Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

LCD Screen Protector for K-5

Is it a good idea to put a screen protector on my LCD screen? I just purchased the Pentax K-5 and want to protect the screens if necessary. Please give recommendations! Thanks!

07-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

What kind of glass do they use for the screen? Depending on that, you may not need a screen protector.
07-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ACMAXX LCD Protector - Pentax K-5
i've been happy with this on my K7. What's nice is that they include one for the top lcd also.
Couldn't answer if it's necessary, per se, but it's some sort of peace of mind for little cost.
07-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I protect my LCD with this protector:
Hoodman Super Hoodskins (Model SHSK 3) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I find that I am more likely to scratch the LCD than the top screen.

Hope that the info may help.

07-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

I used Hoodman plastic screen protectors on all my DSLRs and was reasonably satisfied with them but unhappy with the fact that I could never get them to stick without getting some bubbles underneath and because they made it harder to "chimp" in bright outdoor conditions. Then I found a $15 Vello glass screen cover for my K-5 and I'm much happier; the adhesive is only around the edges, and I got it on w/ no bubbles between the surfaces, plus the screen is at least as viewable as w/o a cover. I couldn't find it when I went back to B & H's site, but they did have a Giotto's glass cover for $25 that looks about the same and specifies it fits the K-5:
Giottos SP8302 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen SP8302L B&H
For the small top screen I still use a (trimmed) piece of Hoodman flexible plastic, but I'm actually less concerned about damaging that LCD because, unlike the main LCD, my wire-rimmed, metal eyeglass frames seem unlikely to reach it!
07-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Calsan, ACMAXX all the way. It"s perfect for the price since you get both shoulder screen and lcd screen protectors. I have tried other screen protectors on my K-x and they all end up getting chipped and I end up having to replace them. I still have the original ACMAXX on my K-5. You can also purchase it off Ebay like I did. I plan on replacing my K-x's screen with a ACMAXX as well.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACMAXX-3-0-HARD-LCD-ARMOR-PROTECTOR-Pentax-K5-K-5-K5...ht_2190wt_1165
07-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

ACMAXX is the way to go, it comes with both back and top lcd protectors, made out of polycarbonate so it's quite sturdy.
07-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #8

I use a Vikuiti™ ADQC27 Screen Protector which is crystal-clear, anti-reflective, hard-coated, dirt-repellent, very simple assembly & residue-free removal; check out: protectionfilms24.com | Vikuiti? ADQC27 Screen Protector for Pentax K7, K-7

It is simple to fit, bubble free and can be easily removed as NO adhesive is used in the process.

I've used one on both my K10 for years & K5; it doesn't scratch unlike some cheaper alternatives.

07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #9

Here's a vote for the Giottos (Giottos SP8302 AEGIS Professional Glass Optic Screen SP8302L B&H). I've had one on my K200D for over 2 years now. They are good quality glass with no discernible impact in viewing the LCD screen. Aside from the small logo along the bottom of the protector it is difficult to tell that there is one on. While more expensive than some of the other protectors, they are well worth the $.

Regards
07-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

I just bought the GSS protector (glass) off Amazon. It looks real nice and has great ratings. It doesn't come with the top LCD though. It was like 5$. NOTE: you have to buy the one made for Nikon D3000 as the K5 doesn't fit right. Unfortunately, it says D3000 on it (not a big deal). I just got mine yesterday and it fits perfectly.
07-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Delkin screen on my K10D. It is edge adhesive only, stiff plastic screen, and comes with a snap on/off/open metal cover with side wings that shade the LCD nicely outdoors. c$20 is about the top price, depending on screen size. The little tabs that hold the cover on are fragile - I'm on my third screen - but other than my clumsiness, I really like them.
07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
klh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
ACMAXX LCD Protector - Pentax K-5
i've been happy with this on my K7. What's nice is that they include one for the top lcd also.
Couldn't answer if it's necessary, per se, but it's some sort of peace of mind for little cost.
I second that. Used it on my K20D and the K-5. Great product.
07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

I decided on the ACMAXX screen protectors after reading lots of positive reviews and then I just never got around to ordering them. Thanks to this thread - I ordered mine tonight.
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

+1 for the ACMAXX screen protector.
07-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another vote for the ACMAXX screen protector. Both LCDs are protected.

One thing I do notice is that in hotter weather the adhesive on the screens softens a bit so the protectors can be moved around easier. Especially the top one of mine for some reason.

Not a deal breaker, just something to keep an eye out for.