Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #61

Yes I did, I made a C-ring myself out of a normal ring which I cut with a Dremel. Here's my written guide to replace the button and retainer. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/285879-lens-release-button-2.html#post3191939

You do have to open up the camera and take of the front to replace it correctly. You do need a metal c-clip. So the three parts are the button, the rubber gasket and the c-clip. Please don't use glue as this is not a good long-term solution.

By the way, Foto Maerz will sell you the parts if you need them.

Last edited by Borrelli; 09-23-2016 at 12:45 AM.
09-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Borrelli, thank you for detailing the disassembly in the other thread. Though, it's a bummer that this requires removal of the top and fronts as well - I don't like working with glued-on parts, because re-attaching them after removal is never working well for me. I have no idea where to find the proper glues here in Germany. I used to try several glues I got at hobby places (where they sell self-assembly miniature planes etc.), but nothing worked reliably. I may just save me all the hassle and send it in, though 90€ is a high price when a complete body is now sold used for less than 250€.

But enough of my whining. I know what my options are now. And it's now also clear that the C ring ("circlip") from uscamera is a plastic piece, more likely to break in the future again. Finding or constructing one from metal might be the smarter idea for anyone going down the DIY path.

Rick_B's foam solution post is here, BTW: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/189715-lens-release-button...ml#post2967996. It assumes that you still have (or purchase from uscamera, see http://uscamera.com/77240-a107.htm) the original button part, while you won't need the circlip nor the rubbery cone for his solution, if I understand it correctly. It's similar to gluing the cone to the button and to the camera body, but less messy, I suspect.

Last edited by tempelorg; 09-23-2016 at 01:20 AM.
09-23-2016, 04:50 AM   #63

The cone is for the weather sealing of the shaft, so that is necessary to make it like it's designed to work. You won't need any glue. Everything comes apart with screws. The only part that might need re-attaching afterwards is the rubber grip on the left side. You can reuse the double-sided tape, or use a new piece.

I am not sure if the original c-clip is plastic, or if it has been superseded by a metal one if you order one now. Since you're in Germany, Foto Maerz can and will sell you the separate parts, no problem. You could ask them.
09-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
As I'm in Germany, buying the parts (with rather expensive shipping of $18) adds up to half of what I'd have to pay for a professional replacement by Foto Maerz in Germany. So I'll wait for someone else to report success with these parts before I decide whether to go that route or rather have the pros do it (fortunately, I still have a K20D and a K3 to work with).
The expense of the replacement part is a good point. The K-5 is a couple of generations removed from state of the art at this point, though still and excellent camera. And in the used market can be purchased for less than $300. I think instead of splurging for the replacement button, I'll save my money to put towards a newer model and stick with the paper clip I use in lieu of a lens release button.

09-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #65

Ideally you should change the main weather seal gaskets any time you open the body but then you have to obtain the parts.
09-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #66

I have the same problem. On holiday last month I lost the release button of my K-5
I asked in the store in Antwerp to buy such a button, but they told me that it is not possible to buy one !? It must be sent to the repair-office.
That will cost me about 150 EURO ...
Is it possible to buy one in Germany ? (Foto Maerz ? or are there other solutions ?)

Last edited by shadoogie2960; 10-05-2016 at 03:37 AM.
10-05-2016, 03:36 AM   #67

I just received the three parts from Foto Maerz in Berlin (Germany). It costs me 42 EURO: 15 for the parts - 20 for transport - 7 taxes.
I will try to open the camera and put the release button in place 'the proper way' (with the clip)

12-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #68

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I will be calling Pentax today. When I do the repair I will take a few photos.
If you did your repair, could you send me photos PLEASE? I am looking at same issue and I just got this camera, although old it is new to me. I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.
12-09-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #69

Sorry Jennaann, I have no pictures of the repair ... :-(
The post was from Dave Black ...
The most difficult part was to reach the place to put the tiny thing (mini-clips) around the inside part of the button.
Good luck !
03-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #70
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jennaann Quote
If you did your repair, could you send me photos PLEASE? I am looking at same issue and I just got this camera, although old it is new to me. I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.
I am going to attempt the repair today. I will try and take photos of the process.
03-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #71
Forum Member

I just made the repair yesterday. I took the time to write out the process with photos.

Lens Release Button Steps for Repair - PentaxForums.com