Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Slow motion AF due to water leak !

I got caught in a down pour with my K5 and a DA* lens, but I did not stop shooting, I've high hope on this camera, and it worked fine for the first half hour. And then I saw condense at the top LCD, I got the same problem with my K20D, and then 10min. later the shutter release became not responsive, the red AF light did not light up in the finder, I thought water got in the shutter release and the electronics got short circuited. But later I find that the AF did work, but at a super slow motion peace, took 5 or more seconds to lock on an easy object ! I then bypass AF priority (in the setting) and the release worked normally, I then switch to MF mode (on the body) and the release also worked. After the camera become dry everything work again, so the weakest link on this camera is the AF mode switch !

07-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm wondering if the lens seals didn't get wet and make too much friction for the lens motor to focus easily - So no water in the camera/lens, but the seals doing their jobs but causing everything to slow during focus?
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The DA* 16-50 is internal focus, I think the AF mechanism is deep inside and far beyond water can touch, if the seal breaks, and I didn't hear noise during AF, so I think the slow focusing is due to a short at the mode switch.
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be the water that's inside the lens that is slowing down the AF mechanism, meaning that although the water isn't touching the AF mech itself, it's touching the sides of the barrel causing more friction.

07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know, I just think that, the AF motor should be powerful enough to drive bigger lens, so it should handle this lens no problem, even if there is leak, and after I toggle the mode switch few times the AF come back again for awhile, that's what I forgot to mention.
07-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
The DA* 16-50 is internal focus
Ah yeah, that's right. Oops. WHen most of one's advice is on hunches and guesses, misinformation is a frequent liability. I bow out.
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well there's definitely a water leak and that's definitely what's slowing down the lens somehow. I would get it checked in by CRIS even if it's a hefty price.

07-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I managed to get some water onto/into my DA 18-135. The amount of water that came out was different as I zoomed the lens in and out. So to me, that means there are obvious "zones" of water retention seals that are part of the lens. If the camera has to move against the water - and probably some trapped air too - then I would imagine the focusing would be slow.

Even if the lens you are using is internal focusing, there are volume changes that could suck in water. Small gaps or small spaces can also allow water inside.

If you suspect water is in the body, take a body cap, and a silica pack - a small one - and place the silica pack on the body cap, and place the camera FACE DOWN for a day or so, so that the silica pack draws out the moisture. Be sure to place the camera FACE DOWN and not allow the silica pack to touch the mirror!

It's why even though they say 'Water sealed', I never believe it.
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Frankly, the condense in the LCD already a bad sign, I don't know how other sealed cameras react in the same situation, may be I am asking too much. !
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Next time I will bring 2 lens, so that I can tell what to blame !
07-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

do not forget about condensation, even my Seiko kinetic ( never opened in it's 14 years life) will fog out in extreme weather conditions or with rapid humidity / temperature changes. The only apparatus with vacuum inside could be 100% weather resistant in all conditions.