Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Again... thanks everyone. Good advice.

Now, on to a LCD protector (the one on my K20D) definitely proved its worth! Unfortunately, I cannot recall who I purchased from b/c it is really high quality and has an anti-glare coating.

I am considering two types:

ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K5 K-5 K5D D | eBay

3 Screen Protector Pentax S1 K-5 I10 H90 E90 X70 WS80 | eBay

Any opinions?
I use the ACMAXX on my K-5 and really like it.

The adhesive on the top LCD seems to allow a bit of movement of the protector once in a while but it's not a big issue. The adhesive doesn't seem to really harden up which could be a good and/or bad thing.

I quite like the silver trim on the protectors, note that the back LCD protector does tend to cover up the Pentax logo (it's not an issue for me)

I actually had one of the Canadian Pentax Reps (they do really exist) favourably comment on the protectors when he saw them on my camera at a show. He really liked them.

I'd advise anyone to purchase their camera from a dealer in THEIR OWN country to avoid risk. It does avoid warranty issues unless you find a good deal for a second or backup camera somewhere else.

For my main camera I prefer to know where it came from.

07-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just sold my K20D for $500 cash to a nice young lady (her first DSLR)!

Hope she enjoys this camera as much as I did (you know, minus the DFS problem that I never liked). My new K5 is purchased and on the way. :-)
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Congrats! Looks like we both have our K-5's on the way!
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have not really looked at K5 prices since I was able to pick up mine in January. That said, the US retailer Abe's of Maine has a body only for $879 no tax, free shippingThrow $20 at B&H or Adromara for the warranty and be set for 3 years. Its a no brainer. If something is wrong, just exchange it.

I upgraded from the K20 in January and I do believe that you will really like it....

Actually I was wrong. Adorama has the body only for $799. no tax and $11 shipping. Why go anywhere else? - ok - I just saw used in their page, so Abe's appears to have the lowest new price...
I thought the $20 warranty available at Adorama is for a camera purchased at Adorama. Are you sure you could buy it to apply to a camera purchased from Abe's of Maine?

07-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
hurry up, get your K5 and I guarantee that you will have a blast!
I don't know about a guarantee. There are K-5 owners with focus issues out there. I have a K20D and K-x. I bought a K-5 a year ago. It had serious FF in tungsten light and a firmware upgrade didn't help. I asked for a refund instead of return, because I wasn't confident they could fix the tungsten issue and because I didn't think it added much over and above what I already had. I'm waiting for the K-3.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Can someone tell me if the K7 battery grip fits on the K5 camera?
Yes it does
07-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Throw $20 at B&H or Adromara for the warranty and be set for 3 years. Its a no brainer. If something is wrong, just exchange it.
I wish this was offered in Canada. We just get the automatic 1 year warranty, and then a paid upgrade of 180.00 for an additional 2 years. As far as I know, at least.

But congrats on your K5 purchase! I also had a k20d (for a short time) and loved it. The k5 is a noticeable difference - i'm sure you'll love it.
07-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saff Quote
I wish this was offered in Canada. We just get the automatic 1 year warranty, and then a paid upgrade of 180.00 for an additional 2 years. As far as I know, at least.
If you live in Canada and buy a Pentax camera or lens from an authorized dealer, it comes with a two-year warranty.

07-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If you live in Canada and buy a Pentax camera or lens from an authorized dealer, it comes with a two-year warranty.
Really? I was told it was only 1 year when I purchased mine. That's good to know, though. Is that indicated somewhere?
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
klh
Site Supporter

I have used the ACMAXX covers of both my K20D and K-5. I would highly recommend them. Perfect fit, easy to clean, and they feel like they would protect more than just scratches.
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saff Quote
Really? I was told it was only 1 year when I purchased mine. That's good to know, though. Is that indicated somewhere?
Scroll down to Exclusive PENTAX 2-Year Canadian Warranty:
PENTAX Canada | Warranty Information
07-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats! The K5 is the first digital that I have felt I might have for a very long time. Easy for me to say when there isn't a new model to compare it against though....

I've also found the brick and mortar stores to be comparable or cheaper than ebay. It's not advertised but Lens and Shutter has (had?) the K5 on display for $800.
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #28

Scroll down to Exclusive PENTAX 2-Year Canadian Warranty:
PENTAX Canada | Warranty Information
Wow, thanks so much. I guess the people at the store were misinformed.