Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
direct K-5 successor?

I am wondering if Pantax has ever officially talked about a direct K-5 successor?
sorry for my ignorance, I am not a Pentax user yet. therefore I had not been following Pentax's news until the last two weeks.

the reason I ask because I am very interesting in get a K-5, and today I went to Yodobashi (a very big electronic chain store here in Japan) just to find out that it is out of stock at the particular store I go, but they can help order it from another chain store, and it is very few left in stock for the whole Japan. I will have to wait about 4 days. the reason is "they, Pentax will not produce any more of K-5 model"!
I also went to Big Camera, which is another big electronic store here. I got a similar answer!

Ok, I don't know if the discontinued news of k-5 is new or old in this forum, but it's definitely new for me.
I couldn't find an official source confirming about the discontinue neither a news about the successor of the K-5.
(there might be news about this, but as I said before, I has just gotten interest in Pentax K-5 for about two weeks only. )

If anyone here know anything about the K-5 successor, please post a link here. (official source is preferred.)
thank you in advance.

06-24-2012, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax doesn't talk As far as the successor goes, it will probably be announced at photokina, but nobody knows anything about it at this time. It's also not known where or not the K-5 will be discontinued now or later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

we know nothing!
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Seeing that the recent price cuts nearly put it in line with the K30, I'd imagine a replacement is fairly imminent. You could wait for a new model but the K5 is a pretty sweet camera and is likely much cheaper currently than its replacement will be. You could also consider the upcoming K30, which is quite similar to the K5 in many respects.

06-24-2012, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Seeing that the recent price cuts nearly put it in line with the K30, I'd imagine a replacement is fairly imminent. You could wait for a new model but the K5 is a pretty sweet camera and is likely much cheaper currently than its replacement will be. You could also consider the upcoming K30, which is quite similar to the K5 in many respects.
This is true for sure. Expect a new model after K-5 to start at a pricepoint 50 % higher then K-5 is at the moment.
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

All I know is I got a K-5 about a month ago and I-am-loving-it.

It is my first DSLR.

By the time I wear it out I will know it was money well spent. Who cares if its discontinued or not. Just wait the 4 days and get a bargain on a really great camera.

One of my friends who is a world famous photographer who has shot more magazine covers than I can count uses a camera that was introduced in 2008 and has been preceeded by about 4 more generations already. He's not a bandwagon kind of guy or a victim of clever marketing. He has the tools he needs and sticks with them.

Per his quote when I asked about what camera to get..."Its not so much the camera...it would be like going to eat a 5 star meal and then commenting afterwards to the chef 'you must have some awesome pots and pans'..."

Who knows....the buyout by Ricoh could be having some effects in the short term... as it usually does.

My only gripe so to speak about Pentax is I am tired of hunting high and low for a variety of good lenses. Even that is a double edged sword though. Since I am a novice I can buy several Pentax lenses for the price as ONE Canon lens.

Its an economical way to start (and learn) using the older $50 to $100 lenses but once I nail down my style and learn and know more about it, it would be nice to have Pentax offering more primo top notch auto focus glass....

Heck, they could even start to reproduce some of the older manual focus lenses...have a complete run of the top 50 manual lenses throughout history or something like that so I am not relegated to eBay all the time in some price war or looking around for third party lenses.

In my opinion Pentax needs to develop a broader range of lenses before they start hauling off and messing with their already excellent camera bodies. (I can only talk about the K-5)

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
06-24-2012, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Picasso's are discontinued too, but since when has that stopped anyone?

06-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you for all the answers. I am 99% sure I will get the K-5 in the next 3 days.
somebody mention about k-30, I saw all k-30's color shaded and it body design yesterday. i would go with K-5.
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
thank you for all the answers. I am 99% sure I will get the K-5 in the next 3 days.
somebody mention about k-30, I saw all k-30's color shaded and it body design yesterday. i would go with K-5.
Trust me, if you are not a professional looking for something very very specific you cannot go wrong with the K-5.

Buy a bargain and buy it with confidence.

I have had mine just over a month and it's been a joy.

Just think of it as possibly buying a brand new 2012 car (same model) that has never been driven for $10,000 less simply because the batch of 2013 cars just arrived...and the only thing 'different' on the new car is the cup holders are redesigned...

And in any case all this talk about discontinuing the K-5 is sheer speculation.
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The K5 is a great camera, no need for you to wait and then spend a premium on a theoretical (although likely) successor. One thing that always strikes me reading these posts is how many people are shooting great photos with cameras that are sometimes a few generations old. Pentax makes a good camera and they have for a while.
06-24-2012, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Trust me, if you are not a professional looking for something very very specific you cannot go wrong with the K-5.

Buy a bargain and buy it with confidence.

I have had mine just over a month and it's been a joy.

Just think of it as possibly buying a brand new 2012 car (same model) that has never been driven for $10,000 less simply because the batch of 2013 cars just arrived...and the only thing 'different' on the new car is the cup holders are redesigned...

And in any case all this talk about discontinuing the K-5 is sheer speculation.
Absolutely agree at current prices the K-5 is a no-brainer - it still holds up to the most current aps-c cameras despite being almost 2 years old now (4 months shy anyway).

Regarding your last point though, when a smaller manufacturer like pentax announces a camera body has been discontinued, the truth is it would have been out of production for some time. If a replacement comes late fall, the K-5 is likely already done being produced and the new camera rolling down the line - yet it would probably be into Spring before it is officially discontinued, it has been like that forever! While I don't see replacing my K-5 with its successor at this point, I do hope they produce a winner and that they don't fall into the recent traps of not being able to fulfill new orders that other companies seem to be falling into (whether deliberately or innocently who knows!).
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I agree that unless you are a Pro shooter with very specific needs, there is no need to wait for the next Pentax. Most everyone that owns the K5 is overjoyed at its performance...including me....and Otis!
Best Regards!
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I'd recommend spending the extra money ($20 here in the US) for the extra 2 year warranty if you get the K5 new. Not too bad for the extra coverage.
06-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Forum Member

Let me bring you up to speed. We know nothing... now your are up to speed.