Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now I Am Set Up For Disney World!!!!

Hey folks I know I started a thread about the perfect "walk around" set up and I decided to order the 18-135mm lens and battery grip.
I got the grip last night, and let me say this- I am impressed! this thing is just perfect!, it has excellent build quality. I will use it for most of my photographic endeavors but will take it off when I am in the amusement parks because it adds almost a pound to my system making it a total of just about 3.5 pounds (that will be way too much for me to lug around all day. However it makes the camera fit my hands perfectly, I like how I still have most of my control when I turn the camera vertically. I will be using mostly the Energizer lithium 8x batteries but mostly as a back up because I have the camera set on to use the internal battery first and I plan on keeping that one topped off with a good charge. I decided to go with the AA batteries because it is nice to have an extra set of batteries in case my wife's K-X runs out of power.
Now - on to the good part, I received my lens today and once again I have got to say- I am impressed! I like how quiet it is and how responsive and quiet it is compared to the screw drive focusing. I have only taken a few shots so far and I just love the IQ of this lens. I am mostly used to the DAL kit lenses that came with my K-X and this is the first DA lens I have bought since, and it just blows those kit lenses away! Now that I am armed with this new combo I am really looking forward to my vacation, with the WR capabilities I wont really have to worry about the set up, and I can just go and enjoy myself knowing that I have a totally capable set up.
Now I am looking forward to receiving my "Capture" camera clip attaching device, and in the mean time I will be looking into some spare SD cards for back up.
Will post photos after vacation...........

07-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. Don't forget to put a backup SD card in the battery tray of the grip, it's saved me more than once.
07-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like I said before, I will be using the AA battery insert and that doesn't have a spot for an extra SD card, I usually have no problem remembering SD cards but AA batteries is a must for me. As long as I keep my internal car charged up it shouldn't be a problem and I should never really need the camera to turn to using those, but it is sure nice to have the batteries there in case I or my wife needs them
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Like I said before, I will be using the AA battery insert and that doesn't have a spot for an extra SD card, I usually have no problem remembering SD cards but AA batteries is a must for me. As long as I keep my internal car charged up it shouldn't be a problem and I should never really need the camera to turn to using those, but it is sure nice to have the batteries there in case I or my wife needs them
My mistake, sorry -I forgot.

07-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Now I am looking forward to receiving my "Capture" camera clip attaching device, and in the mean time I will be looking into some spare SD cards for back up.
Will post photos after vacation...........
I hope the Capture camera clip works out for you.

The reasons I chose the Black Widow Spider Holster were:

- It allows the camera to freely move as I walk. The Capture keeps the camera static, so camera momentum fights against you. That ball joint is also extremely handy when you want to sit down with the camera attached!
- The camera is locked in not just by a mechanical fastener, but by gravity.
- The V shaped entry makes it very easy to hit the target first time, every time.
- It's also half the price.

For me, where the Capture clearly wins is when attaching to a vertical backpack / bag strap. It seems to be the best vertical solution, whereas the Spider Holster seems to be the best horizontal one.

Regardless, welcome to the clip fold! If you're only using one lens (or have small primes in pockets), then to my mind a clip is a very practical solution.
07-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I hope the Capture camera clip works out for you.

The reasons I chose the Black Widow Spider Holster were:

- It allows the camera to freely move as I walk. The Capture keeps the camera static, so camera momentum fights against you. That ball joint is also extremely handy when you want to sit down with the camera attached!
- The camera is locked in not just by a mechanical fastener, but by gravity.
- The V shaped entry makes it very easy to hit the target first time, every time.
- It's also half the price.

For me, where the Capture clearly wins is when attaching to a vertical backpack / bag strap. It seems to be the best vertical solution, whereas the Spider Holster seems to be the best horizontal one.

