Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thinking of Buying a Setup For Vacation For My K-5

Hey folks, I know this topic has been probably been brought up before, but I am looking to set up my K-5 for a good all around "walkaround" setup that has WR capabilities.
I have been doing the research and am looking towards an 18-135 lens and maybe even adding the grip as well. I will be going to Florida for two weeks in two weeks from now. I well be going to several water parks and to Disney world with the family. I want to set up my K-5 so that I have just one lens that I will never need to change, and am thinking of the battery grip as well but that might depend on how much more weight the grip will add, I want it mainly for balancing the camera out with the lens.
Reading the lens reviews really gives me a head ache, it seems nobody really can say wether a lens is good or not, some will give this particular lens a 10, and others (that probably had something go wrong with the lens) will give it a 5 or less, thus drastically bringing down the over all rating of the lens. Ya I have read about the SDM going out on this lens, but I see I have the screw drive still if that happens for back up. I am not a real big fan of focus speeds anyways so I really don't care how fast it focuses or how loud it may be.
I just want to set myself up with a good all around system that I don't have to worry about while I am out and about at these parks. My wife will be toting along our trusty K-X with her kit lens collection that she is rather satisfied with, so that being said, we are set for all focal lengths ranging from 18-200mm.
I am thinking of ordering tonight but would appreciate all and any thoughts regarding this set up.
Thank you in advance.

PS: I am also looking for a real nice strap to replace the original with, the Pentax name would be nice to have on it as well, but not a deal breaker.

07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18-135 is excellent for walk-around, no need to change lenses, all the needed focal length is right there, the WR version is water resistant making use of the body, this lens is sharper than the 18-55 and 50-200 combo. Looks like you've done your research well. Don't worry about SDM that much, I have heard less and less about SDM problems everyday, seems like Pentax might've secretly did something to the motor.
07-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery grip is also a good idea for long trips because you can run it on AA's in between charges. If you are spending any time out bush that's a real bonus.
If you want to take just one lens you have made an excellent choice without our help.
07-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The 18-135 has a different motor setup and is not SDM but is DC. We're season passholders, have been for years, and WR is a terrific plus in central FL. The 18-135, K5, and grip is a great combination IMHO.

07-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that settles it, I now have them ordered. I am most likely not getting any extra batteries for it even though I only have the one that came with my K-5, instead I am getting the energizer lithium 8X batteries, I know they are pricey but we have been using them in our K-x and they last forever, I will just keep the main battery recharged every night so that I don't run out of juice, and basically have an extra set of batteries at a moments notice.
I am really looking forward to this set up, the next lenses I buy will be mostly primes for my specialty work such as portrait work, macro work, and landscape work, I felt that I needed to just go out and enjoy this camera with the 18-135mm lens first and basically get the hang of this camera on a vacation.
Thanks everyone for the advice, I figured I made a good decision.
Does anybody in here know what the total set up will weigh?

Also- still needing info on a good strap
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Well that settles it, I now have them ordered. I am most likely not getting any extra batteries for it even though I only have the one that came with my K-5, instead I am getting the energizer lithium 8X batteries, I know they are pricey but we have been using them in our K-x and they last forever, I will just keep the main battery recharged every night so that I don't run out of juice, and basically have an extra set of batteries at a moments notice.
I am really looking forward to this set up, the next lenses I buy will be mostly primes for my specialty work such as portrait work, macro work, and landscape work, I felt that I needed to just go out and enjoy this camera with the 18-135mm lens first and basically get the hang of this camera on a vacation.
Thanks everyone for the advice, I figured I made a good decision.
Does anybody in here know what the total set up will weigh?

Also- still needing info on a good strap
Congratulations. Given what you said, I'd suggest that you make certain to set the menu items to select in body battery first over the grip battery. BTW, I have several third party batteries from Amazon that cost me around $8 for 2 that are working like champs.
07-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I want to set up my K-5 so that I have just one lens that I will never need to change.
You already received some interesting comments.

-EDIT- I realised that you ordered already, but leave the comments for others.

You have several options, and I would recommend to consider the followings:
- the DA18-135mm WR
- the DA18-250mm,
- the Sigma 18-250mm HS OSM.

The DA18-135mm WR is the obvious option. You can buy it new and it is rated WR.

The DA18-250mm/Tamron 18-250mm is another option. You can buy the lens only on the 2nd hand market (eg PF marketplace). But the lens has been regarded as one of the best all-around lenses across all brands for quite some times. It has a good focal length range and the lens is very sturdy. Whie not rated WR, many Pentaxains have regularly reported the sturdyness of the,lens in very harsch conditions incl. snow, ice, dust, mud,

The Sigma 18-250mm HS OSM is a newer lens and can be purchased new. It is wel regarded, but heavier.

There are some older Tamron 18-200mm and Sigma 18-200mm, but the IQ of these older lenses is sub-par compared to the above three lenses.

In any case, you must remember that a main weakness of all all-around lenses is the low light. In oor lighting conditions, these lenses will not performed well, except witht flash.

I travel typically with the DA18-250mm on my K-7, and I take a small ight prime lens for low light. In my case, a VL Nokton 58mm f1.4.

