Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
My suspicion is that it is the lens aperture control lever. I believe that the camera aperture control mechanism pushes against the lens aperture control lever on start up to open the lens aperture up to its widest.
This is incorrect. Mount a lens and the lens aperture linkage will open to the largest aperture and there is no sound or movement of the aperture linkage when the camera is switched on. The screeching sound iamarunr is referring to is the ultrasonic dust removal at startup, which is normal.

06-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
This is incorrect. Mount a lens and the lens aperture linkage will open to the largest aperture and there is no sound or movement of the aperture linkage when the camera is switched on. The screeching sound iamarunr is referring to is the ultrasonic dust removal at startup, which is normal.
All I can tell you is that I have dust removal on start up. I can't hear it. Others have asked if it works because they can't hear it. My K-r has physical dust shake. I can hear it and feel it. The K-5's is ultrasonic as you have written; not heard-not felt.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
well my K5 and K7 always make a similar noise on startup, K7 a bit louder, with or without a lens.
I always had ( incl my KX- that one is much louder , older non ultrasonic system) dust removal at the start-up turned on but that scratching noise is not it.
please read:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123361-k5-sensor-cleaning-bug.html#post1275295
falconeye explains it very precisely
Thanks for posting the correct info. My suspicions were close but falconeye nails it.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-30-2012 at 10:11 PM.
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
What lens are you using? I just wrote this reply to someone else that had a similar issue. I could be wrong though.

It might be your aperture control mechanism/lens aperture control lever. My suspicion is that it is the lens aperture control lever. I believe that the camera aperture control mechanism pushes against the lens aperture control lever on start up to open the lens aperture up to its widest. If you have older lenses, their aperture control levers might be a little crunchy. Simple test - take the lens off and turn your camera on. No crunch and you know it is the lens. Hope that helps.
I have a DA 18-135 WR lens. I just tried turning ON the camera without the lens and I could still hear it.
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamarunr Quote
I have a DA 18-135 WR lens. I just tried turning ON the camera without the lens and I could still hear it.
From falconeye's post with my edits in parentheses:

"The noise at the beginning doesn't close down the lens. So, it's not from moving the aperture lever (in the lens) by any significant distance. The noise from moving the aperture lever (in the lens) for stopping down is similiar but not as loud. But if you look very careful upon start-up with no lens, you'll see that the scratch noise is from the lever (in the camera) vibrating by ~1/4 mm for as long as the noise lasts. So, (the lever in the camera) may try to probe for some start position or to calibrate some motor parameter."

Even though at start up my K-5 doesn't really make a scratching noise that I can hear, it is considered normal if it does. No worries.