Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone explain Custom functions C2-10&11

I've set a custom white balance for flash set up but not sure how to set these two functions
Thanks in advance. David

10. WB Adjustable
Range
Sets whether to automatically fine-tune
the white balance when specifying the
light source on the white balance
setting.
p.206
11. WB When Using
Flash
Sets the white balance setting when
using flash. p.206

07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Forum Member

C2-10:
1) Auto Adjustment
This option allows for automatic fine tuning of the white balance, so that instead of selecting one color temperature, you select a range (The following are just made-up numbers, but gives an example of how it could work: instead of setting a single value of say 2800 K (about where tungsten would be), the setting would be 2700--2900, and the camera would decide where in that interval to put the actual white balance). The advantage with this is some flexibility even when a fixed setting is chosen.
2) Fixed
This option means that each setting corresponds to just a single color temperature. The advantage is consistency between shots.

C2-11
1) Auto White Balance
This means that the camera will use its auto white balance when in flash mode, even if you have set a different white balance (when you set a white balance, it will only affect non-flash shots, and the camera will override your setting when in flash mode).
2) Unchanged
This means that the camera will use whatever white balance you have set even when in flash mode. If you use this and set white balance to tungsten, the flash light will look bluish in the pictures. If you use it and set white balance to cloudy, the flash light will look yellowish or reddish. I personally use this setting to be able to use a color filter (gel) on my flash without getting color casts in my pictures. For example, I might put a filter on the flash (not on the lens!) that converts daylight (similar temperature as flash light) to 3200 K, and then set manual white balance to 3200 K, shoot indoors with flash and get ever so slightly yellow incandescent lights instead of very yellow incandescent lights, in other words, I match my flash color temperature to the indoor lighting, and doing so I must also adjust the camera white balance. For this to work, option "2) Unchanged" must be used.
3) Flash
With this setting, the camera will always override the white balance setting you are using, and use flash white balance instead (in other words, the white balance color temperature is set to match the flash).
07-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for that excellent reply. I had sort of come to this conclusion but wanted confirmation that my ageing mind was reasoning correctly
David
07-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidl Quote
Thanks for that excellent reply. I had sort of come to this conclusion but wanted confirmation that my ageing mind was reasoning correctly
David
Glad to help. =) I was investigating those modes a bit myself last winter, to find out how to get the correct white balance when using a filter in front of my flash.
Jonas