Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The Pentax K5 is Freakin' Awesome! :-)

Greetings everyone!

I just picked up my Pentax K5 with a very nice Pentax DA 10-17mm ED (IF) FISHEYE Lens from Ebay vendor: prodigital2000.
Pentax K5 $849.99
DA 10-17mm lens $540.00
And had it shipped to a U.S. address... which meant no taxes and no shipping charges! And for fellow Canadians, I should point out that this camera comes with a 2 year Canadian warranty! I thought it was going to be a grey market U.S. camera so I was quite pleasantly surprised to see the Canadian warranty information.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a Fisheye, the Pentax DA 10-17mm ED (IF) FISHEYE Lens is very impressive!

The Pentax K5? OMG!!! I can't believe I waited this long to replace my K20D! Some of you might remember that for a time, I was hated by some Pentax forum members. (stupid really - you know who you are! LOL) Why? Because I was quite outspoken about the flaws in the K20D, namely sensor noise and ESPECIALLY the damn DFS! Well, that is history man! After 1 hour of fiddling with the K5, I am fully indoctrinated into the cult of Pentax!

Wow, where do I begin... well naturally, the first thing I tried was turning of DFS (I hate you DFS!). Long exposures are crisp with no discernible noise (so far - not the best tests yet). I haven't done a good comparison yet but I think that long exposures might be better than on my Canon 50D? Could this be real? I mean Canon xxD cameras are the camera of choice for Astrophotographers. Is it possible the Pentax K5 is better?? Stay tuned!

Something else I noticed was the amazing crispness of photos with my beloved Tamron 24-135mm 50th Anniversary lens (I've owned since the days of my Pentax MZ-S - anyone else have one of these lenses?). I always found that this lens produced soft images with the K20D but not at all with the K5. The snap shots (in dull restaurant lighting) were so crisp that my wife (and photo subject) was disgusted that the snapshot showed fine chin hairs.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my initial reaction to this ultra fine piece of engineering!

Kudos Pentax... er... Ricoh (our new overlords).

BTW... one little complaint. I had this issue on my K20D as well. Is there any way to program the RAW/Fx button to *remember* a JPG or RAW setting between sessions. I want to use JPG or RAW about 60/40% of the time and I hate how it will always revert back to the default RAW after powering down or just navigating the menu. In other words, I want the camera to remember the last setting and stay there until I instruct otherwise.

Take care all!

07-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh... also tested the built in HDR mode.

Holy cow, this mode is actually quite capable! But what about my Kolar Autopano Giga investment (not cheap!)?

Looking forward to giving the HDR mode a really good workout.

I wonder if I can repeat this photo all in-camera?
Lake Louise-Pan-HDR-July 8 2010-new-small | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Question: Can the K5 save the individual images (used to make an in-camera HDR)?

Thanks
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, welcome to the K-5verse. Very nice camera.
07-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Wow, where do I begin... well naturally, the first thing I tried was turning of DFS (I hate you DFS!). Long exposures are crisp with no discernible noise (so far - not the best tests yet). I haven't done a good comparison yet but I think that long exposures might be better than on my Canon 50D? Could this be real? I mean Canon xxD cameras are the camera of choice for Astrophotographers. Is it possible the Pentax K5 is better?? Stay tuned!
I've never paid any attention, or known about, DFS. Had to look it up: Dark Frame Subtraction. I haven't run in to any problems so far but will look into it in order to steer clear of any potential ones. I sort of hate to do this, link to a different forum (hopefully not against the rules), but there is a nice thread about using the K-5 at ISO 80 for astrophotography. Haven't tried it but after reading the thread I'm interested in getting a telescope to use the K-5 with. Stacking images is also a really interesting process to me that I haven't done but would like to try out.

07-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BTW: I absolutely agree, the K-5 is a true marvel of a camera! I'm jealous of the price you got on it. I had to pay 50% more at the time I bought mine.
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The more you use it the more you will love it...trust me! What a great camera it has turned out to be....and at one time I was afraid it would bite the dust, but it is truly amazing.
Regards & Congratulations!
07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats on your camera! I would think it could compete with or best any member of the Canon XXD line in the IQ dept.
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
BTW... one little complaint. I had this issue on my K20D as well. Is there any way to program the RAW/Fx button to *remember* a JPG or RAW setting between sessions. I want to use JPG or RAW about 60/40% of the time and I hate how it will always revert back to the default RAW after powering down or just navigating the menu. In other words, I want the camera to remember the last setting and stay there until I instruct otherwise.
Not between sessions (I don't think -- that would actually be a bad feature IMHO), but it has several USER modes where it can remember all settings so you could have USER 1 be JPG, and USER 2 be RAW, etc. The RAW/Fx button can actually be customized to do about 5 different things (menu 5/button customization).

Make sure to update your firmware...

07-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Congrats! Just got mine yesterday. I can't wait to try some all night sessions with the the stars, the K5, and an intervalometer. With my old K10d, it seemed like there was more sensor noise than stars
07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlaporte Quote
Congrats! Just got mine yesterday. I can't wait to try some all night sessions with the the stars, the K5, and an intervalometer. With my old K10d, it seemed like there was more sensor noise than stars
Welcome Aboard! Glad you decided to upgrade and to join here.
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

K-5 is my first dslr...unboxed June 1. I am loving it just as much as you are.

I got mine off Amazon from the US with a US warranty, brand new with a few lenses including....an 18-55WR, a 55-300 and literally a whole box of other stuff (3 spare batteries, a spare charger/travel charger, tripod, lens filters and like 15 other things) all combined for under $1400 to the door...I figure the box of goodies was about $200+- worth of stuff...

Also I have dealt with prodigital and they are great guys. Bought two lenses from them. Excellent service.

If I had it to do over again though, I would skip all those package deals. I would buy a body and make my own package piece by piece with the lenses I have researched out. Learning experience... but if I did over pay, I only overpaid 'some'...

Last edited by alamo5000; 07-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I've never paid any attention, or known about, DFS. Had to look it up: Dark Frame Subtraction. I haven't run in to any problems so far but will look into it in order to steer clear of any potential ones. I sort of hate to do this, link to a different forum (hopefully not against the rules), but there is a nice thread about using the K-5 at ISO 80 for astrophotography. Haven't tried it but after reading the thread I'm interested in getting a telescope to use the K-5 with. Stacking images is also a really interesting process to me that I haven't done but would like to try out.
The inability to turn off DFS on the K20D had me complaining about it ad-nauseum. I believe I ticked off a few die-hard Pentaxians a year or two ago. It was unfortunately because I've always loved the Pentax, I just get annoyed at their missteps (arrgh... the 1*st for instance - dumb name and not so great camera - ha ha... some might not agree). Anyhow, I did love the K20D but it was nearly completely useless in low-light.

That's all the past.

Everything about the K5 impresses me. A few things will need some getting used to... such as the locking mode dial and some button placements.
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Love the locking mode dial. On my Canon 5DII, I always bump that with my arm....go up to take a shot to find I'm on bulb or something. Super annoying.
07-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the K5 club! It definitely is the first Pentax camera that I have used where I didn't feel a strong urge to upgrade to something else after using it for awhile. K20 and K7 were OK in their day and I got plenty of good photos from them, but the K5 is definitely a keeper.

In camera HDR is pretty decent, but you will still get better results bracketing photos and doing it yourself with dedicate software.