Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Washed out over exposed photos

When using the on camera meter in bright sunlight, in manual mode my pictures are coming out over exposed even when the meter bar is showing shutter and aperture are matched. In Oder to get a proper exposure in manual mode I have to really under expose and run my
Meter almost all the way to the left. This happens even if the white balance is set to shade. I can set the camera to green mode and get a proper exposure. Any thoughts

06-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the metering mode set on spot, if so try another mode.
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes it is, thanks I'll try that today
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The other two modes do roughly the same job, but matrix mode the green one uses a smarter system but since it's a smarter system you don't know precisely how it works or what it precisely meters but it's quite accurate though so depends on what you want.

06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Anvh mostly on this. However knowing how metering and exposure works allows you to outhink the camera as well. I mostly use spot metering and meter a spot i want to fall in middle grey to get the exposure i want versus what the camera is guessing at (unless I am shooting on the fly in tav mode for street shooting where the matrix mode works mostly well enough)

grab a copy of this from the library and read it. it will help your photography more than any gear you own

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.ca: Bryan Peterson: Books
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you push the green button on the back of he camera before you took the photograph? I have to ask as that is exactly what happened to me when I first got my K5. My first DSLR and I was using it like my SLR's. Way more complex.
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I would suggest getting your feet wet in Av, Tv and or TAv modes before diving straight from green to manual mode + manual white balance.
06-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I would suggest getting your feet wet in Av, Tv and or TAv modes before diving straight from green to manual mode + manual white balance.
Agreed.

06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Why do you shoot in M mode? Do you think you can judge the light better than an array of sensors and a computer? I can understand using M mode if you are learning photography or shooting in studio, but most situations Hyper program works better at metering than any sunny 16 rule. Hyper program is unique to Pentax, and is one of the reasons I like Pentax dSLRs.
06-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Why do you shoot in M mode? Do you think you can judge the light better than an array of sensors and a computer?
Yes because you know how you want the photo too look like, camera doesnt even known preciesly what kind of photo it is most of the time and what kind of metereing is correct.
I shoot in M-mode 99% of the time and i dont see what all the fuzz is about....

For the other people suggestion other modes, you've no idea what he is doing and what he knows or doesnt known. Besides the other modes arent a solution to his problem to begin with...
06-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Meter for a mid tone, I find grass/concrete is pretty effective.
06-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Hi there , could you please post your exif data for the shot you took and place it in here for us to see ,I can almost guarantee you have your ISO set too high in M-mode when shooting in broad daylight t's happened to me once by accident when shooting in bright sulight I was shooting with 12800 ISO . It completly washes out my image.
06-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Hi there , could you please post your exif data for the shot you took and place it in here for us to see ,I can almost guarantee you have your ISO set too high in M-mode when shooting in broad daylight t's happened to me once by accident when shooting in bright sulight I was shooting with 12800 ISO . It completly washes out my image.
Then your meter wont say the exposure is correct.
06-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

Hi Ajaxmgr,

M, AV, TV, SV, TAV is only a mode for the user preference. M-mode is of course most difficult since the inputs are totally from the user who should carry a metering device or have a good experience to justify a suitable exposure value. Other four modes are basically for users to change one or two inputs and then leave other settings decided by the camera.

Different metering selection - spot, center-weighted, multi-segment is important but it should not affect very much on the exposure. If you do not know much about this, you are suggested to pick center-weighted first.

You may use the green mode first to take a shot. If the exposure is not correct, you can check out its setting of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and then you can use the M-mode to take some further photos with certain adjustment from the setting of 1st photo. M-mode used here is just for testing your understanding. You are highly suggested to used AV and TV mode for real photographing!

Last edited by SKwan; 06-20-2012 at 08:42 AM.
06-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Then your meter wont say the exposure is correct.

which is why I asked the OP if he could post the Exif data , as I said the same situation has happedned to myself on the K5 , EV Metre was dead on zero with " aperture Shutter " combination set and shot was washed out.