Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Anvh, you can't turn off the quick focus zoom in live view...
At least, not on a K-r.

07-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well there are 2 AF modes with liveview, one uses the sensor and is called contrast AF ad the other uses the special AF sensor and is called phase AF for the later the mirror needs to be down.
I suspect the OP was using phase AF with liveview some of the time, my camera came with this mode enabled, I **HATED IT**, did not have a clue what was going on, struggled to take a photo at all. For people new to the K5 they should disable that initially at least.
07-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Anvh, you can't turn off the quick focus zoom in live view...
At least, not on a K-r.
Not on the K5 either, got confused with the option quick-zoom, there are so many settings on the camera....
07-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Point 1, 3 and 4 are not the camera's fault...

07-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't think any of those points can be counted as camera's fault...
The only one that COULD be camera's fault is the 5th, but i didn't get it. He was probably using liveview + phase detection, then it would black out to focus, and liveview + contrast detection would zoom in to focus.
Simple solution : use the viewfinder - its the heart of the camera
07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the only problem i see here is that you haven't bothered to learn how to use your camera. read the manual.
07-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I learned the camera with my K85 1.8 while on vacation in manual and used the LCD screen almost exclusively. I've only had AF ability for a month. The day the '77 arrived, I used the VF.
You should be able to turn all that crap off. Why have an LCD panel just review pics?

On a good note, I've discovered how talong with the program line works. Regarding DOF, is this the feature that takes a snapshot and displays the four colored
histograms?

07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The LCD screen is important for recording video. Also - you will have a lot of fun trying to adjust all the settings in the camera without an LCD screen.
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You sound a lot like 'Pentax Expert' over on the UK forum! Keep going man, it's hilarious!
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of those issues you have could be remedied by reading the manual, playing with the camera before a shooting expedition, and a bit of planning.

Take it as a learning experience!

If it's any consolation, my Canon 5D2 makes the chugging sound when shooting in live view as well. This noise isn't restricted to Pentax cameras.

I find that there are only a few situations where I really use live view on my cameras. Back when I had a glorified p&s, I mainly used live view because the viewfinder was so dark and small (and wasn't WYSIWYG).
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't use live view focusing on the K5 most of the time, certainly not with auto focus. Just look through the viewfinder and shoot away. It's easier. Liveview is mainly helpful if you are doing manual focusing or, if you are in a place where you can't reach the viewfinder with your eye easily. Phase detect auto focus will blank out the live view briefly while the camera focuses and then bring it back. With contrast detect, the view will stay on the whole time. Either way, it will be fairly slow compared to shooting through the viewfinder.
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
.... Why have an LCD panel just review pics? ...
If yiou're going to use it just be sure you've disabled phase AF in live view, it doesn't really work (personal opinion) - menu page 4 "Live View" little man or the half white circle, not the 11 dots.

As others said avoid Live view where possible, simply because the focussing method (based on contrast) is not as good or as fast as the phase detect AF you get when using the OVF. Thats why majority of people here see it only as a means to review pics ... because using it cripples the camera.
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Otis diagnosed your problems and advised the solution is to RTFM.

Regards!
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
07-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He we go with that reading BS again. I'll do it, but I don't gotta like it.