Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Finally ready to upgrade from my K20D to a K5!! Any concerns?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello folks,

I am placing one of my K20Ds for sale today and purchasing a K5 as my replacement. My wife is allowing me to do this b/c I just sold one of my Nikkor lenses for $2300.00. :-) Happy! Yeah, the rule is that I am only allowed to buy new 'toys' if I make apx. 2x the cost of the new purchase. I expect to get about $450 for the K20D... so that gives me about $1375 to spend. :-)

In regards to the K5, I heard that earlier models have imaging problems, such as image sensor 'staining', back focusing issues, banding (not THAT again! I have that with the K20D!), and shutter lock ups. Unless I can find a good deal in Canada, I plan to purchase through eBay (in the U.S.)... which means I will not have a warranty. Normally, if the camera is good from day-one, I am willing to risk going sans-warranty, partly because my experience with Pentax warranty service is very poor (re: banding that was never fixed and their rudeness during that warranty service period).

Anyhow, I want to ensure that I am purchasing a newer model, which presumably has all the kinks worked out. Which at which serial number level should I look for?

Finally, what do you folks think of these two eBay offers (in order of preference):

$869
Prodigital appears to have one of the best reps for Pentax sales.
Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p
NEW Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p 27075176546 | eBay

$810
Pentax K-5 DSLR Body Only-NIB-USA Manufactr's Warranty-Bundle w/ Adobe Software
Pentax K-5 DSLR Body Only-NIB-USA Manufactr's Warranty-Bundle w/ Adobe Software 27075176546 | eBay

$1029
NEW PENTAX K-5 K5 DSLR CAMERA + DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 F/3.5-5.6
NEW PENTAX K-5 K5 DSLR CAMERA + DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 F/3.5-5.6 WR LENS KIT | eBay

Thanks for your advice!

06-27-2012, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommend if you are in US only buy from US. The Adorama and BHPhoto prices aren't that far off and there appears to be some disagreement as to whether Canada units are honored in US for warranty.
Also, buy the 2 year Pentax extended warranty as it is cheap.
The stains are long gone.
There still appears to be a few mentions of release button and mirror flop issues, but the majority of units are good.
Mine has been flawless and it is an old-ish serial number.
You can check the serial number database here to see what folks are reporting.
I'd buy body only as you can buy a kit WR lens for less than $200 if you decide you need it.
06-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will not regret it.
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You already have lenses so I would get body only - unless you get a good enough bundle price and sell the kit anyway.

Your old grip and batteries (if any) will not work.

06-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not really looked at K5 prices since I was able to pick up mine in January. That said, the US retailer Abe's of Maine has a body only for $879 no tax, free shippingThrow $20 at B&H or Adromara for the warranty and be set for 3 years. Its a no brainer. If something is wrong, just exchange it.

I upgraded from the K20 in January and I do believe that you will really like it....

Actually I was wrong. Adorama has the body only for $799. no tax and $11 shipping. Why go anywhere else? - ok - I just saw used in their page, so Abe's appears to have the lowest new price...

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-27-2012 at 08:16 PM.
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I love Adorama! My favorite store for all things photography and astronomy. :-) Never dealt with Abe's but I have heard they are good to deal with.
06-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can someone tell me if the K7 battery grip fits on the K5 camera?

06-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax K5 on the way!

Hey folks,

I really hope this was a good deal... it seems good, what are your opinions?

For $1389 - Pentax K-5 DIGITAL SLR Camera with Pentax DA 10-17mm ED (IF) FISHEYE Lens Kit

NEW Pentax K-5 DIGITAL SLR Camera with DA 10-17mm ED (IF) FISHEYE Lens Kit | eBay

I priced checked the 10-17mm lens and the best possible price (right now) appears to be around $540.00. So that means that I picked up the Pentax K-5 for $849.00.

Also, I am interested in purchasing this hand grip (with 2x 2000 maH batteries):
DSTE D-BG4 DBG4 Battery grip For Pentax K-7 K-5 K7 K5 SLR Camera + 2 PCS D-LI90 | eBay

It is labelled as a BG for a K7 but I thought that the K7 and K5 were not quite compatible...??
06-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from a K20 to a K5 over a year and a half ago, but I'm going to throw some sand in your plans.

The upgrade is well worth it - BUT - with rumors that Pentax will be debuting the K5's successor this fall, I would be tempted to wait and see what it is. Even if you decide it's not worth paying extra for the successor, it's introduction may drive the K5 prices even lower, or you might pick up a used one from someone upgrading.

Just a thought.
06-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-7 grip and K-5 grip are the same. There is variation in quality of the 3rd party grips, the main drawback is that none of them are weathersealed.
Some users of 3rd party grips have reported buttons not working correctly, the battery management not working as designed, or even the grip causing the camera to do strange things.
Consider buying the original Pentax one if it is possible.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/116308-no...ce-needed.html and related
06-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I upgraded from a K20 to a K5 over a year and a half ago, but I'm going to throw some sand in your plans.

The upgrade is well worth it - BUT - with rumors that Pentax will be debuting the K5's successor this fall, I would be tempted to wait and see what it is. Even if you decide it's not worth paying extra for the successor, it's introduction may drive the K5 prices even lower, or you might pick up a used one from someone upgrading.

Just a thought.
Not really sand.

I am aware that Pentax is likely going to release a new model (and consequently lower the price of the K5), but I needed to replace my K20D now b/c of a vacation at the end of July where I plan to take a lot of night-time photography. The K20D, as most are aware, is just not very good at that. Besides, with the K5's successor means that the K20D's value lowers more significantly. Better to sell the K20D now.
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The K-7 grip and K-5 grip are the same. There is variation in quality of the 3rd party grips, the main drawback is that none of them are weathersealed.
Some users of 3rd party grips have reported buttons not working correctly, the battery management not working as designed, or even the grip causing the camera to do strange things.
Consider buying the original Pentax one if it is possible.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/116308-no...ce-needed.html and related
Awesome advice!

Thank you
06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again... thanks everyone. Good advice.

BTW, I ended up purchasing the $60 battery grip b/c, overall, the reviews were actually pretty good. It doesn't have weather sealing (but this is something I can fabricate to some extent) but everything else appears to be identical to the original Pentax product, and I'll save over $100.00.

Now, on to a LCD protector (the one on my K20D) definitely proved its worth! Unfortunately, I cannot recall who I purchased from b/c it is really high quality and has an anti-glare coating.

I am considering two types:

ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K5 K-5 K5D D | eBay

3 Screen Protector Pentax S1 K-5 I10 H90 E90 X70 WS80 | eBay

Any opinions?
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried going through my email to find out where I got the screen cover for mine but couldn't find it. Instead of plastic, it is actually very thin glass. I like it because it cleans very easily. I'm always leaving nose prints on the display and they wipe right off the glass. I've had plastic type films on other cameras and phones and like this glass piece far more.

It looks a lot like this: Glass Cover
06-30-2012, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I loved my K20, but after getting the K5, the K20 is not used at all. Selling here where I stay is not an option and I planned to keep it as a back-up, but I actually do feel guilty about not using it. So still a very good back-up, but in the meanwhile, hurry up, get your K5 and I guarantee that you will have a blast!