Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthernOracle Quote
I'm confused. Are you talking about the large black spots that look like dust on the lens/sensor or are you talking about the pink and white single pixel spots that look like bad pixels on the sensor? For all you guys screaming DUST you should look at the original size image. There's a pink spot in the top left, one in the bottom left, a white pixel spot on the left edge in the clouds above the horizon, and a black pixel spot just above and to the right of the sun.
I see a couple of pixel issues, yes, but the majority of the black swirly objects look like typical dust bunnies on a sensor. My original question to the OP was did they clean it before they sent it off. I still think that if it were cleaned properly, or even blown out in a clean environment, then we'd have less to see and what would be left would be easier to identify.

07-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm confused. Are you talking about the large black spots that look like dust on the lens/sensor or are you talking about the pink and white single pixel spots that look like bad pixels on the sensor? For all you guys screaming DUST you should look at the original size image. There's a pink spot in the top left, one in the bottom left, a white pixel spot on the left edge in the clouds above the horizon, and a black pixel spot just above and to the right of the sun.
I do see the stuck pixel on the left side, but since the OP mentions "These are not Dust marks", it would seem he is talking about the plethora of marks on the photo which look like he had water sprayed on his front element or a ton of dust on his sensor.
07-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Well when I look at the full size image I see 10x the dust/water spots (whatever) I see in the small one, it is by far what you notice most when you look at the photo...and likely why everyone is screaming dust/water spots

maybe a dead pixel or two which could also be lights on the houses except for the pink one, I have a dead pixel on my k-5 I think one or two is pretty common, and minor unless u shoot video
07-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Well when I look at the full size image I see 10x the dust I see in the small one, it is by far what you notice most when you look at the photo...

maybe a dead pixel or two which could also be lights on the houses
My point exactly, there's no real way to know UNLESS the sensor is cleaned properly - but even a good field cleaning in a suitable environment would improve things a great deal.

07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

None of these people who say 'dust' know what they're talking about...

it's snot and boogers, FCS, don't you guys know ANYTHING about photography?

Get yourself one of these:

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Problem solved. And stop sneezing when your lens is off! Or use a handkerchief at the very least!

Cheers,
Cameron
07-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
it's snot and boogers, FCS, don't you guys know ANYTHING about photography?

Get yourself one of these:

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Problem solved. And stop sneezing when your lens is off! Or use a handkerchief at the very least!

Cheers,
Cameron
well thats why you point a camera down when you change the lens, then you only have to wipe off the lcd
07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Dust can be next to invisible to the eye, I would be shocked if it was anything else. To see sensor dust you would likely need an inspection loupe.

Thanks for this , So just by visual inspection it's hard to see tiny dust marks on the image sensor , ok I feel slightly releaved , but there are still dead pixels on my images

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This image on your stream appears to have been taken 10 minutes before the one above. Did you do a bunch of cleanup in post?
The one above at f22 and this one is at f16.

Crew1 , That's well spotted , I did do a whole lot of clean up on all my images , took me a long time to do a whole bunch of touching up

I shall patiently wait for the verdict from camera repairer if dust clean-up is all that's required , there are bright spots appearing on my images also, even without the lens we took a shot of a white cealing and few bright spots on top of the images appear to be there . don't know if this would be a good test.
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The bright spots are dead pixels - a few of these are normal . There is a pixel mapping feature in the software that usually can address those.

07-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
klh
Site Supporter

The bright spots are dead pixels - a few of these are normal . There is a pixel mapping feature in the software that usually can address those.
Also, most RAW software will remove them. My K20D and K-5 have a few hot pixels which will show up in a longer exposure like this.
07-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is a pixel mapping feature in the software that usually can address those.
Indeed - OP should perform the procedure described in page 311 of the K-5 manual. No more hot pixels!

I would also be interested to see the JPG image produced by running the Dust Alert function...(p341 of the manual)
07-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately I don't have the camera in my posession to carry out the Pixel mapping Feature as suggested , but I have carried out this procedure previously when I first initlaly noticed the dead pixel/s on the image , since then haven't really taken any notice of the dead pixel/s until last sunday morning when I had taked pictures , Interestingly enough the Warranty repaire papers states

"Top Left of Frame There are 2 x Blooming marks / Watermarks on Sensor , these are generally only SEEN at F8 and smaller apertures" Also Stated earlier in the thread by "elpolodiablo"
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow, if these do turn out to be stains that is the worst case I've ever seen.
I was familiar with the 'string of pearls' type.
What is your serial number prefix?
07-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Serial no: 4309631176525 . Spoke to camera repaire centre this afternoon, as everyone has said all along those spots appear to be dust .let's hope so :-) . Thank you all for your comments and support . 2 weeks turn around minimum before I see the camera again . Should have bought a rocket blower and tried cleaning it myself :-(
07-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Serial no: 4309631176525 . Spoke to camera repaire centre this afternoon, as everyone has said all along those spots appear to be dust .let's hope so :-) . Thank you all for your comments and support . 2 weeks turn around minimum before I see the camera again . Should have bought a rocket blower and tried cleaning it myself :-(
Glad it wasn't worse. You can also buy the Pentax sensor cleaning packet - called the lollipop - to do a deeper cleaning at home.
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad it wasn't worse. You can also buy the Pentax sensor cleaning packet - called the lollipop - to do a deeper cleaning at home.
yeah , same here. I'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms from not having my K5 I need a K5 Fix.......

Edit: I will Definitely look at getting a Cleaning Kit.