Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Mirror lock came out blurrer than non lock?

I did a test to see if there are any difference between 2 with K5+40mm2.8: I was very careful: test done on heavy tripod. mirror lock was done by live view+2 seconds delayed shutter release. So there is absolute no tough of the camera. Result came out that the IQ of non mirror lock with hand press the shutter is sharper than mirror lock. I repeated the test 3 times. The results came out same. Anyone knows why?

07-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try turning of SR and doing the test again?
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
kfz

Original Poster
What is SR?
07-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

lol sorry, shake reduction. Option is in the menu.

07-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
kfz

Original Poster
I think the shake reduction is automatic turn off when switching to delayed shutter release mode.
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Louicio, 2 second delay will switch SR off
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahh, did not know. Well at least we eliminated SR as the fault then

07-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Mirror lock seems strange on the K-5. For example, why can't you enable it when doing brackets? If there was a ever a time to use it that would be it. Is it because of metering between shots? That seems odd in AV mode.

I've also had shots come out somewhat blurred during mirror lock. I just abandoned using it.
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #9

Live View focusing is NOT as reliable as through the viewfinder!

Suggest you retry using the optical viewfinder.
07-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually contrast detection on live view is more accurate through live view than phase detection through optical viewfinder/live view. Check your settings to enable contrast detection on live view. Enable AF button on rear of camera. Disable AF on half press during live view. SR is auto off from delay. Ensure all connections are tight from tripod legs to head and from tripod to camera body. Ensure tripod is not on surface that has vibrations. Also dont leave your hand on the camera while releasing the shutter.
If in doubt, post some pictures with Exif intact so we many find some other things to try.
07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Weird result.
With live view you will be using mirror lock up even without the 2sec delay. So was live view off when you shoot the "no mirror up" shoots?
07-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Mirror lock seems strange on the K-5. For example, why can't you enable it when doing brackets? If there was a ever a time to use it that would be it. Is it because of metering between shots? That seems odd in AV mode.
You can always use live view as a work around, the mirror will stay up during the bracketing.
07-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Manual focus on live view is most accurate of anything if you can see what you're doing since it is the actual sensor image. But CD focus on live-view with a slow lens or poor light on my K-5 is terrible -- it will lock but it is badly off, while regular PDAF through the viewfinder is spot-on. On a faster lens or in good light it is fine, but for instance on the 18-250 zoom when it is zoomed in (giving a max aperture of 5.6-6.3) it sucks except in bright light. But you bottom line is you can't trust it because it will falsely lock.

Anyway, as far as the test goes, you can still get plenty of vibration even on a tripod depending on the set-up and lens used or if there is wind, etc. I suggest you optically zoom in the live view to x6 or so and will see every vibration -- often they last longer from you releasing the camera rather than actually leaving your hand on it which stabilizes it if you are not moving. The point is that 2 seconds isn't always long enough and if there is wind the vibrations may never stop. A remote control is useful for this because you can wait until everything is absolutely still and then fire. But I often find myself waiting for 5 seconds or so at least before all is still. (Depends on the tripod and how it is it extended -- it will be most stable if the camera is sitting right at the apex of the legs -- any extension of the neck will make it worse.)
07-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #14

I would manual disable SR and repeat. Perhaps it isn't disabling automatically in mirror lock up mode. I disable it manually on my K10D as the manual isn't quite clear if mirror lock up mode does it for me or not.

Try a remote release too and repeat with SR set on and off on the switch/menu.
07-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would manual disable SR and repeat. Perhaps it isn't disabling automatically in mirror lock up mode. I disable it manually on my K10D as the manual isn't quite clear if mirror lock up mode does it for me or not.

Try a remote release too and repeat with SR set on and off on the switch/menu.
It is definitely disabled in mirror lock up mode.