Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
One thing I have noticed today is that the problem is absolutely very much worse with some lenses than others. With my DA*16-50 the results are the worst (especially at the wide end with open aperture), DA*50-135 can also be provoked if pushed hard. I simply can't provoke a problem with my FA 100 Macro, and I have to work hard (e.g. unusual scenes with smaller areas of white pointing directly at the area where the bounce hits) to get a bad result from my A50 f1.2, even at f1.2. I could see with the f1.2 that the bounce is firing with a far lower power than ever will be reached with my 16-50, even at the same 50mm/f2.8. ..
See my previous post.
I think that lens with a long focus ring stroke give more accurate distance estimation (eg. my 55-300 works fine, Tamron overexposes).
"A" lens do not communicate distance. So A lens should work as in case of bounced flash.

This is my idea. May be Pentax introduced a correction depending on distance starting from k-5...

08-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #47

Found this thread after I used my k-5 with my af540 for the first time (I usually use the k20D for most of my photography, including flash, and the k-5 as my knock-about with the DA40 permanently attached).

As a side note I absolutely detest the egonomics of the k-5 and wish that the k20D was updated with the Sony sensor and Af module. The k-5's four-way button functions are rubbish and is a backward step from the k20D's. The k-5 live view button gets in the way and the Af select dial is a disaster. For paying jobs I use the k20D. Probably the only reason I use the k-5 is that it's smaller.

Oookay gripe out of the way. Yup, it seems that the metering of the k-5 with the 540 mounted and tilted doesn't work properly, regardless of metering mode. Which is a shame because I assumed it would work just like my trusty k-20D, which exposed perfectly all the time when using bounce flash. Ended up dialling -1.5 EV FEC to get a satisfactory result but blew it when switching the flash and camera back on to take rushed shots, as the flash reverts back to 0 FEC.

Not happy. Hopefully Pentax fixes this issue with the next body, making it number 5 on my wish list:

1. Move the Lv button away from the four-way controller. Having it as part of the preview dial around the shutter would be better.
2. Make a larger, easier to use Af mode dial - the dial on the k20D is heaven in comparison.
3. Make a latched SD card door. The slider door is a joke and is prone to open when handling the camera.
4. Have a dedicated exposure bracketing button.
5. Sort out the bounce flash and camera metering issue.

Heck, just make me a k20D update with a full frame sensor and new Af module and be done with it. And yes, 16 zones for metering is good enough for me.

Last edited by Mohawk; 08-16-2012 at 06:11 AM.
08-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #48

Right, decided to use the k-5 with the 540 in an evening gala on the weekend (unpaid work, so a chance to sort it out in a 'realistic' setting).

This is what happended:
- First 5 shots FEC = 0, blown out images.
- Got frustrated, gave the flash a smack with my palm, heard a 'click' from the hot shoe.
- Next 5 shots, dialled FEC to -1.5, all images underexposed.
- Confused, dialled FEC to 0, all images for the rest of the night properly exposed.

Obviously, administering corporal punishment on the flash worked. But how? Previously I assumed the flash was properly seated with the usual push from the flash hot shoe and rear plate. Did my smack align the contacts properly or do something else? This warrants further investigation.

Last edited by Mohawk; 08-19-2012 at 05:34 PM.
08-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
administering coporal punishment on the flash worked.
I like those sort of solutions. If in doubt, give something a solid whack.

This used to work wonders with an old black-and-white TV our family had when I was a kid, when a good whack on the side of the cabinet would stabilise a flickering image or fix up the sound. It's heartening to see that this technique still works in the digital age.

08-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #50

I don't know if this has been mentioned already or not, but I've noticed that most of my overexposure flash shots are related to my shutter speed. It is always on or around 1/50 no matter what settings I have. I never see it at 1/180. I have to compensate my flash by reducing the power by 1 stop and even then it's hit and miss.

Wish Pentax would fix this.
08-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought

I have very little issue with my flashes (540,360 and Metz45 digital) Bounced , HSS or direct my mode of use

1 manual ISO 100-400
2 when fitting hot shoe waggle flash body before locking down to ensure seating and remove any oxide on contacts.

Attachment 138232

I find few things can easily cause overexposure
1 auto iso
2 inappropriate spot metering
3 Tamron Lens (18-250)
4 teleconverters

Last edited by awaldram; 05-22-2014 at 04:20 AM.