Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Forum Member
ifringe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 84
This weekend I took a (very unexpected) refreshing dip in Oak Creek, near Sedona. Not wanting to leave my K5/18-135 out of the fun, they joined me too. Despite going underwater for longer than I would have cared for in monsoon-driven rapids, the K5 came out perfectly fine. The 18-135, however, fared far worse and did not survive. Water came in the front of the lens, creating some exceptionally pleasing bokeh when it dried. Also, the lens reports having a 0.5 aperture now, and is no longer bothered by the tedium of actually having to focus.

Moral: the weather sealing is awesome in the extreme. It is not always infallible (and I am beyond thankful the K5 held up. yea, Pentax!). I have previously used this combination before in light to moderate rain with no fear and no problems. It is also possible that my heavy use of the 18-135 knocked something loose in the couple of years and hundreds of rugged situations it has been through.

07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ifringe Quote
This weekend I took a (very unexpected) refreshing dip in Oak Creek, near Sedona. Not wanting to leave my K5/18-135 out of the fun, they joined me too. Despite going underwater for longer than I would have cared for in monsoon-driven rapids, the K5 came out perfectly fine. The 18-135, however, fared far worse and did not survive. Water came in the front of the lens, creating some exceptionally pleasing bokeh when it dried. Also, the lens reports having a 0.5 aperture now, and is no longer bothered by the tedium of actually having to focus.

Moral: the weather sealing is awesome in the extreme. It is not always infallible (and I am beyond thankful the K5 held up. yea, Pentax!). I have previously used this combination before in light to moderate rain with no fear and no problems. It is also possible that my heavy use of the 18-135 knocked something loose in the couple of years and hundreds of rugged situations it has been through.
Sorry to hear about the death of your 18-135! The lens to camera body seal did in fact work from what you said, and IMHO that is THE most important seal on the lens.
07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Thanks for all of your posts - I am feeling much better about my decision to stay on the baseball field during the rain to continue shooting with my K-5/60-250. Now that I'm home, is there anything I should do to make sure my K-5 and lens are both okay?
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 131
I dropped mine in a pond and it survived.

07-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by war eagle Quote
Thanks for all of your posts - I am feeling much better about my decision to stay on the baseball field during the rain to continue shooting with my K-5/60-250. Now that I'm home, is there anything I should do to make sure my K-5 and lens are both okay?
Just pat dry the exposed parts, let it air dry.
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just pat dry the exposed parts, let it air dry.
Thanks!
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member
ifringe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The lens to camera body seal did in fact work from what you said, and IMHO that is THE most important seal on the lens.
I could not agree more! In fact, I was deeply surprised the lens leaked at all. However, that water was moving quite fast, and there was a lot of force, and there were rocks, too. It cannot be discounted that perhaps the lens hit a rock on the way in.

On the bright side, all the mud in the impossible to clean places on the K5 was washed neatly away from the last...incident. Dust, water, mud... great, great weather seals!
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #38
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Dont in any circumstances wipe the excess water off the camera body, let it dry on it on, cause if you wipe it you end up removing the water proof layer of material on the camera over time.

07-17-2012, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Chaos_Realm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,251
QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
Dont in any circumstances wipe the excess water off the camera body, let it dry on it on, cause if you wipe it you end up removing the water proof layer of material on the camera over time.
The camera is sealed with rubber gaskets. Not some water repellent coating. I dont think I understand where you are going with this?
If you mean the water repellent coating on the lens element then, I also have to tell you that these coatings are very durable, and by using a clean microfibre cloth I doubt you would cause any damage to the coating. I think the rubber seals would most likely give out before the coating.
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
I took my K5 out in the rain (and not very heavy rain at that) and the on off lever jammed up in the on position. I flossed it and its okay now, but I dont think I will be taking it out in bad weather again. The Samsung GX10, OTOH is a true alweather champ, has survived all weather challenges with the DA* 16-50 or DA*50-135 mounted in the 4 years I have had it.
07-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
Dont in any circumstances wipe the excess water off the camera body, let it dry on it on, cause if you wipe it you end up removing the water proof layer of material on the camera over time.
Where did you pull this nonsense from?
07-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,545
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Better solution - live in Melbourne Australia were you will get some nice weather at regular intervals.
LOL.. nice try Bob..
07-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
WR is weather resitant, not water resistent. There was a similair discussion on the dutchforums and some guys tried how for they could go. One of them submurged his K7 and it died. Actually not entirely because after a week of drying it came back to life but the backLCD was ruined.

The point is that the sealing is done by O-rings and that works perfectly fine to a certain degree. But if there is some dirt/sand/particle between the sealing it is gonna leak. So if you are gonna get out to shoot in wet conditions check if the connection/sealingsurface is clean. I have shot in heavy rain- and snowstorms with both K20d and K5 icw the 18-55WR and never had a problem.
07-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #44
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Where did you pull this nonsense from?
Well, do you really wanna know?
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
Well, do you really wanna know?
I think we do since it is complete bunk. Sealing is achieved through O rings not a coating on the camera
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, english, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, pentax k-5, summer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue K-30 + 18-135WR lens madbrain Ask B&H Photo! 6 07-04-2012 07:45 AM
Blue K-30 + 18-135WR lens ramseybuckeye Ask B&H Photo! 2 07-03-2012 05:09 PM
For Sale - Sold: K20d, da18-135wr, F50/1.7 apisto Sold Items 5 01-24-2012 09:29 AM
Disappointed in the 18-135WR Immunogirl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 121 07-20-2011 03:11 PM
18-55WR vs 18-135WR ? hoanpham Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 02-14-2011 05:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top