Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ Ivor- agreed, shooting at f/8 with strobe should cover all sorts of sins

Once I purchased the 40 I tested the focus adjust but ended up leaving it at 0. I shot a brick wall on an angle, trying to focus on a particular mortar seam. I'll give it another shot under more controlled conditions. Is the focus adjust universal across all lenses once made, or is it per lens? Also is the adjustment memorized or does the adjustment need to be typed in each time the lens is mounted? I read the manual on this earlier but can't recall now. thanks for your help.

07-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 should memorize for the lens, and I think it can memorize up to 15 I believe
07-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
I've had the k-5 (and k-20d which I hardly ever shoot) for about 6 months, as well as a bevy of the latest lenses, both Ltd and stm. I came over from Nikon, having shot d200 and d90s. My autofocus miss rate seems to me far far higher w/ the Pentax. If my subject is small-ish, and at mid-far distances I have almost no hope of the camera selecting the right subject. I take a photo of my toddler every week in the same chair, with a 40mm Ltd, from 10-15 feet, in which his feet are obviously closer than his head by a good 2 feet. I shoot w/ a flash in an umbrella, @f/8 usually, and whether I focus (single spot, af-s) and recompose, or select the slight right focus point (which I then turn vertically) it focuses on his feet 75% of the time. I am watching the focus confirmation light... I am getting seriously p*ssed off. I am fresh from an import session, so excuse my vehemence. I have no problem hitting focus when I'm shooting with my 21mm, @f/11, in full sun, with my subject 6 feet away, but it's the more interesting compositions which are blown here. I have read prior threads on the K-5 AF, wherein others seem to struggle too, and I am looking for some succinct responses from people as to whether this AF system is significantly inferior to competitors or not. If you have suggestions I'm all ears, but I'm pretty confident in my process. If there is no way around this issue I will jump ship fast. I won't wait for a $1800 K-3 to get first-rate AF. Once again, sorry for the frustrated tone. Thanks for any insight.
FYI, I come from Nikon too...and as much as I love my K-5, all around it is the best camera that I have ever had, AF is one area where i really miss Nikon.
"Auto Focus" isn't as Auto as I am used to.
07-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the focus adjust universal across all lenses once made, or is it per lens? Also is the adjustment memorized or does the adjustment need to be typed in each time the lens is mounted?
Just to add a detail to what eddie1960 already said: It can be selected on a per lens bases (Apply One) or across all lenses (Apply All).

07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, I'm not in trouble when focussing on things that sit in a chair using DA40mm and f8, so that must be something else troubling you.
07-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Tom, I just did some fascinating shots of cereal O's and ended up dialing the 40mm to -3. So that's something. I guess I need to go through some other lenses to determine if it's systemic or just the 40mm. What a pain. If it tightens up the focus though I'm more than happy to put in the work. I sure hope I can come to peace w/ the selective focus points though, some shots I don't want to focus-recompose.
07-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Tom, I just did some fascinating shots of cereal O's and ended up dialing the 40mm to -3. So that's something. I guess I need to go through some other lenses to determine if it's systemic or just the 40mm. What a pain. If it tightens up the focus though I'm more than happy to put in the work.
Glad to hear you are making at least a little progress in nailing down and solving the problem. I spent a decent portion of an afternoon testing the focus on all my lenses with the aperture wide open in good light outdoors. Thankfully, I only needed to adjust my FA77. It was a +6 adjustment. I'd had the lens for a while and had noticed quite a few shots that weren't as sharp as I'd have liked but always thought it was me doing something wrong until I bothered to test it and calibrate in the micro adjustment. I've since had a small number of shots be just a touch soft at large apertures so I'm now starting to wonder if I might actually need to tweek the adjustment to +5 or +7. I'm going to run some of my own tests soon.

I sure hope I can come to peace w/ the selective focus points though, some shots I don't want to focus-recompose.
I bet you will be able to. Unfortunately though, Pentax isn't exactly renowned for having stellar AF.
07-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a K-5/DA21 and found that I had to dial the lens to -4. Definitely sharper now.

02-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #24

I too am a bit frustrated with the speed of AF on the K-5. I am really hoping that they come out with a firmware to fix the AF speed and accuracy. All it is is software.
I know they want people to buy the K-5 II.
02-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phansu123 Quote
I too am a bit frustrated with the speed of AF on the K-5. I am really hoping that they come out with a firmware to fix the AF speed and accuracy. All it is is software.
I know they want people to buy the K-5 II.
Phase detect autofocus (PDAF) systems as used in the K-5 require complex hardware including its own dedicated mirror, optics and multiple sensors plus an autofocus motor and the lens focusing mechanism itself. Limitations in the K-5 AF speed and accuracy are owing to the design and calibration of these hardware components primarily.
02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #26

Thanks for the explanation.
02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #27

Which s type

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I personally don't recommend the focus and recompose method as it can be problematic. I do, however, recommend getting a new focusing screen. The S-type one from focusingscreen.com is highly regarded on the forum and I can attest to its benefits.
Thanks for the info but when I went to the site, I saw three different type S focusing screens. Which is it you recommend?
02-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #28
Pentaxian

You have the choice :

1. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen
2. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame)
3. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame/Grid)
4. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (Grid)
02-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You have the choice :

1. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen
2. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame)
3. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame/Grid)
4. K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (Grid)
FYI I have the blank one because I wanted a clean VF...however the gridlines do come in handy and I miss them sometimes.
Of course it is subjective and a matter of preference
02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
FYI I have the blank one because I wanted a clean VF...however the gridlines do come in handy and I miss them sometimes.
Of course it is subjective and a matter of preference
Thanks for clarifying that for me. From description, it looked like some were for AF and some not.