Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 arriving tomorrow what to do first?

My K5 arrives tomorrow and I want to go out and shoot some pictures. After I satisfy myself, are there any steps I have to take regarding the camera or lens? Any checking of the camera? Updates - do I do only the last one, or all of them? Do I have to format the new SDHC cards? Are any settings on the camera considered generally better than others? Thanks for your help, Danny

06-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you take a look at the "walkthrough" page of our k-5 review, there are several recommended settings.

Apart from that, I'd be sure to upgrade your camera to the latest firmware and also check your lens for front focus / back focus, and make adjustments as needed (there's once again a guide on our homepage, simply search for front focus and it'll come up).

You don't have to format your cards, but it never hurts to do so if they're blank. Do it in-camera rather than on your computer.
06-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charge the battery before you can do anything and whilst it's charging read the manual.

Not the answer you wanted?
06-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Give me SOME credit please...

06-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gratz with your purchase.

The previous 3 K-5's I tried all suffered from back focus issues under normal/bright light conditions. I'd go out and see how it manages focus accuracy when aiming a bright subjects using long focals and wide apertures (kit lenses *may* not be sufficient to show if there is any problem though)

Update to latest firmware - single update is enough.

Always format SD cards prior to a new shoot.

Settings are a personal thing. Can't help you out there, except that I highly recommend you shoot raw.
06-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zdeneczech Quote
Give me SOME credit please...
Read the manual twice

Have fun with the new baby and take some time to learn eachother. It's like dating a new girl.
06-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, you probably should do a “walk around” before even charging the camera and start shooting…as tempting as it is. As standard practice, whenever I receive deliveries of anything I order (both at home and at work), I usually inspect the package before even opening it; Is the info on packaging slip accurate, as in, is it what you ordered (i.e. body only, or body plus lens and other accessories), and is the package complete? Is there any shipping damage to your items?

If everything looks good and you have everything out, read the manual as most have suggested! If you’re up to a point where the camera is charged and ready for use, I would suggest checking as many functions as your knowledge can; are the camera’s basic functions behaving as it should per the instruction manual? Update your firmware as mentioned (Although be very careful with this procedure as it can render your camera useless if done incorrectly!) These may all be trivial but it would be better to know “now” if there is something potentially wrong with your equipment while under warranty.

Reformat SDHC Card - Technically, most brand new SDHC cards do not need reformatting however; it is highly recommended to format your new memory card in-camera and let it recreate its own file system/folders/directories “to its liking”.

As for “generally better than others” settings, IMO there isn’t any; since different shooting conditions requires different setup. Shoot RAW or JPEG+RAW. I suppose “Auto-Mode” would be a safe bet but that would defeat the purpose of using such a capable cameras as the K-5.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by K57XR; 06-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Buy a bottle of whisky - 12 yrs min.
Set K5 battery on charge.
Read the manual.... You need to read it - till the bottle is not empty.
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

I got mine on Monday and I am enjoying it. Good pointers here tough. Need to figure out about the Back Focus.

I have a question. When I turn ON my K-5, it makes a sound. Like a screeching sounds, for a second. Is that normal?
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Gratz with your purchase.

The previous 3 K-5's I tried all suffered from back focus issues under normal/bright light conditions. I'd go out and see how it manages focus accuracy when aiming a bright subjects using long focals and wide apertures (kit lenses *may* not be sufficient to show if there is any problem though)

Update to latest firmware - single update is enough.

Always format SD cards prior to a new shoot.

Settings are a personal thing. Can't help you out there, except that I highly recommend you shoot raw.
This is the first time I head about K5 back focusing in bright light. But I personally experience this in the past weeks with K5 under bright sun light. I had my FA*85 attached to both K200D and K5, the miss-focus shots I got from K5 more than the K200D. I guess this might be the reason. I am going to check again to confirm.
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Banned

Charge battery, go to the Pentax site, download the latest firmware and learn how to install it (very easy). Put it in program, shoot a couple shots, then read the manual and enjoy.
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before checking manual focus accuracy, remember to set the diopter for your shooting eye via the slider above the eyepiece.

Jack
06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
This is the first time I head about K5 back focusing in bright light. But I personally experience this in the past weeks with K5 under bright sun light. I had my FA*85 attached to both K200D and K5, the miss-focus shots I got from K5 more than the K200D. I guess this might be the reason. I am going to check again to confirm.
I wrote a bit about it here - you are welcome to add your finding to that thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/155503-k5-focusing-problem.html#post1998915

I wasn't able to Google much about the matter. But the tests I've done, although non-scientific, leave me convinced that my k-5 and the other 2 I tried, had issues.
06-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

First thing to do is put it under the faucet and make sure it is indeed weather sealed.

Just kidding.
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamarunr Quote
When I turn ON my K-5, it makes a sound. Like a screeching sounds, for a second. Is that normal?
What lens are you using? I just wrote this reply to someone else that had a similar issue. I could be wrong though.

It might be your aperture control mechanism/lens aperture control lever. My suspicion is that it is the lens aperture control lever. I believe that the camera aperture control mechanism pushes against the lens aperture control lever on start up to open the lens aperture up to its widest. If you have older lenses, their aperture control levers might be a little crunchy. Simple test - take the lens off and turn your camera on. No crunch and you know it is the lens. Hope that helps.