Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lost my K5 =(

Wow what a bummer i had yesterday. The most unexpected and unwanted thing happened to me. I LOST MY K5.

I was out with friends, had plenty many beers and my mind was occupied with alot of nonsense all the time. Then suddenly the red lights start flickering and the alarm took off.
I didnt have my camera with me anymore!!!!

Drunk as i was i couldnt recall what excactly happened nor where i really left/lost it. Wow what a bad feeling in my stomach i have now. I feel so stupid and guilty.

I feel like i'm the only one in the world that ever lost he's k5 or dslr. Bad bad experience.

Now i'll have to buy a new one!

06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear. Hope you had fun hanging out with your friends

If you recorded the serial number you can post it and folks can keep an eye out for it.
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Did you ask your friends and see if they had kept it for you?

Last edited by ducdao; 06-28-2012 at 10:15 AM.
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I've left a lens behind once at the pub (not that long back actually) but the owner knew it was mine and put it aside for me.

Not lost a camera (yet) though there have been a couple of nights hanging out with musicians I was in danger of it)

Hope it turns up. I would contact all the clubs/pubs and see if someone turned it in (If you were getting served at a table or left it sitting on the bar there is a good chance it's been tucked away - though one of the bar staff may have kept it. If not post a reward on Craigslist (or whatever the Spanish equivalents are) and hope for the best

Don't know how well it works but if someone uses it and uploads a shot with exif this may help
Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera
or this one which costs $10 but will track for you and notify of uploads
CameraTrace: Learn More

06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Agreed the serial number thing most definately helps out. But, according to this "admission"

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnLegrand Quote
I LOST MY K5
There's not much that can be done about it.

In most all states there's a finders/keepers law. So if a person finds an article that is lost, under most circumstances they will be able to keep it - or also have the option of "publishing" that they found it.

In addition to the serial number item though... On should also try to have their contact information actually stored on their memory card in case it does get lost; then someone trusting enough finds it. One can usually do it in - setting the exif information; or also something as simple as taking a pic of ones personal data; and then locking it into the memory card.

If worse comes to worse... Most all digital cameras made for at least the last ten years or so will be recognized when "hooked up" by usb. And not just by the device, but also even the cameras serial number, etc - something that can never be changed electronically. There are also find my (lost of stolen) camera software items out there.

But since it may indeed be lost; one can do nothing but hope. Also technically noting... Depending one ones insurance, and also ones memory (or lack thereof) during the event... Ones insurance might just cover it. I've seen items such as one leaving a complete camera outfit on the front seat of a convertible with the top down - unfortunately covered. Also that ones renters or homeowners might cover it - just depends

Also use caution IF using stolen camera finder; because it is in fact NOT stolen. To actually accuse someone who happens to have found you camera of stealing it - then one would lose the shirt off their back in addition to the camera
06-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Agreed the serial number thing most definately helps out. But, according to this "admission"

There's not much that can be done about it.

In most all states there's a finders/keepers law. So if a person finds an article that is lost, under most circumstances they will be able to keep it - or also have the option of "publishing" that they found it.

In addition to the serial number item though... On should also try to have their contact information actually stored on their memory card in case it does get lost; then someone trusting enough finds it. One can usually do it in - setting the exif information; or also something as simple as taking a pic of ones personal data; and then locking it into the memory card.

If worse comes to worse... Most all digital cameras made for at least the last ten years or so will be recognized when "hooked up" by usb. And not just by the device, but also even the cameras serial number, etc - something that can never be changed electronically. There are also find my (lost of stolen) camera software items out there.

But since it may indeed be lost; one can do nothing but hope. Also technically noting... Depending one ones insurance, and also ones memory (or lack thereof) during the event... Ones insurance might just cover it. I've seen items such as one leaving a complete camera outfit on the front seat of a convertible with the top down - unfortunately covered. Also that ones renters or homeowners might cover it - just depends

Also use caution IF using stolen camera finder; because it is in fact NOT stolen. To actually accuse someone who happens to have found you camera of stealing it - then one would lose the shirt off their back in addition to the camera

OP is in Spain not the US the laws are likely quite different, and You can likely use it to find the camera and then go from there with offering a reward for return for instance. they work with LE but you could specify the issue
06-28-2012, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

You can wait for the K-30 and try that since you are familiar with the K-5, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, then you can always return it (or sell it here) and get another K-5, knowing that you've tried both

I don't know how you are funding wise, but if you are strapped for cash, I have a K-7 (my current back-up) that I am no longer using that I was planning to sell when I got back home from my deployment, however I can send it to you for the time being until you replace your lost K-5. All I ask is that you cover the shipping cost when you return it to me at your own leisure

It might take 1-2 months to get there (or more? that's the average, but the current record for a package is just over 4 months to make it to me, and yes, the cookies were very stale...don't judge me for eating them anyway lol). The AF will be a bit sluggish, the resolution will be only 14 mpx, and the ISO quality will absolutely disappoint you if you are a low-light shooter (which I would assume since you took it on a bar crawl with you), however it would be better than nothing

Respectfully,
Heie
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow generous offer Heie. reaffirms faith in humanity when I see stuff like that

06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You can wait for the K-30 and try that since you are familiar with the K-5, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, then you can always return it (or sell it here) and get another K-5, knowing that you've tried both

I don't know how you are funding wise, but if you are strapped for cash, I have a K-7 (my current back-up) that I am no longer using that I was planning to sell when I got back home from my deployment, however I can send it to you for the time being until you replace your lost K-5. All I ask is that you cover the shipping cost when you return it to me at your own leisure

It might take 1-2 months to get there (or more? that's the average, but the current record for a package is just over 4 months to make it to me, and yes, the cookies were very stale...don't judge me for eating them anyway lol). The AF will be a bit sluggish, the resolution will be only 14 mpx, and the ISO quality will absolutely disappoint you if you are a low-light shooter (which I would assume since you took it on a bar crawl with you), however it would be better than nothing

Respectfully,
Heie
Dude, you just brought a tear to my eye. That is an awesome gesture.
06-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

If I leave my house, that K-5 is slung across my body with an R-Strap. I don't set her down, anywhere. My family doesn't even get to touch it. They can play with my *ist D.
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here in the states sometimes stuff will end up at the local police station. Maybe worth a shot. Also, if you have some sort of insurance, maybe you're covered.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery
This certainly was because of a focusing problem. Oh how we Pentax owners have to suffer from these!
06-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha It sure was

thanks all of you guys for the comments. I already feel much better and i just learned a very important lesson. It's not the first time i would leave something laying around. I just had to learn it the hard way. And i did...
I've been more carefull with EVERYTHING since then. I took several other positive notes:

First of all god decided to teach me my lesson BEFORE i had several 1000 euro lenses in my bag...
I made somebody happy with a great DSLR and spread the pentax brand like that
I'll have to buy another pentax now so more more money for pentax!
I can now start thinking about my new DSLR. ( maybe i"ll try the K30 or try to find a K5-silver edition or wait for a K5 succesor or...)

IRT Heie. thank you so much for the generous offer. I really thank you and appreciate that. But untill i'll get my new dslr in the following weeks/months i still have an old SONY A100 to undust and go out with.
thanks again.
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Expensive lesson for sure. Like your attitude though.

It can be much worse. 40 years ago I used to run a gas station. Nothing sadder than seeing some sorry looking guy come into the station after a night on the town and ask: "Did I leave my car here last night?" Happened more than once too. Different people every time.
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well that is a pitty. Don't drink too much next time