Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Forum Member

This weekend I took a (very unexpected) refreshing dip in Oak Creek, near Sedona. Not wanting to leave my K5/18-135 out of the fun, they joined me too. Despite going underwater for longer than I would have cared for in monsoon-driven rapids, the K5 came out perfectly fine. The 18-135, however, fared far worse and did not survive. Water came in the front of the lens, creating some exceptionally pleasing bokeh when it dried. Also, the lens reports having a 0.5 aperture now, and is no longer bothered by the tedium of actually having to focus.

Moral: the weather sealing is awesome in the extreme. It is not always infallible (and I am beyond thankful the K5 held up. yea, Pentax!). I have previously used this combination before in light to moderate rain with no fear and no problems. It is also possible that my heavy use of the 18-135 knocked something loose in the couple of years and hundreds of rugged situations it has been through.

07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ifringe Quote
This weekend I took a (very unexpected) refreshing dip in Oak Creek, near Sedona. Not wanting to leave my K5/18-135 out of the fun, they joined me too. Despite going underwater for longer than I would have cared for in monsoon-driven rapids, the K5 came out perfectly fine. The 18-135, however, fared far worse and did not survive. Water came in the front of the lens, creating some exceptionally pleasing bokeh when it dried. Also, the lens reports having a 0.5 aperture now, and is no longer bothered by the tedium of actually having to focus.

Moral: the weather sealing is awesome in the extreme. It is not always infallible (and I am beyond thankful the K5 held up. yea, Pentax!). I have previously used this combination before in light to moderate rain with no fear and no problems. It is also possible that my heavy use of the 18-135 knocked something loose in the couple of years and hundreds of rugged situations it has been through.
Sorry to hear about the death of your 18-135! The lens to camera body seal did in fact work from what you said, and IMHO that is THE most important seal on the lens.
07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #33

Thanks for all of your posts - I am feeling much better about my decision to stay on the baseball field during the rain to continue shooting with my K-5/60-250. Now that I'm home, is there anything I should do to make sure my K-5 and lens are both okay?
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #34

I dropped mine in a pond and it survived.

07-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by war eagle Quote
Thanks for all of your posts - I am feeling much better about my decision to stay on the baseball field during the rain to continue shooting with my K-5/60-250. Now that I'm home, is there anything I should do to make sure my K-5 and lens are both okay?
Just pat dry the exposed parts, let it air dry.
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just pat dry the exposed parts, let it air dry.
Thanks!
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The lens to camera body seal did in fact work from what you said, and IMHO that is THE most important seal on the lens.
I could not agree more! In fact, I was deeply surprised the lens leaked at all. However, that water was moving quite fast, and there was a lot of force, and there were rocks, too. It cannot be discounted that perhaps the lens hit a rock on the way in.

On the bright side, all the mud in the impossible to clean places on the K5 was washed neatly away from the last...incident. Dust, water, mud... great, great weather seals!

07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #38

Dont in any circumstances wipe the excess water off the camera body, let it dry on it on, cause if you wipe it you end up removing the water proof layer of material on the camera over time.
07-17-2012, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doug13 Quote
Dont in any circumstances wipe the excess water off the camera body, let it dry on it on, cause if you wipe it you end up removing the water proof layer of material on the camera over time.
The camera is sealed with rubber gaskets. Not some water repellent coating. I dont think I understand where you are going with this?
If you mean the water repellent coating on the lens element then, I also have to tell you that these coatings are very durable, and by using a clean microfibre cloth I doubt you would cause any damage to the coating. I think the rubber seals would most likely give out before the coating.
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I took my K5 out in the rain (and not very heavy rain at that) and the on off lever jammed up in the on position. I flossed it and its okay now, but I dont think I will be taking it out in bad weather again. The Samsung GX10, OTOH is a true alweather champ, has survived all weather challenges with the DA* 16-50 or DA*50-135 mounted in the 4 years I have had it.
07-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Where did you pull this nonsense from?
07-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Better solution - live in Melbourne Australia were you will get some nice weather at regular intervals.
LOL.. nice try Bob..
07-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

WR is weather resitant, not water resistent. There was a similair discussion on the dutchforums and some guys tried how for they could go. One of them submurged his K7 and it died. Actually not entirely because after a week of drying it came back to life but the backLCD was ruined.

The point is that the sealing is done by O-rings and that works perfectly fine to a certain degree. But if there is some dirt/sand/particle between the sealing it is gonna leak. So if you are gonna get out to shoot in wet conditions check if the connection/sealingsurface is clean. I have shot in heavy rain- and snowstorms with both K20d and K5 icw the 18-55WR and never had a problem.
07-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Where did you pull this nonsense from?
Well, do you really wanna know?
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, do you really wanna know?
I think we do since it is complete bunk. Sealing is achieved through O rings not a coating on the camera