Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
bad battery or just imcompatible?

Bought a D-L190 1800mah "replacement battery" through amazon to have as a backup... It doesn't charge with the charger that came with my K5. It actually came with a charge so I used it for a day until it ran dry. When I try to charge it the light only stays green on the charger for a few seconds. The battery that came with the K5 charges fine.. Think the battery is bad or just incompatible somehow?

thanks,
todd

07-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #2

Sounds like a dud battery - Amazon returns policy should provide you with a replacement or refund.

I bought an Energiser D-LI90 1860mAh from Jessops (Energizer D-LI90 1860mAh Battery for Pentax - DLI90 - Digital Mains Units, Chargers & Batteries - Jessops) which I recommend as I can't tell the difference between this & the original Pentax; possibly twice as much as other independents BUT half the price of the OEM & well worth it.
07-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any new Lion battery should be fully charged before you use it. Do not take a new Lion battery and install it in your camera, always charge it FULLY first.
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Any new Lion battery should be fully charged before you use it. Do not take a new Lion battery and install it in your camera, always charge it FULLY first.
Why? There's no memeory effect.

07-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks... i just tried it initially because it wouldnt charge but then i saw that it had a full charge in camera so I thought i'd try draining it to see if it would then recharge. Looks like I need to return it.. argh
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
Why? There's no memeory effect.
I did that to a Canon battery for the wife's P&S camera. It would not take a charge after the camera drained the battery. When I called Canon service, I was told by them to always charge the battery fully before using. Something about how they are made requires a charge before first use. The manual for my K-5 said to charge the battery before using, just as did the Canon manual. I think there must be something to it.
08-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have 2 somewhat new Sanyo XX batteries I suspect are bad. Is the only way to verify this by recharging and using them a number of times?

08-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll leave this to someone more knowledgeable, but without some kind of tester, that's what seems like would be your only option... I do think there are testers out there that I recall seeing online, but I've never owned one..
08-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I went through lots and lots of batteries this weekend (shot for 16 hours at a wedding) and didn't notice anything odd - must have been a misplaced suspicion.