Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
An alternative to a strap is the Spider Holster Black Widow:

Black Widow Holster Kit : The Black Widow : Spider Holster

I find it very convenient and just use it with whatever belt I'm wearing.
That looks perfect for what I need! I am ordering one of those ASAP, actually I am ordering the whole kit-holster,belt,pad and pin, maybe an extra pin for the K-x
This system will go nicely on a belt tucked under my shirt so that it really wont stand out like I am a "tourist" or for an invitation to steal my camera.

07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Where did you get the batteries?please provide a link
The prices have changed a bit but these are the batteries and they're about $5.50 each.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FHZ3OS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

The charger I got is this one, which is now sold separately:
Amazon.com: Premium Tech PT-44 Battery Charger for Pentax D-LI90: Camera & Photo

Don't mind the review # for the charger, some idiot gave it a 1 star because its not the right charger for his batteries- not because it doesn't work, broken, etc.
07-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The prices have changed a bit but these are the batteries and they're about $5.50 each.
Amazon.com: NEEWER

The charger I got is this one, which is now sold separately:
Amazon.com: Premium Tech PT-44 Battery Charger for Pentax D-LI90: Camera & Photo

Don't mind the review # for the charger, some idiot gave it a 1 star because its not the right charger for his batteries- not because it doesn't work, broken, etc.
Thanks a million
07-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks a million
No problem, Do Dawgs.

07-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use this exact combo (k5, grip, 18-135) and i find it is excellent for travel. I was at the beach yesterday and today witj no concerns about sand or spray. I have also had it out in a long rainstorm without issue.

I roll with a second pentax battery in the grip and rarely have to recharge.

I use a large kata strap for this set up, the reflex e. I keep a spare card in one pocket and the waterproof remote in the other.

If you get to the point where you want an L plate for the k5 plus grip check out mestos on ebag.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
07-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote

If you get to the point where you want an L plate for the k5 plus grip check out mestos on ebag.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
what is an L plate?
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what is an L plate?
Camera L-Plate Review

07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

what is an L plate?
There was me thinking they were these!

07-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ya I have read about the SDM going out on this lens, but I see I have the screw drive still if that happens for back up.
Please note that SDM below refers to both SDM and DC.

Be aware that some lenses are SDM only (e.g. DA17-70, your DA18-135 as far as I know) and don't have screw drive; they will become manual focus lenses on (older) cameras that don't support SDM (e.g. K100D).

Also, you can't fall back on screw drive in case SDM (in the lens) fails, even if the lens supports SDM and screw drive. As long as the camera that supports SDM detects a lens with a motor in it, it will insist on using SDM and not screw drive. People here on the forums have been 'requesting' for the option to enable screw drive for a very long time.
07-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Please note that SDM below refers to both SDM and DC.

Be aware that some lenses are SDM only (e.g. DA17-70, your DA18-135 as far as I know) and don't have screw drive; they will become manual focus lenses on (older) cameras that don't support SDM (e.g. K100D).

Also, you can't fall back on screw drive in case SDM (in the lens) fails, even if the lens supports SDM and screw drive. As long as the camera that supports SDM detects a lens with a motor in it, it will insist on using SDM and not screw drive. People here on the forums have been 'requesting' for the option to enable screw drive for a very long time.
Aaaaahhhh! Now I see.......that clears it up for me