Regardless, welcome to the clip fold! If you're only using one lens (or have small primes in pockets), then to my mind a clip is a very practical solution.
Those are all excellent points and I weighed the pros and cons of each system, the Capture I have watched since it's inception and I like supporting such things when someone is honestly trying to invent something and sell it, I know I would love to have some support when I invent something.
It is an excellent design and it does have it's short comings as well, like the way it is solid to your belt and tries to torque down, however I am going to design something (probably from a mouse pad) that I can put behind where I have the clip, that way it can take some of the friction from the rubbing camera. I am the opposite of you, I like the Camera to be solid and not flopping around. Target wise? well I am usually never in a hurry to stow my camera especially when it comes to a set up that is close to a $2000 set up. It will be a K-5 with the 18-135 lens without the battery grip, I weighed it and it is 1160 grams so I really don't think it is going to be an issue.
I do agree with you that ultimately the spider clip will be best for the belt and the Capture is best for a back pack strap, each clip has it's purpose and place and use, and I would just love to have both, but I only had the choice of getting one and I felt the capture was the best for my needs because ultimately it WILL end up being used on a backpack strap because I use a nice backpack for my camera gear. I really like the spider clip as well because of the build quality and ease of use, heck you can be drunk off your arse and STILL manage to reholster your camera without issue.
I will most likely be getting a spider connecter down the road but until then I think the capture will work fine
07-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Those are all excellent points and I weighed the pros and cons of each system, the Capture I have watched since it's inception and I like supporting such things when someone is honestly trying to invent something and sell it, I know I would love to have some support when I invent something.
It is an excellent design and it does have it's short comings as well, like the way it is solid to your belt and tries to torque down, however I am going to design something (probably from a mouse pad) that I can put behind where I have the clip, that way it can take some of the friction from the rubbing camera. I am the opposite of you, I like the Camera to be solid and not flopping around. Target wise? well I am usually never in a hurry to stow my camera especially when it comes to a set up that is close to a $2000 set up. It will be a K-5 with the 18-135 lens without the battery grip, I weighed it and it is 1160 grams so I really don't think it is going to be an issue.
I do agree with you that ultimately the spider clip will be best for the belt and the Capture is best for a back pack strap, each clip has it's purpose and place and use, and I would just love to have both, but I only had the choice of getting one and I felt the capture was the best for my needs because ultimately it WILL end up being used on a backpack strap because I use a nice backpack for my camera gear. I really like the spider clip as well because of the build quality and ease of use, heck you can be drunk off your arse and STILL manage to reholster your camera without issue.
I will most likely be getting a spider connecter down the road but until then I think the capture will work fine
Enjoy Disney, and please give us a full report of how the new gear (including the Capture system) works for you on the trip.

07-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have a great set up! You won't have to fear the water rides! Having a complete weather resistant kit is definitely reassuring and quite handy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it during as well as long after your vacation.
07-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Enjoy Disney, and please give us a full report of how the new gear (including the Capture system) works for you on the trip.
Well as it looks right now I will be using the Capture clip 99% of the time(that is if I get it in time) And I feel this trip will be a good test of this set up, and a test of my wifes K-x w/kit lenses (she really likes that set up)

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Sounds like you have a great set up! You won't have to fear the water rides! Having a complete weather resistant kit is definitely reassuring and quite handy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it during as well as long after your vacation.
I mainly wanted the whole thing to be WR because I will be around a lot of water, I will however try and protect it from getting wet. but I know the inevitable will happen, I trust Pentax equipment and have trusted it since I was in my early teens, it has never let me down and now I am 47 and still loving Pentax product. I have taken a few practice shots with this new lens and I am very happy with the results.
This is my first actual vacation EVER, I worked construction my whole life and was never able to take a vacation, it was feast or famine, ya I got laid off many a time due to lack of work but I NEVER considered that a vacation because I was either worried about when I would be getting work again or I was on call in case any work popped up.
I have dropped out of photography for many years even though it was always my main hobby, i was always consumed in my work and career and never took the time to just stand back and get back into what I loved the most-photography.
I got out of construction and am now in the medical tech field and the company I work for allows for vacation time I earn every year. We are heading down to FL and I am really looking forward to just relaxing with my family and basically getting back in touch with the important things in life.
The main thing I am really looking forward to is lots and lots of photographs, I will be totally getting back into doing what I love the most, I will be taking all the pictures and most of the pictures that I will be in, I will be sporting a camera in my hands. This is relaxing and very enjoyable and I cannot wait. I will mostly (95% of the time) be using my new 18-135 lens, but there will be times when I will use my 50mm 1:1.4 m lens(my favorite from the old days and my baby, I use the heck out of this lens) and I also will be packing my old Vivitar lenses, mainly my 35mm 2.5, and my Vivitar 200mm f3.5 lens, and possibly my 135mm Vivitar f2.5 and my 105mm Vivitar f2.5. These Vivitar lenses are a lot of fun to use and they produce excellent IQ for as old as they are (screw mount lenses)
We will be going down the coast and taking our time, so I will be asking my wife to stop here and there for the photo ops.
07-15-2012, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This is my first actual vacation EVER, I worked construction my whole life and was never able to take a vacation
Everyone deserves a break to relax and have some fun. It's important for physical and mental health. You especially deserve your vacation if you've never really had one!

We are heading down to FL and I am really looking forward to just relaxing with my family and basically getting back in touch with the important things in life. The main thing I am really looking forward to is lots and lots of photographs, I will be totally getting back into doing what I love the most, I will be taking all the pictures and most of the pictures that I will be in, I will be sporting a camera in my hands.
Awesome! Photography is so much fun and combined with a vacation like the one you have planned is sure to be a blast.

I'm curious if you have a few extra things. Do you have a tripod, an IR shutter remote, or an ND filter? The tripod can be used for all sorts of things but with the IR remote you can set up family shots with all of you in the pic. Pentax has a waterproof remote too. With the tripod and a dark ND filter, like 10 stops, you can do long exposures in the day time. There are some great examples of this style on the forum. The member Twitch comes to mind as having some impressive shots with daytime long exposures using a 10 stop ND filter. There would be lots of cool things to shoot that way at a place like Disney World; you could really capture the sense of all the movement of the rides and people. Getting your family to accommodate and put up with your photography experiments is another matter though.

Whether you have an external flash or not I'd recommend experimenting with slow speed sync and trailing curtain sync in order to capture some interesting shots showing motion. I would especially recommend this once the sun is down when you're still in the park and the lights on the rides are all lit up. The leading and trailing lights of the rides would be really cool looking, I imagine.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-15-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
07-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Everyone deserves a break to relax and have some fun. It's important for physical and mental health. You especially deserve your vacation if you've never really had one!

Awesome! Photography is so much fun and combined with a vacation like the one you have planned is sure to be a blast.

I'm curious if you have a few extra things. Do you have a tripod, an IR shutter remote, or an ND filter? The tripod can be used for all sorts of things but with the IR remote you can set up family shots with all of you in the pic. Pentax has a waterproof remote too. With the tripod and a dark ND filter, like 10 stops, you can do long exposures in the day time. There are some great examples of this style on the forum. The member Twitch comes to mind as having some impressive shots with daytime long exposures using a 10 stop ND filter. There would be lost of cool things to shoot that way at a place like Disney World; you could really capture the sense of all the movement of the rides and people. Getting your family to accommodate and put up with your photography experiments is another matter though.

Whether you have an external flash or not I'd recommend experimenting with slow speed sync and trailing curtain sync in order to capture some interesting shots showing motion. I would especially recommend this once the sun is down when you're still in the park and the lights on the rides are all lit up. The leading and trailing lights of the rides would be really cool looking, I imagine.
One of the things that really concerned my wife as we were planning this rip was- the fact that she felt that I really shouldn't be packing a lot of stuff on my person, I agreed with her and have decided to take the light weight essentials and keep it all simple and narrowed down to just one lens and a camera for the parks and such. I however will be packing lots of those things you mentioned in the car and will be using those in other types of situations on my vacation, I will be balancing my photography evenly with having fun with my family.
When it comes to getting group shots I have always just found some passer by that was usually someone carrying a DSLR set up themselves, and ask them to take a shot of us with my set up. For one, I figure since they already have a DSLR then they wont run off with mine, and also they probably have enough knowledge to operate one and have a sense of what they are doing, Once last year I did that with someone with a Canon and I handed them my K-x with the kit lens, and that individual took some shots of us as a qroup and when he was done, he gave me nothing but compliments on my "little" K-X, he especially likes how it felt in his hands....that made my day.
As for longer timed shots? i usually make it a challenge to do those hand held and have come out with pretty good results.
07-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

One of the things that really concerned my wife as we were planning this rip was- the fact that she felt that I really shouldn't be packing a lot of stuff on my person, I agreed with her and have decided to take the light weight essentials and keep it all simple and narrowed down to just one lens and a camera for the parks and such. I however will be packing lots of those things you mentioned in the car and will be using those in other types of situations on my vacation, I will be balancing my photography evenly with having fun with my family.
Wives tend to know a thing or two about what's practical and what's not. Balancing your photography with family is the right way to go about it. You've got a well thought out plan and I'd stick to it.