Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ifringe, I assume:
- with every SD card you use, you only format it in the camera (ie K-5) before using it
- you keep your SD cards away from excessive heat (eg don't store them in a hot car, or use them in camera when they are red hot) and magnetism (eg you don't store them on top of any speakers, near CRT displays, computer power supplies etc)
- you are using the Pentax supplied USB cable that came with the camera when you copy from camera to computer, and that USB cable isn't damaged
- if you use an external card reader or built-in card reader in your PC, that card reader isn't full of gunk, fully supports SDHC, etc
- you never switch the camera off before it has had time to successfully write an image to the card.

Assuming all of the above is OK, is there any pattern to when the image problems occur? Like does the problem mainly occur when shooting high ISO, or when the camera body temperature is running hot (EXIF records that info), or when you are using a particular shooting mode (AF-C?, long exposures? ), or any custom image settings, or only after shooting a big burst of shots until the buffer is full, etc. Or is it totally random?

08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
ifringe, I assume:
- with every SD card you use, you only format it in the camera (ie K-5) before using it
Yes. I format the card only in the camera it will be used in, and do not delete images from the computer.

- you keep your SD cards away from excessive heat (eg don't store them in a hot car, or use them in camera when they are red hot) and magnetism (eg you don't store them on top of any speakers, near CRT displays, computer power supplies etc)
yup!

- you are using the Pentax supplied USB cable that came with the camera when you copy from camera to computer, and that USB cable isn't damaged
- if you use an external card reader or built-in card reader in your PC, that card reader isn't full of gunk, fully supports SDHC, etc
No. BUT... I have discovered that if I develop the RAW in camera into a JPG, the image is corrupt. So I reason that the transfer doesn't matter. Having said that, I did try to go back to the original Pentax cable just to see if it made a difference. It did not. Good points about my card reader. Never had a problem with it before, nor do I have a problem with any K10 files.

- you never switch the camera off before it has had time to successfully write an image to the card.
These cameras have an off switch? No. I do not turn it off mid write. About 99% of the time the camera powers itself down.

Assuming all of the above is OK, is there any pattern to when the image problems occur? Like does the problem mainly occur when shooting high ISO, or when the camera body temperature is running hot (EXIF records that info), or when you are using a particular shooting mode (AF-C?, long exposures? ), or any custom image settings, or only after shooting a big burst of shots until the buffer is full, etc. Or is it totally random?
Again, excellent points.

If I shoot DNG+JPG, or PEF+JPG, the JPG image is always perfect. But sooner or later the DNG or RAW has a problem. I went through my pile of SD cards before I realized it happened across cards, types and manufacturers (I figured it HAD to be the card.) It appears random to my eyes, but there has to be a pattern I am not seeing. Maybe it does get too hot... I'll pay attention to that. I shoot almost always low ISO. And I do a TON of long exposure. I'll go back through some particularly troublesome shoots and see if I see anything with these new thoughts.

It also dawned on me that perhaps I ought to reset my camera to factory settings, and see if the problem happens. If not, then I'll add in the menu settings I use, one by one, and sooner or later I will find it.

Thank you all for the help!
david
08-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you are doing everything you can do to investigate this. I think there probably is some pattern to the behaviour, it's just a matter of deducing it.

It's like figuring out why a PC sometimes starts crashing with the blue screen of death, but then after a re-boot runs fine for six months again without incident. Cameras are increasingly the same.

In the meantime, pick up a cheap K-x or K-7 as a camera backup, just in case you may need to send your K-5 away for a while ...