Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Blue cast in top of image

Hey guy's,

I am a new K5 user here. I have been using it with the kit lens for a week now but just picked up a 35mm f2.4 lens today. I was out side before playing around just trying to get a picture after it had just rained and noticed that I was getting a blue color at the top of the image. It was just about sunset and there was an orange sky just visible in the trees. Here is what I got. I know the settings are not the best but I tried many different settings and they all had the blue color. Is this a lens problem? There was no blue color at all in the sky I was shooting. I had auto white balance selected and shot in JPEG. Thanks

Name:  IMGP1957.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  167.7 KB

07-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Auto whitebalance is the likely culprit. If you don't want to mess about with colour settings, use some of the presets; scene mode has a sunset option that captures the natural colours quite well.

Alternatively, shoot in raw (or raw+jpg) and you can adjust the white balance in post to what was most natural to your eye.

Edit: seems the K-5 doesn't have scene modes (according to comparison here) so your only option is to shoot raw and adjust in it, or set colour balances manually, I suppose.
07-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey there, Thanks for your response. I usually always shoot in raw but was just testing out the lens and switched to JPEG. The weird thing was that some shots came out ok and then there were like 4 in a row with the blue. I did not see this happen with the kit lens in the week I have used it and in similar lighting. Thats why I thought maybe a lens problem?
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Unless you have a polariser on the lens, I doubt it; I've never seen colourisation like that be a lens issue. Though only tests will tell, I suppose. Do more shooting and see, is the easiest way to tell -- test in various lighting conditions and at different times of day (and in raw to be able to compare white balance in post) to compare would be for the best.

Rapid changes in colour gradients at sunrise and sunset can lead to very wonky AWB and I have experienced strange discolouration myself, and it is certainly not lens specific (though may be more prominent at certain FLs than others, depending on the angle of light and other such factors).

07-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. I will set back to Raw and give it a go tomorrow.
07-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It was AWB, it (over)compensated the orange colour of the sky around the setting sun, making everything else blueish.
07-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks.

07-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
The weird thing is that this happens only with the DA 35 2.4 lens and not the Kit 18-55. I never had a problem like this with any other camera set to auto white balance. Weird. And I can shoot the same scene and one shot will be ok and the other blue. I usually shoot raw and auto white balance and fix later in PP. I don't want to have to set the white balance every time.
07-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yes, yes, it's obviously a white balance issue, but when I first saw the thread title, I immediately thought "I wonder if he is shooting through his car's windshield."
Funny It does look like that though.