06-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I like the dog pic.

06-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shawn,
If you really like the focal length of the DA 21mm but aren't happy with the sharpness, may I suggest looking for a used FA 20mm f/2.8? It's definitely sharper than the 21mm and is 1/2 stop faster too. As an added bonus, if Pentax ever comes out with a FF body, this lens will work on it. If you want some examples, take a look at my "single in June" album, it's all FA 20mm. clicky here

NaCl(It's not all that easy to find but not impossible either, expensive tho @ about $550 to $600)H2O
06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, 5d mark II is a lot better in term of video function. if someone is into HDSLR, definately get 5d mark II over k-5
06-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Right now I am sold on trying a 43, 31 and 77. It really doesn't look like I can go wrong with any of them, and perhaps I should hit up lensrentals.com. I'm leaning more toward the FA43 right now, as it seems like it's versatile yet would give me a nice boost in reach over the DA21. I was initially put off by the review on lenstip but after looking at some shots, it seems like the corner softness near wide open works to this lens' advantage, bringing the attention to the center. From there, the FA 77 and I'll figure it out from there.....(if I sell my canon gear, that is!)

When I was shopping for FF, I initially bought the 5DII instead of the D700 due to the video. In actuality, I rarely use it, and it seems like the K5 would suit any of my video needs just fine.

I think I am warming up to the DA21. I dialed in a -4 AF adjustment last week and I think I'm enjoying the lens a little more now.

06-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have the 3 you mention, plus more, all three are fantastic.
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I sometimes find that the focal length difference between the 21 and the 43, while numerically being about double, isn't sometimes quite as much of as an increase as I would like... Just my two cents.
06-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Even how much i like my K5 but still i must admit that 5Dmk2 pics are very little better quality in generally. But If I compare K5 to any other cropsensor camera i have seen yet, then K5 pics Q is best pics in generally. Even still i am using K5 and not planning to get 5Dmk2 cos there is many reasons for me to use K5 than other camera. I do not take video at all.

06-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Thanks for the replies. Right now I am sold on trying a 43, 31 and 77. It really doesn't look like I can go wrong with any of them, and perhaps I should hit up lensrentals.com. I'm leaning more toward the FA43 right now, as it seems like it's versatile yet would give me a nice boost in reach over the DA21.
Hi Shawn - when looking at lenses in this range the FA's are reputedly excellent (not that I have any yet) - I have a DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited and it is a fantastic little lens for walk around whilst traveling. I have just got back from 3 weeks in Northern Europe with a K-5, DA21, DA35/2.8, DA*16-50 and DA55-300. In nearly 7000 shots used the 16-50, 42% of the time and the 35/2.8 36% of the time. I didn't use the 21 much (7%). I was taking a lot of architecture shots in cities, and the 35 wasn't wide enough, the zoom at 16 did the job. Taking a WR lens is a must - I had 5 damp days, 2 of which were really wet, and the WR lens made a huge difference to the shots i got. Most of the shots I am happiest with came off the 35.

Next time I travel I am thinking I might take the 15/4 limited, 35/2.8 limited and a WR zoom - either the 16-50 again or an 18-135, and the 55-300 for long range when needed. I have found that a 4 lens kit like this with the K-5 fits nicely into a Crumpler 5 bag, which is small enough to have no issues as a second carry on bag with airlines.

I trust you have lots of fun selecting your lenses and with your travel. I have found the K-5 with limited primes to be an excellent walk around travel combination

Regards,

Ross
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

About the DA-21, I quite like it and always carry it in my bag.

photozone.de says this about it:

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited is a very good lens but it is not as
special as its longer cousins (specifically the Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited)
nor is this really possible because of the increasing design problems when
pushing things towards wide and ultra-wide angles
. The center performance is
exceptionally high whereas the borders require f/5.6 to achieve very good
levels.
I use it for street type photos at f3.2 or a bit smaller - its fast autofocusing and terrific rendering. When i'm using it for a landscape or urbanscape, i use it at f5.6 to f11 where it continues to have exceptional center resolution, but also very good border and extreme resolution values. Photozone nailed its analysis of this lens. True, its not as wide as the DA15, but its faster and doesn't suffer some of the perspective distortion of the UWA DA15. The DA15 lens is a very good lens, it just doesn't fit my style as much as the 21.
07-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
If I sold the 5DII and its lenses, I would have the cash to get a nice set of Pentax glass and still have money left over to put into my travel budget.
Yes, the glass will last for a long time (no sdm) but not the camera. I am not sure how long 5d2 can hold its value and maybe it is a good time to get rid of it and save up for a Pentax FF.
24-105L is a ''slooow' lens indoor and a bad choice for portrait indoors(moving kids) unless there is adequate light....

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You only need two lenses to cover about everything you want to catch on a holiday. Something wide and something short-tele and the rest is just a foodstep away.
Ron is spot on. I can travel on foot for hours with my K5, FA31 and FA77Ltd.
My knees cannot handle a backpack full of glasses and 2 cameras if i plan to walk 3-4 hours in a day.
07-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I did exactly what you are thinking, dropped the 5DII/7D system and switched to 3 Pentax K-5's for my professional work. I have not been this happy since I gave up film!
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I did exactly what you are thinking, dropped the 5DII/7D system and switched to 3 Pentax K-5's for my professional work. I have not been this happy since I gave up film!
Thanks for the input. I was just checking out some of your work. Looks like you've shot with Canon, Nikon and Pentax systems?

Anyways, impressive and inspiring body of work! BTW, I have enjoyed the photouniverse youtube posts as well.
07-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Backwards too.
Not backwards, special left hand version... (I've always wondered how south paws manage. Photography is one area that makes absolutely no accommodation for lefties)