Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just call the pentax/ricoh parts department directly. There is a very nice lady who works there. Speak kindly to her and explain that you need that button replacement. It is a very inexpensive part. Don't demand that she send it to you for free. Offer to pay for it. If you do this she will most likely just send it to you for free. Make sure to thank her afterwards.

05-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #32

And when you call she'll tell you that Ricoh has changed their policy and no longer sells parts to individuals.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...dividuals.html
06-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #33

Hi,

My K-5 is 2.5 years old and the lens change button just popped off a few days ago. I have the button and the cone (still connected to each other). I have read this thread and I want to confirm that the DIY repair is to super glue the cone to the camera body. Is this correct? There are only two parts, the button and the cone? Sounds simple enough.

Thanks for your help
06-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #34
Inactive Account

The Saga continues

My K5 also had the lens release button come up missing. I just called 303 728-0359 as per this thread. Lynn told me the lens release buttons are not available through them & that I had to contact a dealer. I mentioned (very nicely) this thread but she just ignored the chronic problem.

07-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have my button and the cone thing inside. I am wondering if I can just use super glue and attach it back. inspecting both the button/cone as well as the place where it goes in camera, I don't see any damage.
07-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish that lens release button was on the left instead of the right. It makes it kind of awkward for right handed people, because they have to unscrew the lens with their left hand, while pushing the button with their right hand. Just my 2 cents... No pun intended left-handed people.
07-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #37

I wrap either hand around the lens and press the release button with either my thumb or forefinger of the same hand. The thumb is always towards the mount. Position the hand so the thumb or forefinger is over the release button.

09-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #38

Ahh Damn, mine just fell off tonight...at least it was while I was sitting at the dining room table and I didn't lose the part....I found this thread and started reading...a first I was getting happy seeing that Pentax was sending out replacement buttons...but, by the end of the thread was starting to feel depressed...so, I have just stuck it back on the body using some Blu-Tak putty...

I guess I'll have to try and call this week and see if I can get anything resolved....

I was really happy with my K-5 until this....
10-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #39

Mine came off as well after two years of ownership and hundreds of miles of hiking and carrying the camera in hand or on a tripod with no problems. The plunger is lost and I called Pentax/Ricoh and like the rest of the recent remarks no parts are being sold, am extremely pleased with the camera and have been a Pentax user starting in 1973 but it really seems like the new company would consider selling a part such as this. Also the repair shop that you send your camera to is a second party now.
10-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I seem to remember that there was a thread around here where a member fixed his with a piece from a Lego kit.
10-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #41

An update to my situation:

I took three layers of one inch wide, 1/16" thick 3M Indoor Foam Mounting Tape, stuck them together with the protective paper only on the outside surfaces, and punched out a 1/4" "plug" using a 1/4" punch.

I then took a thin paper clip, heated it up with a portable torch, and used to to punch a hole in the center of this foam plug.

Then I took the protective paper off one side of the foam plug and attached it to the bottom of the lens release button, removed the other protective paper, and installed this in the camera...the photo below shows the sticky side.

There is enough sponginess to allow the button to travel and function properly, and I'm pretty sure that the adhesive is going to keep that button in place for a good long time.

It's stiffer than one I made from white 1/4" thick foam weather stripping and a touch of contact cement, but I feel like it is never going to accidentally come off again and should be a bit weather resistant...
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick_B; 10-07-2014 at 08:50 PM.
01-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #42

Well
Mine was broken for months -
i finally found a website that sold invidivual parts...
finally!
USCamera.com is selling them for only 7$ and change for the button and the rubber cone.

I sent it to precision cam for repairs but it was taking them way too long (waited for a month in vain..) so i had them ship my k5 back.

Ill try to fix it myself with super glue, although I'd like some help from those who have already done the DIY fix.

thanks

peter
01-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just use a large paper clip. Works just fine.
01-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #44
Forum Member

I needed to order one of these for my K5. Unfortunately for me, I lost the button.
All the camera repair shops want me to ship my camera to them and refuse to give an ETA on the repair.
I think its a complete waste of money to go that route. Fixing this button should be simple.
I'm going to order the parts and attempt it myself.

Button:
Genuine Pentax Replacement Parts from USCamera.com

Plunger:
Genuine Pentax Replacement Parts from UScamera.com
01-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #45

I tried gluing the silicone cone with super glue. the button is on there but it looks pretty flimsy.
Only applied the glue to the silicone contact- not sure if theres a better way of approaching this DIY fix.