Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
You have been spoilt by 12 years of drought. We have a few days of drizzle not months of the stuff.
Thats probably true, although coming from the farming background spoilt probably isn't how I would describe it.

07-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Seems to be a slight split in opinion here :
A) Don't worry.
B) Try to limit zooming the lens.

Is it best to err on caution ?
07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry, Only thing i would do is keep a towel of some small sort in the back (I use a microfiber cloth actually) and if you've been out long enough that water is dripping just wipe the gear down. the seals are meant to be good enough for rain, maybe not for a monsoon or hurricane in a non DA* lens though
07-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Seems to be a slight split in opinion here :
A) Don't worry.
B) Try to limit zooming the lens.

Is it best to err on caution ?
Some people pump that zoom action a good amount normally. Those people should take a little care to make sure there isn't a ton of water on the barrel while doing so - because then you may drag some water past the seal.

Careful use does not imply "don't use it in the rain". For example, I wouldn't point the lens straight up at the sky in a torrential downpour.

07-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #20

Yes the K5 is water resistant, BUT I'd never fully rely upon that.

First sign of rain, my K5 goes under a top whether it's a fleece or Gortex waterproof being brought out to take the shot, then tucked away again. I've used this procedure with all my cameras & thus far haven't had any problems so with the K5 maybe I'm being a tad over cautious.
07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
Yes the K5 is water resistant, BUT I'd never fully rely upon that.

First sign of rain, my K5 goes under a top whether it's a fleece or Gortex waterproof being brought out to take the shot, then tucked away again. I've used this procedure with all my cameras & thus far haven't had any problems so with the K5 maybe I'm being a tad over cautious.
I've shot at events in downpours with my k10 and k7 for the whole day. without WR lenses (though I have a trick for that involving gaffer tape and a bag for the lens) and with WR lenses. i wipe them down regularly with a cloth from my bag (the lens front eventually needs it anyway, and the VF)
most of the other guys shooting the event end up taking cver except the guys with the high end canikon gear, I'm usually the only Pentax shooter, I've seen an E-5 shooter who also just stayed out (oly has great weather sealing), the apsc shooters from canikon usually bail or have everything covered in bags
07-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Col
Veteran Member

Trust it

All I can say is relax and trust the WR. Makes for an enjoyable experience. Just be aware that rain means humidity and cooling which may lead to a condensation risk. I've used the K-5 in wet conditions (Scotland) and had no problem with the camera but condensation within my O-ME53!

07-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the confidence, day was mostly dry and then nasty drizzle from mid afternoon, kept camera mostly covered from rainbut great freedom to know that seeing it wet isn't a problem. Loving the 18 135, peepers may say its not perfect but doing great for me and range perfect.

07-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #24

i left mine under the cold shower for 6 straight hours, i had to test it cause it was a k5 with the improved seals that they used on the k30, dont ask how i got it, lets just say i also got a k30 in may. they both perform the same after 6 hours of non stop shower. I never trusted a camera nor a manufacture like i trust Pentax
07-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
i left mine under the cold shower for 6 straight hours, i had to test it cause it was a k5 with the improved seals that they used on the k30, dont ask how i got it, lets just say i also got a k30 in may. they both perform the same after 6 hours of non stop shower. I never trusted a camera nor a manufacture like i trust Pentax
What!?! You serious?? Damn, that may be the most hardcore test so far!
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What!?! You serious?? Damn, that may be the most hardcore test so far!
What?!

Take that back you blaspheming heretic!
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
What?!

Hey hey, yours will come a close second!

But seriously, a 6 hour shower... I hope there were some pictures or videos...
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
What?!

ROFLMAO! You're featured on the Pentax USA website BTW in their roundup of news section (and you're there several times as a matter of fact with links to different sites that used your video).

Explore the PENTAX Community
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #29

i had to leave the house cause after 20 minutes i thought i would have a seizure or something, i just could not hear the noise of the shower anymore pouring down the camera, but how would i do a six hour test video and not be boring at the same time??
07-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
i had to leave the house cause after 20 minutes i thought i would have a seizure or something, i just could not hear the noise of the shower anymore pouring down the camera, but how would i do a six hour test video and not be boring at the same time??
You've given me another idea for the v2.0 torture test come winter time with regard to elongated downpours, but that's the thing: how to fit it in a short video because no one wants to watch an hour long video lol. You could do a timelapse, with the camera in the shower, and another camera taking a picture of it for however long, and have a nice big clock positioned in the corner of the frame - you will get a sense of time that way if you do 30 sec shots and the viewer watches 6 hours condense into 30 secs or so.

The only issue for me, is how the hell do I do something like that and not get my gear stolen since it's community showers and many international personnel are here....

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
ROFLMAO! You're featured on the Pentax USA website BTW in their roundup of news section (and you're there several times as a matter of fact with links to different sites that used your video). Explore the PENTAX Community
I remember seeing that...still waiting for my email asking for my mailing address so they can send me some lenses/bodies to field test in Afghanistan

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Hey hey, [blah blah blah someone else's test blah blah blah] But seriously, nothing holds a candle to yours a 6 hour shower... I hope there were some pictures or videos...
Oh....for a second I thought we had a misunderstanding that was in need of some corrective action....glad to see everything is right in the world

-Heie