I hope that the comment may help.

07-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

18-135 is a perfect lens for this use.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the grip as the lens is light and does not need balancing.
I'd recommend just getting a couple of extra batteries and fast sd cards.
Also for a strap I find a cross body type more comfortable such as from optech USA.
http://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

Last edited by crewl1; 07-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.
07-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the 18-135 is a great lens to be with the K5 with or without the grip. I have the 18-135 permanently on my K5 since the day I bought the K5.
07-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

An alternative to a strap is the Spider Holster Black Widow:

Black Widow Holster Kit : The Black Widow : Spider Holster

I find it very convenient and just use it with whatever belt I'm wearing.
07-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. Given what you said, I'd suggest that you make certain to set the menu items to select in body battery first over the grip battery. BTW, I have several third party batteries from Amazon that cost me around $8 for 2 that are working like champs.
Thanks, I will most likely look into those batteries, I mainly wanted to tote around AAs mainly for backup for either cameras that we will have,

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received some interesting comments.

-EDIT- I realised that you ordered already, but leave the comments for others.

You have several options, and I would recommend to consider the followings:
- the DA18-135mm WR
- the DA18-250mm,
- the Sigma 18-250mm HS OSM.

The DA18-135mm WR is the obvious option. You can buy it new and it is rated WR.

The DA18-250mm/Tamron 18-250mm is another option. You can buy the lens only on the 2nd hand market (eg PF marketplace). But the lens has been regarded as one of the best all-around lenses across all brands for quite some times. It has a good focal length range and the lens is very sturdy. Whie not rated WR, many Pentaxains have regularly reported the sturdyness of the,lens in very harsch conditions incl. snow, ice, dust, mud,

The Sigma 18-250mm HS OSM is a newer lens and can be purchased new. It is wel regarded, but heavier.

There are some older Tamron 18-200mm and Sigma 18-200mm, but the IQ of these older lenses is sub-par compared to the above three lenses.

In any case, you must remember that a main weakness of all all-around lenses is the low light. In oor lighting conditions, these lenses will not performed well, except witht flash.

I travel typically with the DA18-250mm on my K-7, and I take a small ight prime lens for low light. In my case, a VL Nokton 58mm f1.4.

I hope that the comment may help.
Thanks for all that useful information, I have been using a tamron 28-200mm AF ASPHERICAL LD lens for the past two years, it is a lens that is designed for 35mm cameras, it has been great and I have had good luck with it and I work around it's shortcomings, I have this lens on my camera 80% of the time, however it is heavier than the new lens I am getting, has zoom creep(I find this very annoying because I have to lock it and unlock it all the time whenever I need to use it) and it is HUGE, however I use it a lot and have really enjoyed it. I have been buying lenses really cheap off Craigs list, flea markets, pawn shops, etc... and now that I am getting better at my hobby and am thinking it would be nice to start thinking of going more pro, I am starting to lean towards newer and better lenses, I want to knock out my "walkaround" zoom lens first. I will start to build up my primes and possibly pick up down the road a couple of faster DA zooms. I DO have my good'ol trusty 50mm M f1.4 lens that I will be bringing along as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
the 18-135 is a great lens to be with the K5 with or without the grip. I have the 18-135 permanently on my K5 since the day I bought the K5.
I too will leave this lens on the camera most of the time

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
An alternative to a strap is the Spider Holster Black Widow:

Black Widow Holster Kit : The Black Widow : Spider Holster

I find it very convenient and just use it with whatever belt I'm wearing.
Thanks I will definitely check it out
07-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
18-135 is a perfect lens for this use.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the grip as the lens is light and does not need balancing.
I'd recommend just getting a couple of extra batteries and fast sd cards.
Also for a strap I find a cross body type more comfortable such as from optech USA.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
I have large hands and am finding the need for the grip, back in my film days I had the battery grip/motordrive on my ME Super and it feels naked without it attached to the camera, I love the K-5 but I need more to hold on to, my only concern is weight, but the nice thing about that is I can remove the grip if it gets too heavy.
Thanks for the info on the strap, I imagine a cross body type would be perfect seeing as I am not going to take the camera off my person the entire time I am there, I watch my equipment like a hawk.
07-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The AA advantage is a real one IMHO and I love my K-x. Just thought I'd mention that the non-OEM batteries I own were dirt cheap, came with a nicer recharger (directly into the wall instead of the old-fashioned cord&recepticle model Pentax still sells), and work like a charm. I carry AAs for backup for the flash, K-x, and if I have either of those for the grip on the K-5 as well.
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #14

phatstraps.com has a lot of different designs if you're into this type of thing. They offer regular or quick release connections, multiple lengths, minky fabric lining and embroidered custom text. I purchased the chevron design/regular connection and am happy with it.
07-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The AA advantage is a real one IMHO and I love my K-x. Just thought I'd mention that the non-OEM batteries I own were dirt cheap, came with a nicer recharger (directly into the wall instead of the old-fashioned cord&recepticle model Pentax still sells), and work like a charm. I carry AAs for backup for the flash, K-x, and if I have either of those for the grip on the K-5 as well.
Where did you get the batteries?please provide a link