Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 focus

I notice that the review of the K30 includes the new "SAFOX IXi+ autofocus system" pardon my ignorance but is this purely software.

If it is software why do Pentax not upgrade existing software for the K5 to the equivalent of the K30.

Canon have recently announced an upgrade to the software of the 7D.

"This includes improved continuous-shooting buffer depth (to 25 Raws, up from the original 15), customizable Auto ISO, control of audio recording level for video and the ability to re-process Raws and rate images in-camera. The update will also enable the use of the GP-E2 GPS module. It will be available from August 2012."

If Canon are prepared to offer existing clients upgrades why not Pentax.

07-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #2

I'm quite certain this is part of the Prime M processing engine so it's a completely new system.
07-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's probably not just software. I haven't any idea what's the difference in AF between the K-30 and the K-5, but most upgrades in the past were about performance, i.e. mostly hardware based I would think.

BTW, Pentax has a long tradition offering firmware upgrades to their existing user base. These don't always offer what users are asking, but often useful features were added to the camera.

Wim
07-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SAFOX IXi+ adds diffractive optics in addition to the upgraded algorithm.

07-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also keep in mind that releasing free upgrades isn't something that companies in this industry like to do, especially for consumer products, as it means people will be less likely to upgrade to a newer body when it comes out

But, if you ask me, Pentax might as well have included features such as +/- 5EV bracketing and other more advanced features rather than making them exclusive to high-end bodies. Hardware stuff I can understand (i.e. ultrasonic DR vs regular DR), but if a camera has more features out of the box, then it'll obviously be more attractive, at little extra cost to Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: