Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used it with a K7 and apple's Aperture & it works great. I've set it to only upload JPEGs and my idea is to shoot RAW+ and 2 mega pixel JPEG. Only the JPEG will upload and I'll keep the RAW in camera for full editing later. If you don't want a file to upload, just shoot RAW (as there'll be no JPEG to upload!).

07-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I have the K5, Eye-fi Pro2 sd card and the iPad 2.

Tried to make a direct connection a couple of months ago and found it slow. (and it only synced to the PC) It only wanted to find the home WiFi, and not the direct connection. I tried a laptop and the PC. Mixed success.. Put the Eye-fi card away for a couple of months.

This weekend I removed the home WiFi connection off the Ipad

Some tips and what I did to make it work. Yes I made it work!

*Re read the instructions. (why cause I should have done that in the first place - WiFi SD Cards: Eye-Fi Memory Cards: Wireless Photo and Video Uploads from your Camera to your Computer & the Web | Eye-Fi
Have reconnected the home WiFi to the iPad - Eye-fi is now named first in the sequence of connections.... Not sure why, but it works..)
Installed the software from the eye-fi card and installed to the PC / laptop
Configured the connections that I wanted. (don't transfer the movie file and the RAW files)
Downloaded the Ipad app. Made the direct connection easy to connect (Search for Eye-fi app in your iTunes account - download and sync).
Created at direct connection between the K5 and the Ipad.
I now shoot DNG and Jpeg as two files one transfers a copy to the iPad. (when close to the home WiFi it uploads to the internet...)
Configured that only the JPeg transfer to the Ipad.
Time lag is now 3-10 seconds for time of taking the image till when the image appears.. If you have taken several shots they come in approx 3- 5 images per second after the initial wait time..
The manufacturer has recommended that the auto time off should be extended as the K% will go to sleep during transfer = correct! Now extended to not sleep for a longer duration.. (yes you can flatten batteries this way.

Very happy with the review after shooting in a wireless mode.
The direct connections is easy when you use the app. Turn camera on then start the iPad app. Direct connection is about 2 seconds. Take an image - wireless transfer 3-10 seconds.

Took some images away from the iPad and come back into the WiFi connection distance (say 10 Meters Plus - more testing to follow to know how far.)

I also have used the PKtether option. PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras Faster (say 50% quicker) and you can control the settings and take and image. However you have the cable to contend with....

Sometimes it is nice to be wireless, who cares how you setup and take the image. I control that in my pre visualation before I take the image.. I can sync to my PC, Laptop or iPad wirelessly = Happy with that!

I do like the fact I can take an image and see it on a bigger screen or add the HDMI / VGA output cable to the Television for a bigger version (well in theory at this stage..)

Cheers

Rod

PS Yes, buy one would be my recommendation if you have the spare cash (read the instructions and don't try to transfer your RAW images or movie files on first impressions)