Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

K5 Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode

I've had my K5 for just over 2 weeks now and only recently started playing around with exposure compensation. I've noticed a problem that I've hunted for answers to online and am not sure if it's a setting that can be changed, or just something specific to either the K5 overall or my K5 model only.

When shooting in M mode with either a manual or DA lens, (i have a stash of vintage k-mount lenses that still work like a charm), any adjustment made with the exposure compensation button does nothing to the image. I can shoot one with the bar in the middle, another at -5 and another at +5, but all three settings result in the same final photo.

I've tried shooting in Av mode, and the exposure compensation works there. But when switching back to Manual and attempting to alter the exposure, nothing changes.

I had the k20d and never had this problem - i was able to use compensation in manual mode all the time and since this is the mode I shoot in mostly, with my manual lenses, its a bit frustrating to not be able to utilize this feature. In addition, when shooting in manual, all images look properly exposed on the LCD, but when on the computer are significantly darker.

Anyone else have this problem (if it even is a problem) or know of a way to work around it? Is there a setting I'm just not finding?

I am shooting in RAW without the highlight correction on (i read this may be causing underexposure in some cases), I've read the manual, searched online and in forums, and can't really find anything that addresses my issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

06-30-2012, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to press any additional buttons to get exposure compensation in manual mode. Simply look at the light meter, and adjust the shutter speed or aperture until you have the desired EV. You may have to press the shutter release button half way down in order to enable the light meter, depending on your settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Adam said. Exposure compensation is redundant in manual mode as you are in effect 'compensating' to get the exposure by changing either the speed or aperture.
06-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, when you are in M mode, the M means "Manual". So naturally EV compensation wouldn't work, because it's an "automatic" adjustment to your exposure.

06-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

My two cents...continue shooting in manual, using the light meter in the viewfinder and making adjustments with ISO, shutter speed, and f/stop. You will have more control and continue to learn more and more about the "nuts and bolts" of it all. Enjoy the K-5 it is quite the camera!
06-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can find the instructions on how to use EV compensation while in M mode on page 120 of the manual. Basically, after setting the EV comp value to what you want you then have to make the adjustments yourself.

First off, make sure to have the EV scale showing in the viewfinder. Then set the EV comp value to what you want. Finally, adjust your exposure with any combinations of the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO so that the EV scale in the viewfinder shows the bar right in the middle. That will give you the compensated exposure you are after.

So, when in M mode EV compensation just gives you the target to set your exposure to to get that the desired compensated exposure but doesn't do anything automatically for you beyond that. I hope that makes sense. If you experiment with it you will see what it's doing.
06-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Adding a little detail to what others have already recommended above... Rather than using EV comp in M mode you could just keep an eye on that EV scale in the viewfinder and dial in the exposure so that the EV bar is positioned in the spot that you'd want the EV comp to be at. That is, for an EV comp value of -1.5 you'd have three EV bars showing to the left of center on the EV scale. Keep in mind that you can set the EV steps to be in halves or thirds.

Last edited by TomTextura; 06-30-2012 at 07:15 PM.
06-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I'm not sure why I didn't realize that being in M mode meant i had full control... Call it a brain fart, if you will. In fact, I even went back to the store and showed them the 'issue', and they were equally perturbed by it. I was sure I'd altered the exposure compensation while in manual on my k20d, although I only owned that for a couple of weeks so maybe i'm remembering everything incorrectly today.

Anyhow, it's good to know it's not a problem with the camera. Thanks very much to TomTextura too, for the additional coaching on the EV scale - I'll be sure to test this all out tomorrow first thing! I'm hoping the difference in exposure of the images when viewed on the LCD screen vs. the computer (where they're consistently underexposed) is something that will be remedied as well.

However, not to bring up an entirely different issue, but the camera has started making a very loud noise when turned on, almost like an electronic scratching noise, or like a needle sliding across a vinyl record, which it didn't do the first 2 weeks or so... Does everyone else have this as well?

