Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anybody had this happen? (Runaway shutter in auto bracketing mode)

Hi Folks,

I searched around and found lots of "mirror flop" threads, but my issue seems to be a bit different. I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen with their K-5.

I was out shooting last night, and I had my drive mode set to auto bracketing with the 2 second timer (5 shots). I was using ISO 100 and f/11 with a tripod for some longer exposures since the light was fading away. My K-5 would sometimes take more than 5 shots... sometimes 8, sometimes 10, sometimes 15, 16, etc. Twice I shut off my camera after 25-30 shots to make it stop. The camera was still changing exposure settings, but only by one increment of shutter speed. Other times it would shoot the 5 shots as I wanted. This happened in both manual and aperture-priority modes. I took out the battery and changed it, but it still happened afterwards.

I think I have described all the details. I apologize if my message is difficult to read.

Thanks for your help,
Ox

06-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have had this happened to me a couple times. I noticed that if I removed the lens and clean the contacts in lens mount and lens itself and then re-atach the lens it stopped doing it. I have not had a chance to repeat this scenario but worked for me once. I would be curious to know if others have had the same issue and what they did to resolve.
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Now that you mention it, one time when I turned the camera back on, it was asking for a lens focal length (as if I had an old manual lens on). I will clean up the contacts on the lens and body.
11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Oxtron, any update on this? Had this happen a few times as well, initially suspected dirty contacts, as the camera would sometimes ask for a focal length to be entered as described above, but it started to happen more often. Also started to get focus lock up probs. Sent it back and they replaced the main PCB. That was in August. Bracketing fault returned this evening, was using a cable release at the time, removed the cable release and tried it with the 2 second timer the fault continued, not sure where to go from here, I use autobracketing a lot.