Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #1

K5 with Kit 18-55mm WR questions

Hello, I have had the K5 for 5 days now and have noticed a few things. ( This is a paste from my other thread) I am enjoying using the camera, however I am not that happy with the kit lens. It is soft wide open and zoomed out as well. I am hoping it is just the lens and not the camera. Can't imagine it is the camera. Also all of my pictures are underexposed a little. I am using the correct exposure settings so I think it's either the camera or the lens. No biggie as I can fix in PP. My 60D is spot on. I pretty much use the center focus point on the camera and have noticed that sometimes I can't get a lock on focus and I have to recompose. Is this normal for this camera, lens? Will I see much better results with a good lens? I am very happy with my 60D. The only thing I really wanted was to be able to pull more detail out of the dark areas with the type of landscape shots I have shown here. The K5 seems to be able to do that better plus it has the weather sealing. I am thinking about renting a couple lenses to really see what I can get out of it. I just took the 2 cameras around my house with similar settings and the 60D shots were so much better to my eyes. Granted I am using the Canon 15-85mm lens which is a step up from the kit lens. So thats why I am thinking of renting a better lens. Would the 18-135 WR give me similar results as the Canon 15-85? Or is it the same IQ as the 18-55? I know primes are the way to go. Just trying to make sense of my purchase. Sorry for my rambling.

Thanks

07-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IQ of the 18-135 is a bit better, and it's got better AF due to shorter throw, but obviously you'd get better accuracy with a faster lens.

As far as underexposure goes, have you set the camera to spot metering or matrix metering? If it's the former, that would explain things. I'd also recommend using 5-point AF instead of spot AF just in case there's not enough light in the center.
07-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I am using matrix and I will try the 5 point setting.

Thanks again.
07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Metering can be tricky when you're in an area with shadows and sun - it all depends on where that camera picks the point.

I found both the 16-45 and the 18-135 much better than the kit lens, but i had an old generation one which came with my K-10. The 18-135 is much nicer to use, too, with the motorized focus.

07-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Hello, I have had the K5 for 5 days now and have noticed a few things. ( This is a paste from my other thread) I am enjoying using the camera, however I am not that happy with the kit lens. It is soft wide open and zoomed out as well. I am hoping it is just the lens and not the camera. Can't imagine it is the camera. Also all of my pictures are underexposed a little. I am using the correct exposure settings so I think it's either the camera or the lens. No biggie as I can fix in PP. My 60D is spot on. I pretty much use the center focus point on the camera and have noticed that sometimes I can't get a lock on focus and I have to recompose. Is this normal for this camera, lens? Will I see much better results with a good lens? I am very happy with my 60D. The only thing I really wanted was to be able to pull more detail out of the dark areas with the type of landscape shots I have shown here. The K5 seems to be able to do that better plus it has the weather sealing. I am thinking about renting a couple lenses to really see what I can get out of it. I just took the 2 cameras around my house with similar settings and the 60D shots were so much better to my eyes. Granted I am using the Canon 15-85mm lens which is a step up from the kit lens. So thats why I am thinking of renting a better lens. Would the 18-135 WR give me similar results as the Canon 15-85? Or is it the same IQ as the 18-55? I know primes are the way to go. Just trying to make sense of my purchase. Sorry for my rambling.

Thanks
Some love the 18-135, some don't. The IQ is OK but not spectacular. Sorry, I've never tried the Canon 15-85.

The K5 is definitely better than the 60D as a camera, IMO. The sensor is far better (without question), I prefer the dual wheels/ button layout / single-hand use of the Pentax (personal preference). On the downside the Canon AF is generally considered better than the K5's.

Unfortunately a lot of the great Pentax lenses are not WR. That said there are loads of great pentax lenses. The limited series is fantastic.
07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've got both the 18-55 mkII (the kit lens is a DAL but it has the same optical formula as the MkII) and the 18-135WR and the 18-135 has better overall sharpness than the 18-55 IMHO. Is it as sharp as my M200, or my FA50/1.4 - no, but its a tele-zoom.
07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I find the k-5 under-exposes by 1/2 to 2/3 stops depending on the lens. Some lenses are spot on, some not so much. I just set the exposure compensation up a 1/2 stop or as needed. You can fix that in PP of course by why? If you know you need a little compensation then do it in the camera, that's what that button is for.

The Pentax kit lens is reputed to be much better than the kit lens of other brands (that's what I've heard, I have no personal experience) however, it is a $75 lens. If you are looking for a lens to match the image quality of the camera you need to look at better glass. There are three contenders here in the focal range of your kit lens: the Tamron & Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the Pentax DA*16-50 f/2.8 assuming you get a good copy all of those will show a noticeable difference over the kit lens.
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I find the k-5 under-exposes by 1/2 to 2/3 stops depending on the lens. Some lenses are spot on, some not so much. I just set the exposure compensation up a 1/2 stop or as needed. You can fix that in PP of course by why? If you know you need a little compensation then do it in the camera, that's what that button is for.

The Pentax kit lens is reputed to be much better than the kit lens of other brands (that's what I've heard, I have no personal experience) however, it is a $75 lens. If you are looking for a lens to match the image quality of the camera you need to look at better glass. There are three contenders here in the focal range of your kit lens: the Tamron & Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the Pentax DA*16-50 f/2.8 assuming you get a good copy all of those will show a noticeable difference over the kit lens.
Thanks. I had the Tamron 17-50 non VC for my Canon and it was a great lens. I was thinking of that one. I was also thinking of the Pentax 12-24 wide angle as I intend to use the K5 for mostly landscape and use the 60D for Sports and Wildlife. I know it is expensive. The Tamron is not as wide of course but a lot cheaper and a great walk around lens that can also be use for some landscape. Also thought about the Sigma 8-16. Decisions.....

07-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Thanks. I had the Tamron 17-50 non VC for my Canon and it was a great lens. I was thinking of that one. I was also thinking of the Pentax 12-24 wide angle as I intend to use the K5 for mostly landscape and use the 60D for Sports and Wildlife. I know it is expensive. The Tamron is not as wide of course but a lot cheaper and a great walk around lens that can also be use for some landscape. Also thought about the Sigma 8-16. Decisions.....
If you are looking for a wide zoom then I'd read the 4 lens review here on the 2 Sigmas, 1 Tamron, and the Pentax. The Pentax does not come out on top.
DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
07-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you are looking for a wide zoom then I'd read the 4 lens review here on the 2 Sigmas, 1 Tamron, and the Pentax. The Pentax does not come out on top.
DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Thanks, I'll check it out.
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
18-55 is sharpest at f/8 so try shooting in f8 more often, though you'll lose out on dof.