Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
I believe sensors with phase af on the main sensor area are in development and that will be a game changer for video.
Such sensor have been on the market 2 years now
Technical Details on Fujifilm's Phase Detection System in F300EXR and Z800EXR - DSLR Photography News & Reviews

07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeeBee1 Quote
I am having problems down loading the video to the PC,can anyone help.
Same as with you do with your photos so i don't see the problem...
Please make a new topic if you need help.
07-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope and Nope.

I HAVE tried it. My 64gb exFAT formatted SDXC card works just fine on my K-5, and even though it will support files being copied to it that are bigger than 8gb, it still won't record a file larger than 4gb using the camera. The size limit is hard-coded into the firmware. At any HD format, this translates to a time limit much shorter than the 30 minute Euro VAT. And either way, your sensor is likely to overheat long before you get to 30 minutes anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Actually it does that because the camera don't work with exFAT (FAT64) but still with FAT32, that's where the 4GB limit comes from not that card itself. If you want you can format a 8GB SDHC card in exFAT and put on files large then 4GB on it, try it if you dont believe me
And the time limit is there because the import VAT is higher for video equipment than for photography equipment, and it's a video camera when it can record for 30+ minute of film.
07-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Just checked and the K5 does not read exFAT, with my K5 with the newest firmware it says "card is not formatted" so if you format the card with the camera you get FAT32 on the card with the 4GB limit.

I know about the time limit andthat you hit the filesize sooner then the time limit but it's information to know about the time limit.

07-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Thanks, I will take this info on board.
Cheers
Gary
07-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
bvg

Photos: Albums
Out of RAM is the most likely answer.
Let me explain the process you might understand why then.

this the process tree as far as i know how it works.

sensor > RAM > processing > RAM > write to SD card

So your sensor writes to the RAM because the sensor needs to "dump" the frame before it records the next frame.
The processor then takes the frame from the RAM and process it but it has little to non memory of his own so it needs to also dump that to the RAM so it can keep on processing.
Another part of the processor takes the process information from the RAM and put it on the SD card.

So long as the sensor has room to "dump" the frames (his information) so that it can keep on recording new frames it will go on.
A slow down in the processor and/or writing to the SD card will fill the RAM memory leaving less and less room for the sensor to "dump" his information and so it will stop when it can't.
If this theory is right it means the processor is too slow. But I cannot believe that designers did not increase processor speed by 25% to avoid that "bottle neck". Also, generally frames are different and have different compressing time and sizes after compressing. Despite that my k-5 has constant limit for record times. BTW my Canon 1100D produces exactly 4gb files.
07-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It's not that strange, the Processor in the K5 was never designed to do video in the first place.
Also we are talking about mjpeg codec, it's quite a bit bigger then what canon use so i can't rule out the write speed of the bus is too low either.
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Want to put your money where your mouth is? Here's a screenshot of my regular K-5 card. See the filesystem?

I'm happy to provide video of the card going in and out of the camera and computer, too....

Just checked and the K5 does not read exFAT, with my K5 with the newest firmware it says "card is not formatted" so if you format the card with the camera you get FAT32 on the card with the 4GB limit.

I know about the time limit andthat you hit the filesize sooner then the time limit but it's information to know about the time limit.

Last edited by dcshooter; 11-20-2013 at 11:37 PM.
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Also, incidentally, this is with firmware 1.03 (I haven't had many of the issues others have, so I haven't seen the need to upgrade), so not even nearly the newest firmware.
08-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Like i said i tried with mine and didnt work, should i provide a video?
08-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Haha, not necessary. I just wanted to prove the proposition that the K-5 can indeed read and write to exFAT-formatted cards (and that the 4GB file size limit is there regardless of what filesystem is in use).

I'm not sure what is going on with your camera/card combo that isn't allowing it to work.

Like i said i tried with mine and didnt work, should i provide a video?
08-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Formatted to exFAT with windows left all settings as default, did used SDHC card but SDHC and SDXC are physically the same so there should be no difference.
Could be the wonders of Pentax coding and that they limited the support for exFAT...
08-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Thank you
08-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I have sorted it out thank you