Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
which is why I asked the OP if he could post the Exif data , as I said the same situation has happedned to myself on the K5 , EV Metre was dead on zero with " aperture Shutter " combination set and shot was washed out.
Then your meter must be broke or how else can you explain it?

06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Then your meter must be broke or how else can you explain it?
Anhh , it could have been a case of me pointing to darker part of the scene and taken a meter reading of a darker part of the and locking the exposure setting then recomposing the shot to the bright part of the sky after I had adjusted my shutter and aperture settings and taking the shot . If I remember and I don't have the shot on my card any more so I can't post up the exif data but at some stage I hit the AE-L button ISO was set up too high , took the shot and it was way over exposed , my meter ain't broke. Without seeing the OP'S EXIF data none of us can decipher over the internet exactly what the original poster has done wrong to have his shot come out over exposed.

Last edited by disco_owner; 06-21-2012 at 01:24 PM.
06-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You're now saying something completely different then your first comment.
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Exposure

Thank y'all for all of you posts. I figured that I had the AE lock over exposed by three or four f stops. When I reset it to zero, I'm back in the ball game. Again thanks

06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajaxmgr Quote
Thank y'all for all of you posts. I figured that I had the AE lock over exposed by three or four f stops. When I reset it to zero, I'm back in the ball game. Again thanks
It's always good to know what you did wrong and go back & correct the problem . Keep practicing and you'll amaze yourself how great your photographs will turn out.

What you're referring to is the EV stops pushed up by 3-4 stops. Auto-exposure lock or AE-L just allows you to take a Meter reading of part of a scene so you can correctly expose that part when/if you recompose.I hope this helps.

Cheers khosrow
06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Does EA lock even works in manual mode since its function is obsolete.
The say it simplere why do you need to lock exposure when it won't change anyway?

btw EA lock does work, i remember that i actually use it. When you've found the exposure that works but you want to change the shutter or aperture then you simply press the EA lock and the camera will then automatically adapt the other value for you to keep the exposure the same

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Auto-exposure lock or AE-L just allows you to take a Meter reading of part of a scene so you can correctly expose that part when/if you recompose.I hope this helps.
In automatic modes you're indeed correct but not with manual mode which the OP says he use but there is a button with similar function as you describe when using that mode and that is the green button.

Last edited by Anvh; 06-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.
06-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #22

Review your shots frequently right after you have taken them. Enable the display of the histogram, while in viewing mode.
You can also tweak your front and rear dials to adjust certain things, like exposure compensation via the front dial when in AV mode (in my case).
As mentioned above, setting the metering mode takes some practice as well.
When I check my histogram, I can quickly see if I need to dial in some exposure compensation, but it also requires that I meter the same area as before, when taking the next shot.
Hey it's digital, so hit that shutter button without fear and regrets.

Last edited by Catalana; 06-27-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: adding text
08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
CMG

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You're now saying something completely different then your first comment.
+1. Btw...what exactly is the purpose of the "green button"? I generally shoot in M and I don't know if the green button does anything in that mode....?? (I do shoot in Av or TV if I the situation calls for quick shots...I'm not superhuman or anything )).

Slightly off topic...why one would use EV adjustment in M mode? Been reading that people use it, but it seems counter intuitive to me because it "recalibrates/throws off" your meter...maybe I'm missing something.

08-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes the green button works as a sort automatic mode on comment.
IN the custom menu you can change the behaviour.
Either it uses MTF mode so it changes shutter and aperture to optimal levels according to the camera, or it only changes the shutterspeed or the aperture.
So it's like P mode, Av and Tv but then on command.

I've the green button set to shift Tv so the shutterspeed is changed. I use it to get to the correct exposure faster.
So look at the scene > green button to take a metering > look at the histogram > adjust if needed

Pentax is known to underexpose slightly so i can understand some overexpose.

Last edited by Anvh; 08-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.
08-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
+1. Btw...what exactly is the purpose of the "green button"? I generally shoot in M and I don't know if the green button does anything in that mode....?? (I do shoot in Av or TV if I the situation calls for quick shots...I'm not superhuman or anything )).
I just spent some time with several lenses ( SMC-M, SMC-A and full auto lenses), testing the green button. As I was cycling through the various shooting modes,
it became apparent that I'd be here all night trying to ferret out the various behaviors particular to the type of lens and mode, but in general, for me the most important
function of the green button is "stop down metering" when shooting with a manual lens such as an SMC-M. You can often get by with the "Sunny 16 rule", but it is convenient to
use the green button. It's not perfect, because the metering defaults to center weighted (I think you can also set it to spot metering), and I find myself chimping the histogram quite a bit.

If you have such lenses, try it out for yourself. There are also some distinct differences when using a lens that has the A setting available,
simply because of certain contacts being available on the lens. It is quite interesting to see how the camera behaves.