Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Weird exposure problem...

I just joined the Pentax family with a K5, and I'm having an odd underexposure problem. All shots look great and perfectly exposed on the LCD, and all are significantly underexposed when I download them and view them in Windows Photo Viewer. I've checked Highlight Correction (set to off), metering mode, etc. as recommended in other threads, but there's no obvious cause. Right now I'm shooting large JPEGs. If the problem were slight, I'd just crank the EV up a bit and move on, but it takes quite a bit of brightening to make the shots pleasing to the eye. Does Pentax do this intentionally for some reason, or is it possibly defective?

06-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
combination of two things really:
1. pentax cameras, from my experience, like to underexpose by about a stop. I usually shoot with exposure comp at +0.5 when in RAW or +1 in JPEG
2. your jpeg processing settings in camera my not be optimal. try checking a few of these out, such as the high key/low key setting, which can affect the exposure
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your monitor calibrated? Brightness and contrast settings will affect what you're seeing. Also, angle of view can have an influence.
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight. It looks like it's underexposing by 2/3 to a full stop, so it sounds like it's normal. My monitor is cheap and old as well, so that probably doesn't help. I was just surprised because my Canon shots always pretty much looked the same on the LCD and the computer monitor. The shots do look gorgeous on the Pentax LCD though, so I know I'm capturing some good stuff. Perhaps it's time to start looking into RAW.

06-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #5

I'm also having this problem. When using an 18-55mm wr lense, shooting in RAW, the LCD shows shots that look perfectly exposed with great colour. When viewed on the computer, they're significantly darker and extremely blue. This has nothing to do with the WB as those settings have been changed to suit lighting, and with manual lenses everything shot and seen on the LCD looks the same on the computer. i've played with the settings on the camera but nothing seems to help.