Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,844
ifringe, I assume:
- with every SD card you use, you only format it in the camera (ie K-5) before using it
- you keep your SD cards away from excessive heat (eg don't store them in a hot car, or use them in camera when they are red hot) and magnetism (eg you don't store them on top of any speakers, near CRT displays, computer power supplies etc)
- you are using the Pentax supplied USB cable that came with the camera when you copy from camera to computer, and that USB cable isn't damaged
- if you use an external card reader or built-in card reader in your PC, that card reader isn't full of gunk, fully supports SDHC, etc
- you never switch the camera off before it has had time to successfully write an image to the card.

Assuming all of the above is OK, is there any pattern to when the image problems occur? Like does the problem mainly occur when shooting high ISO, or when the camera body temperature is running hot (EXIF records that info), or when you are using a particular shooting mode (AF-C?, long exposures? ), or any custom image settings, or only after shooting a big burst of shots until the buffer is full, etc. Or is it totally random?

08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Forum Member
ifringe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
ifringe, I assume:
- with every SD card you use, you only format it in the camera (ie K-5) before using it
Yes. I format the card only in the camera it will be used in, and do not delete images from the computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- you keep your SD cards away from excessive heat (eg don't store them in a hot car, or use them in camera when they are red hot) and magnetism (eg you don't store them on top of any speakers, near CRT displays, computer power supplies etc)
yup!

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- you are using the Pentax supplied USB cable that came with the camera when you copy from camera to computer, and that USB cable isn't damaged
- if you use an external card reader or built-in card reader in your PC, that card reader isn't full of gunk, fully supports SDHC, etc
No. BUT... I have discovered that if I develop the RAW in camera into a JPG, the image is corrupt. So I reason that the transfer doesn't matter. Having said that, I did try to go back to the original Pentax cable just to see if it made a difference. It did not. Good points about my card reader. Never had a problem with it before, nor do I have a problem with any K10 files.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- you never switch the camera off before it has had time to successfully write an image to the card.
These cameras have an off switch? No. I do not turn it off mid write. About 99% of the time the camera powers itself down.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Assuming all of the above is OK, is there any pattern to when the image problems occur? Like does the problem mainly occur when shooting high ISO, or when the camera body temperature is running hot (EXIF records that info), or when you are using a particular shooting mode (AF-C?, long exposures? ), or any custom image settings, or only after shooting a big burst of shots until the buffer is full, etc. Or is it totally random?
Again, excellent points.

If I shoot DNG+JPG, or PEF+JPG, the JPG image is always perfect. But sooner or later the DNG or RAW has a problem. I went through my pile of SD cards before I realized it happened across cards, types and manufacturers (I figured it HAD to be the card.) It appears random to my eyes, but there has to be a pattern I am not seeing. Maybe it does get too hot... I'll pay attention to that. I shoot almost always low ISO. And I do a TON of long exposure. I'll go back through some particularly troublesome shoots and see if I see anything with these new thoughts.

It also dawned on me that perhaps I ought to reset my camera to factory settings, and see if the problem happens. If not, then I'll add in the menu settings I use, one by one, and sooner or later I will find it.

Thank you all for the help!
david
08-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,844
Sounds like you are doing everything you can do to investigate this. I think there probably is some pattern to the behaviour, it's just a matter of deducing it.

It's like figuring out why a PC sometimes starts crashing with the blue screen of death, but then after a re-boot runs fine for six months again without incident. Cameras are increasingly the same.

In the meantime, pick up a cheap K-x or K-7 as a camera backup, just in case you may need to send your K-5 away for a while ...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, preview
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird K5 problem Paul Evans Pentax K-5 9 01-16-2012 05:23 AM
Intermittent AF front focus problem on FA 50mm Quazimoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 01-01-2012 02:24 PM
Weird problem with K10D RipDaJacker Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 08-07-2010 10:05 AM
645 intermittent problem :( Asahiflex Pentax Medium Format 6 09-22-2009 09:11 AM
Intermittent problem w/AF on K10D dales Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 10-28-2008 01:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top