Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for your help everyone! From what I understand (mainly from the link Anvh posted), this could be a "normal" sensor artifact appearing when I underexpose at high ISO; if this is the case, chances are it will go away if I switch on in-body noise reduction. I will give it a try next time.

Of course it would be best to be able to expose correctly in the first place; while this is something I could have done on the first photo (actually this was one of the first shots of the evening, still trying to set up the camera correctly), the second one was taken in a club with chronic bad lighting (hence the "creative" white balance) so there's really no way to improve things without using a flash.

07-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Still weird though, as one of the many good things with this sensor is (or so I thought) that there pretty much isn't any banding noise, even if you push it fairly hard.
07-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
Thanks for your help everyone! From what I understand (mainly from the link Anvh posted), this could be a "normal" sensor artifact appearing when I underexpose at high ISO; if this is the case, chances are it will go away if I switch on in-body noise reduction. I will give it a try next time.

Of course it would be best to be able to expose correctly in the first place; while this is something I could have done on the first photo (actually this was one of the first shots of the evening, still trying to set up the camera correctly), the second one was taken in a club with chronic bad lighting (hence the "creative" white balance) so there's really no way to improve things without using a flash.
Depends on the noise reduction, some have a special option for banding noise.
If you shoot in RAW white balance doesn't matter but try to get your exposure correct.
09-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #19

Original Poster
I shot another concert last week, in the same club as the second photo in my first post.

Light was a little better this time; I started at ISO 8000 and quickly got down to 5000, and I didn't have to raise exposure in PP (the RawTherapee preset I used for most of the photos has +0.09 EV exposure compensation). I also enabled in-camera noise reduction, which was set to level 2 (max is 3). The result is much better but I still can see banding noise in many photos; see for example 5111 and 5114, both taken at ISO 8000, and 5232, taken at ISO 5000.

I have not tried reducing it further in PP, but I find it tolerable as is. Still not sure it is normal behavior for a K-5, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Last edited by nono; 09-29-2012 at 02:47 PM.
09-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shot another concert in the same club as the second photo in my first post last week.
You are certainly not afraid of using high-ISO, but those shots look pretty good. I couldn't really see any banding at all in the photos you mentioned, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. It doesn't jump out at the viewer.

I find it tolerable as is. Still not sure it is normal behavior for a K-5, but it doesn't bother me that much.
It's a fact of life for any sensor running high-ISO. What you are seeing from the K-5 is pretty good, in fact. To put things in perspective, lots of Canon 5D2 users, for example, complain a lot about noise banding being strongly visible at ISO 3200, or at even lower ISOs sometimes in boosted shadows, so you are getting a pretty good result.

Fortunately, since the issue is so common for Canon shooters, NR tools like Topaz Denoise seem to have put some effort into dealing specifically with noise banding (judging by a Topaz tutorial video I watched recently). If the issue continues to trouble you, you might want to look into some of these dedicated NR tools.