Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Processing in Adobe bridge, and other questions

Hi everyone, as I am trying different things with processing RAW files, I found that in Adobe bridge (with CS3) I can not go back on any adjustment like in Photoshop when I am working with the picture and I cannot rename that picture. I can improve it and save it there or send it to Photoshop to work on it, but I can not save it in raw again (I now recall that it might be possible to save it in Photoshop RAW), since I am working wth 16 bit, to save as jpeg I have to drop it to 8 bit. In 16 bit I can save the picture in TIFF format, can this be viewed in any picture viewer(unlike RAW pictures)? Regarding K5, we can see histogram after we take a picture, can we see it while we are taking the picture? I can not see that option in the manual,( my Sony H5 has it). What is the highest usable ISO? And finally, when you are traveling and taking pictures, how do you know where is the picture from, unless it Eiffel tower or similar? In the days of film ( not so many pictures taken as now), I used to put details on piece of paper that I promptly lost somewhere. Thanks, regards Danny

07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
bxf
Veteran Member

Assuming that by "Photoshop RAW" you mean DNG, then IrfanView, Faststone Viewer, ModernView, FastPictureViewer (paid version), and Windows Photo Viewer are all able to process these. As to 16-bit TIFF, all of the above viewers can handle them, but they are not always displayed correctly (or not at all) if layers and/or Alpha Channels are present. Irfanview seems to be the only one from the above that can display them properly, but I can't say definitely that it would be able to cope with all types of layers/channels combinations.

Also, I don't know about CS3, but in CS5 Camera Raw, you can save the file as a DNG.
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
as long as you only make changes in camera raw you can save file (the actual file is unchanged) and rename it, copy it, etc. (all in bridge). Actually you should keep a copy as raw, so you can later reinterpret it with camera raw again.
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Undo, Redo, Step Backward and Step Forward commands are available in Adobe Bridge (Camera Raw) through the same shortcuts as in Photoshop: Ctrl + Z for Undo, Redo is second Ctrl + Z, Step Backward Alt + Ctrl + Z and Step Forward Shift + Ctrl + Z. Any changes you make within Camera Raw are nondestructive, i.e., the changes are saved as values in a separate file and can always be undone within Camera Raw by returning the sliders to the default settings. To save a copy of your work and the associated RAW file, right click on the photo within Bridge and use the "copy to" command. To save in a different format click on "Save Image" within Camera Raw (bottom left of the Camera Raw window).

To see the histogram while you're composing on the K-5 you'll have to use live view.

Highest usable ISO depends on definition of "usable". ISO can be extended to 51200 using the custom menu, whereas the default is 80-12800. I try to stay under 1000.

You can purchase a GPS module for the K-5 if you really need to know the location of every shot. I save my raw files in date folders and add key info to the file name of "keepers" after I edit them.

Russ