Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #1

Strap for K5

I just got a K5 but hate using the neck strap. I have a Pentax 18-250mm lens so it quite heavy. Any suggestions on other straps.
Thanks

07-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I have a Blackrapid shoulder strap on my K7 and I love it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Blackrapid
There are numerous variants of this type of strap aswell if too pricey.
07-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

i went with one of the cheaper versions: Op/Tech USA Utility Sling and like it much better than the Carry Speed CS1 that I had previously.
07-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a huge fan of the Domke Gripper straps. They are made of breathable canvas webbing with grippy rubber threads woven into the fabric.
  • No, they are not padded with sweat-inducing rubber foam.
  • No, they aren't made of bouncy neoprene.
  • No, they don't cost as much as a high capacity memory card.
  • Yes, they come in different widths for small vs. large cameras
  • Yes, the available colors are low-key
  • Yes, they will securely keep the camera on your shoulder, if that is how you use a strap
  • Yes, they are not bulky
  • Yes, they are VERY durable
I like them so much that I bought two boxes...enough for all the cameras in my collection.

Steve

(...don't particularly like the swivel connect versions though...not really that great a feature in practice...)

07-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
i went with one of the cheaper versions: Op/Tech USA Utility Sling
+1 - I like the OpTech system but instead use an Envy strap section as it is slimmer and just as comfy.

The nice thing about Op/Tech is that you can customize the system to your liking as the parts are all interchangeable.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
07-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I use the black rapid, works fine. Make sure the eye is really tight though. It tends to loosen with use and I dropped my camera last winter, lucky just into the snow.
07-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camdapter

I use these.

07-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I often have large heavy lenses - up to 3kgs - on my K5 so use a copy of the Black Rapid. You can't hand-hold these (or even the 1kg DA*300) for a few hours shooting. For additional security I also clip another D ring onto the camera strap lug and secure that to the Black Rapid lookalike. If the screw in the plate loosens and comes undone (it has happened once) then the additional little strap to the D ring saves(saved) the day. It gave me a shock (panic) at the time but the camera and lens were saved from potentially terminal damage.
07-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use a kata neoprene strap that also attaches to my kata backpack. I love that when I am just walking around with the backpack I can get the weight off of my neck.
07-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Closed Account

I've used the Lowepro Transporter for 3 years now, and it honestly shows no signs of wear. It's certainly a lot cushier than the supplied Pentax strap, but it's also just a strap, i.e. nothing fancy.
07-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an Upstrap on my K7. It's got a wide rubber pad which distributes the weight of the camera/lens, and enables me to carry the K7 and Sigma 70-200 comfortably.

Camera Strap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps - UPstrap

Regards
07-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a Tamrac Web, no skid strap that I like very much. It is strong with good hardware and when I have a daypack on I can use the quick release Tamrac straps on the backpack straps to hold the camera, with the weight on the pack, not my neck. Works well.
07-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
neoprene strap
I'm using a "Pentax" neoprene strap, and the difference from the regular is huge. It's so much easier to carry weight.
07-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Forum Member

I had a Blackrapid sling strap but as I like to keep the battery grip on my K5 (I have big hands), it made the grip wobbly when a heavy zoom lens was attached. The eye needs to be really tight as it tends to become loose and you may end up dropping your expensive equipment.

I now use a CAMDAPTER Sling Pro (combined sling and hand strap). It is very versatile - you leave the hand strap on - and easy to remove the sling if needed. It is also very secure and carries your precious gear near your body with the lens pointing down. It's pricey but I don't think I'll settle for anything else.

Ramon
07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate bulky straps and metal clips, so back in the 1970s found that 1/4" braided parachute cord would compress and fit through the eyelets on my Leicaflex and other cameras. I'd loop it around and thread back into the braid so it would retain without any knots. It's held up for 40 years on the Leicaflex (which is not a light body), leaves no marks on the camera, takes no space in my gear bag. Still my favorite strap!