Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

auto exposure it night

i am trying to do an time lapse over the course of a day/night cycle, but i can't seem to get my K5 to correctly expose once the lighting gets low enough.
i am using program mode so it will automatically choose exposure for the day and the night in sequential shooting mode.
it will go 6 seconds max at iso 200, and when i change iso to auto, it will go to 1.3"/12800iso and give me the same underexposed image.
the "flash necessary" is illuminated, but i do not want to use flash, i want it to choose a longer exposure at max aperature.

ive only had the K5 a few days, but i could have sworn my old k100 and k-x both exposed correctly at night, going up to 30 seconds if necessary, but i can't get the k5 to expose a night shot "brighter" than real life like it should ("brighter" meaning thta with my naked eye its dark, but correct exposure should be brighter than that)

any ideas?

Last edited by dominikkolendo; 07-11-2012 at 12:47 AM.
07-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think program mode is the issue, as it will automatically vary both aperture and shutter along a pre-set program-line using an algorithm.

Try aperture priority, and fixed ISO. The camera will then have only one variable to deal with - shutter speed.
07-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
no, its in any mode (except manual of course)
it gives me a max exposure that seems predefined, as in about 3EV too low
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
for example, at f4.0/iso6400, the lowest speed it will go is 1/6th of a second.
it wil go slower than 1/6th of a second, but only if i boost ISO or open aperture more

07-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
maybe i should rephrase teh question...
have i reached the lowest light that a K5 will meter at?
in a closed small bedroom with one candle it will expose correctly, perhaps if i want it to meter in a darker environment than that i am asking too much of teh camera?
07-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Doubt you have reached the limit. Max exposure without using 'bulb' setting is 30sec.

I don't have a K-5, but out of the box it is set up to do all sorts of things I understand, so I'd go slowly through the manual/menu and ensure there's nothing set at default that affects exposure.

All this processing will affect your cameras ability to take time lapse, especially if you've set the camera timer to a between-shot period shorter than the time the camera needs to process the shot.

Also, don't forget long exposure noise reduction; the camera will take a 'dark' shot of equal length to subtract noise from the actual shot. I be;lieve you can turn this off in the K-5 menu.

Come to the end of my suggestions, other than maybe search this Forum for time-lapse advice, (but I'm sure you'll have done that already), so good luck.

There will be a solution; it's just not obvious.
07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have lights from the city etc. in your crop when shooting in the dark, underexpose 1-3 steps and you'll get more appropriate exposures.
07-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
i appreciate the advice, but i do know how to meter.
@john, the interval is set to every 45 seconds, so thats not an issue, and like i said, this is an all-encompassing wall, whether i am shooting in single shot, timer, continuous, etc.
@JFN i can't overexpose because then the shots during the day will be blown.

maybe someone could set their K5 to iso 6400, f4 and see if it will go slower than 1/6th in any situation?
i am using the 18-55WR fyi as its my only WR lens.

i have gone through every menu optiona nd read the manual front to back, i am almost certain at this point that i have hit the threshhold of the K5's metering... unless someone shows me otherwise

07-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
i think i answered the question. my theory:
if i lower the iso to 100, at f3.5, the shutter goes to 30s.
as 30 is the longest the camera can automatically open the shutter, it makes sense that at the point it meters for 30s is also the lowest available light metering the camera can shoot at.