Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New happy owner of K5

Hi again you guys are really helpful, thanks for that. Just got my K5 with 16-45, 35 f2.4 and 55-300 lenses. When I looked into latest firmware it shows ver. 1.13 which is the latest right? Before I get stuck in the manual (I will not be seen for many month then), I am trying to get some photos, just experimenting, having fun, checking lenses etc. Somehow though I feel that bigger problem will be processing the raw or dng files. I have Photoshop CS3 with adobe bridge CS3, RawTherapee WinXP_32_4.0.9.50 and latest Pentax digital camera utility. Can you please answer few questions? So I will select one of the programs, probably Photoshop, because I am familiar with it and import pictures. I guess they will be displayed then ( seen as pictures) so that I can work on them. And then what? When I finish my work on a picture, I would like to keep the end result in my album, so I will save in jpeg put it in album? Can I save the corrected picture in raw as well? I also noticed people discussing front and back focusing issues. What is the simplest test for those? And the adjustment is on the camera or the lens? All this will allow me to read and play at the same time, like a little boy with a new toy I am, so enjoyable. There it is, thanks for your help, Danny

07-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First of all welcome and congratulations!
Your firmware is correct.
About the RAW processing: CS will open RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw. Considering you have an "old" version of CS you might need to update ACR to support K-5. I think it's free but I'm not sure, I don't use this software.
You can never modify directly a RAW file. As per their name, they are just raw data. To save your processed picture you have to use another format. Most of the time JPG is a good compromise, you can adjust size and quality and it will be viewable on all devices. A lot of peoole keep both the RAW and the JPG files on their computer, to be able to re-edit and change some settings without losing quality.
About the front and back focusing: my advice is that if you think your pictures are generally blurred, then you should test for it. If your real-life pics are OK, then enjoy!
07-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found photoshop a bit to complicated when working with a lot of photos. Lightroom is a really good option for processing batches of RAW files I have also been using Corel AFterShot and I find that it really makes me photos look a lot better. Sometimes Adobe products ACR, Lightroom, Element, etc will not give you the image you saw in the camera. Try to convert it first using the Pentax software, Silky PIx or even RAW therapee. Since a image file is nothing more than information and coding you will find that different RAW converters will give you a different look so just play around with some and see which you like the best. I have had the best luck with color, detail, and sharpness using Silky Pix, Pentax LAB and after shot. I usually convert to TIFF then import to lightroom to adjust and add effects.
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was absolutely amazed with the faststone ( I am with Mac so not really useful for me but still):
FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
it is free, and about perfect (!) , I wish there would be something like that for mac ( please do it!)

07-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photo Shop is an excellent program, though some think it's over kill. However if you use its Bridge program, it is easy to use even with large numbers of photos. I used it after taking 1400+ photos in the UK. But asking which program is best is like asking which camera is best and will get you many different answers. If you are familiar with PS, stick with it for now. Although I haven't upgraded to CS6, I currently have CS5 and love it. If the CS6 upgrade wasn't $200, I'd be using it, but so far, I haven't seen any features that would make it worth it to me (I was really hoping they would have an upgrade for us poor fixed income retirees on par with the one they offer students.). CS5 on the other hand made fixing mistakes (like removing stuff) so easy, and they updated there auto fix properties to be much more realistic that I recommend it to anyone.