Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

K-5 and 360fgz flash, overexposure

Hi,

To start things off, I read a bunch of threads on here about this, but the last posts were all over 1.5 years ago, so I didn't want to resurrect anything. I'm having overexposure issues with my K-5 (I got it in the mail today) with my 360fgz (diffuser attached, pointed up at the white ceiling) using P-TTL mode across all camera modes. I updated the firmware to 1.13 to start fixing it and it showed overexposure consistently still, taking 30ish photos at various settings, turning both off and on a few times (manual -2EV seemed to about balance it out). I figured the higher the light sensitivity the more exposed it was being from what I saw and tests I found online. The camera would always pick the max sensitivity in the range. When I went to test this, I turned the camera back on and I brought it down to 200, then worked my way back up, but now it seems to be working? Turning it off/on again with different settings, taking 10ish more photos, all seem to be fine. I will try to provide more information, but testing it has come to a halt due to it randomly functioning correctly now. Anyway, sorry for the lack of information I was able to get, I was just hoping someone may know of this or a fix. 1.11 seemed to help some people, but the problem seemed unresolved in the 1.5 years old threads.

~John

07-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Salmoon Quote
but the last posts were all over 1.5 years ago
The last directly relevant post to your situation was only yesterday:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/191116-some-insight-into-flash...ml#post2018021
07-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ahh, thank you. Guess I missed them, I was doing a google search, so I guess more recent ones just haven't been as popular. I took a look through there and it seemed good. I always use Manual when using a flash anyway, since I've always viewed the flash as the 'boost' to get the shot how I want it. The camera seems to be randomly working now, so I don't know what the problem was. Didn't work for the first hour, but now it seems okay. When I actually have to go use it next I guess will be my big test. Thanks for the link!
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Salmoon, if you do figure any more out, PLEASE DO post either here or in the other thread. I struggle against significant bounce flash overexposure on my K-5/AF360 combo.

Direct flash is fine. Wireless P-TTL flash is fine (controlled by the on-camera flash), either direct or bounced, it doesn't matter.

But if I attach the flash to the camera and bounce it, it's ALWAYS overexposed, exactly as you describe in your original post.

07-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
From what I gather, the consensus seems to be if you take a 360 and bounce it off a white ceiling, you are going to over-expose by 1-2stops. The only thing you can do is set your fev to -1.3 or so when you want to bounce off the ceiling. Pentax is aware of this issue, but claims there is no fix in progress. It bothers me as both pieces are pentax and the original reason I bought a 360fgz for my first camera(k-x) was because I wanted the compatibility. When I take the flash off the k-5 and back to the k-x, it can bounce normally.
07-17-2012, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #6

Hi Gang....

I had this issue in a big way...so much so I almost sent the camera back..
However, with a little experimenting and double checking on what I had set my K10D and K20D on, I did the same with the the K5 and its solved 90% of the over exposures, the other 10% is me :/

In the menu, go to the last set of pages under the orange "C"
on number 5. AE-L with AF Locked (set to mode 2) and 6. Link AE to AF Point (set to mode 2)
I've also set number 2. Sensitivity Steps to mode 2 as well......

This has helped me massively, as I used to have way too many over exposures whilst doing weddings...I was having to auto bracket loads, to wasting card space.
Hope this helps.
07-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, Dunc, but it doesn't seem it has helped for me : /

07-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Salmoon Quote
Thanks for the info, Dunc, but it doesn't seem it has helped for me : /

Thats very odd.....Its a shame that Pentax seems not to care as well....not good for business?
Sorry it hasn't help mate.