Thank you again for all your kind and quick responses! They were definitely reassuring, and made my heart rate slow a little bit. I was in panic mode for the better part of the day (quite unnecessarily, obviously! )
06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saff Quote
Thanks very much to TomTextura too, for the additional coaching on the EV scale
Happy to help!

I'm hoping the difference in exposure of the images when viewed on the LCD screen vs. the computer (where they're consistently underexposed) is something that will be remedied as well.
What software are you using?
However, not to bring up an entirely different issue, but the camera has started making a very loud noise when turned on, almost like an electronic scratching noise, or like a needle sliding across a vinyl record, which it didn't do the first 2 weeks or so... Does everyone else have this as well?
No noise like that with mine. When I first got my K-5 I was distressed to hear a thud type sound whenever I would turn the camera from side to side. I looked it up right away and was relieved to discover that it was simply the shake reduction mechanism shifting like it's meant to.
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I'm not sure why I didn't realize that being in M mode meant i had full control... Call it a brain fart, if you will. In fact, I even went back to the store and showed them the 'issue', and they were equally perturbed by it. I was sure I'd altered the exposure compensation while in manual on my k20d, although I only owned that for a couple of weeks so maybe i'm remembering everything incorrectly today.

Anyhow, it's good to know it's not a problem with the camera. Thanks very much to TomTextura too, for the additional coaching on the EV scale - I'll be sure to test this all out tomorrow first thing! I'm hoping the difference in exposure of the images when viewed on the LCD screen vs. the computer (where they're consistently underexposed) is something that will be remedied as well.

Thank you again for all your kind and quick responses! They were definitely reassuring, and made my heart rate slow a little bit. I was in panic mode for the better part of the day (quite unnecessarily, obviously! )
Hmm, did you switch on the dust removal feature? It quickly shakes the sensor upon start up, and is a bit noisy.
06-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think it is the dust shake. The dust shake on the K-5 is ultrasonic. Some have said that you can hear it if you hold your camera close to your ear, but I have yet to hear it. Of course I walk upright as well.

It might be your aperture control mechanism/lens aperture control lever. My suspicion is that it is the lens aperture control lever. I believe that the camera aperture control mechanism pushes against the lens aperture control lever on start up to open the lens aperture up to its widest. If you have older lenses, their aperture control levers might be a little crunchy. Simple test - take the lens off and turn your camera on. No crunch and you know it is the lens. Hope that helps.
06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have similar question.
How to use M42 type lenses with flash? The shutter speed always shows 1/180.
06-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well my K5 and K7 always make a similar noise on startup, K7 a bit louder, with or without a lens.
I always had ( incl my KX- that one is much louder , older non ultrasonic system) dust removal at the start-up turned on but that scratching noise is not it.
please read:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123361-k5-sensor-cleaning-bug.html#post1275295
falconeye explains it very precisely
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
well my K5 and K7 always make a similar noise on startup, K7 a bit louder, with or without a lens.
I always had ( incl my KX- that one is much louder , older non ultrasonic system) dust removal at the start-up turned on but that scratching noise is not it.
please read:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123361-k5-sensor-cleaning-bug.html#post1275295
falconeye explains it very precisely
Thanks for posting the correct info. My suspicions were close but falconeye nails it.
07-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my K5 for just over 2 weeks now and only recently started playing around with exposure compensation. I've noticed a problem that I've hunted for answers to online and am not sure if it's a setting that can be changed, or just something specific to either the K5 overall or my K5 model only.

When shooting in M mode with either a manual or DA lens, (i have a stash of vintage k-mount lenses that still work like a charm),........
with the old manual lenses ( M,K and third parties K mount) use in M mode with stop down meterring ( green button etc):
Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Pentax Support

with earlier lenses with M42 ( screw) mounts, use in AV mode.
there is a lot of posts about it on this forum, just search....