Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, you cannot borrow my Leica S2.

06-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks like a fair amount of direct pressure. I have shot in heavy rain and rinsed under gentle spray from a faucet with no ill effects. Cool shots BTW.
06-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Forum Member

I have used my K-5 + 18-135 WR once in a mountain rain storm, and once laying in the back of a boat shooting water skiing on a rather rainy day. I have seen no ill effects from this, and the camera got thoroughly wet on the outside both times, but I did take care to not get more rain on the lens than necessary when zoomed to the tele end (and hence elongated). The water that did get on the lens seemed to get caught in some seals when zooming in and out, and the wet seals left wet traces after the shooting. I let the lens lay fully extended for a day, and there were no traces of any wetness from the seals after that. I did not see any water inside of the lens or camera. I think putting the camera under a faucet is slightly harsher treatment than most normal rain.

Hmm, wait a minute, I did see one ill effect: if there is water on the filter (or front element in the case no filter is used), the pictures will be less sharp. ;P I found that the lens hood does a good job of keeping water off the filter, as long as the camera is not pointed against the wind or up (obviously).
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Why, why, why, WHY? Why do this with your own camera. I look at the water-resistance as a "just in case" kind of insurance policy. "I was out shooting & it started to rain. Good thing my camera is water resistant." Unless you're some kind of product tester, I would NEVER do something like that deliberately.

But, it's your money ...

06-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NewportPreacher Quote
Why, why, why, WHY? Why do this with your own camera. I look at the water-resistance as a "just in case" kind of insurance policy. "I was out shooting & it started to rain. Good thing my camera is water resistant." Unless you're some kind of product tester, I would NEVER do something like that deliberately.

But, it's your money ...
yeah, I WOULD NOT DO IT TWICE.......
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
yeah, I WOULD NOT DO IT TWICE.......
you should store both pieces with a huge bowl of rice in a dry enclosed area (or a big bag of silica. if you had water in the VF you probably have some elsewhere. let it sit for too long and it will cause issues down the road. I wouldn't even try it (but i have shot for extended periods with both my K10 and K7 in torrential rain - nothing approaching that level of water pressure though)
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the whole story is this
after shower the camera does not show any sigh of water goes inside.
it was the next day, I took my camera out to shoot. and the temperature was like 90 degree, then I start to feel the VF getting blur anf blur. and eventually the entire VF filled with water vapor
so I put camera at home. for about 1 to 2 days. all the water vapor have gone.

06-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #23
Inactive Account

It's designed to resist rain or a light splashing - what you've done is a lot more than that!

It's definitely not truly dust proof because mine has dust in the viewfinder. Of course the lower-cost WR lenses aren't as well sealed as the DA* lenses, so there's a potential problem spot.

You sir are a madman!
06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I shot that with a K20D and 50-200mm generation 1 lens (non WR) during a thunderstorm in Daytona a few years ago. I'm happy to report that my K20 lived a long and happy life until I traded it for a K5 at the end of that summer. But I know who has my K20D and they still use it to this day. The 50-200mm never skipped a beat either.

That wasn't the only time I went out in the rain with that combo either... so It rust the WR, even when its not WR.
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
the whole story is this
after shower the camera does not show any sigh of water goes inside.
it was the next day, I took my camera out to shoot. and the temperature was like 90 degree, then I start to feel the VF getting blur anf blur. and eventually the entire VF filled with water vapor
so I put camera at home. for about 1 to 2 days. all the water vapor have gone.

I'm never buying any gear from you in the marketplace
06-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

So, what are you going to test next? The air bag in your car?
06-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm never buying any gear from you in the marketplace
haha..my k-5 has been abused in many way. all kind of injury now..
I think I can never resell it

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-30-2012 at 07:44 AM.
06-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Despite the amount of negativity in this thread, I found what you did to be humorous and interesting. I wouldn't do it to mine at such high pressure, but I definitely would wash my k-5/k-30 if it gets dirty.
06-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
CDW
Site Supporter

I haven't gone to the extreme of putting them under a facet but I shot both my K5 and 645d in tropical downpours in Polynesia with nary a hiccup.
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumbest thing I've ever seen. That's not a shower, it's a forceful stream.