Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
MLU with timer

Hi,

Been trying to take tripod shot with MLU.

I am without a cable release at the moment.

Can't seems to be able to do MLU with timer delay.

I.e:

Press shutter -> Mirror go up -> press shutter again -> start timer -> after 2 sec (or 10 sec) -> take photo

I am hoping that the timer will allow the camera to stablise after my push shutter action ( which can cause some movement).

What am I doing wrong?

Help appreciated.

-kk

07-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you performed all the steps in pp 149-150 of the K-5 manual: 'Shooting with the Mirror Lock-up Function' ?
07-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The 2 second timer should be sufficient on it's own. I use this method for all my tripod mounted shots.

Set 2 sec timer, press shutter button, mirror lifts and holds for 2 secs, shot taken, mirror drops. DON'T try using the self timer at the same time.

Good idea to use a wireless or wired remote in addition to ensure you don't disturb anything when you press the shutter button.

If on the other hand you want to take a self portrait, then use the 10 sec timer. The mirror will lift as soon as the shutter button is pressed, and stay up until the end of the 10sec at which time the shutter will fire.

Either way, the mirror lifts at the start of the timed period and stays up until the shutter fires.

Last edited by JohnX; 07-11-2012 at 01:09 AM.
07-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
kkx
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
sorted, thanks

Rawr, yup did all the steps. Tried again after reading your post, still the same.

Johnx, Thanks for your reply. Didn't know that with timer, the mirror always lock up at shutter press.

Tested it and all is fine.

Thanks.

07-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

It just kills me that I can't use MLU when doing brackets! If there was ever a time when you need it that's it!
07-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Either way, the mirror lifts at the start of the timed period and stays up until the shutter fires.
Only if you are using the 2sec delay though, not if you are using the 12sec timer.
Unless you are in live view, then the mirror stays up for both options.

One can also enable live view just before bracketing if one wants mirror up while bracketing.