Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Half press of shutter button on K-5 being temperamental

I've started experiencing this very frustrating problem with the shutter button not responding consistently to a half press. This is a serious problem for me because it means I can't take shots as quickly as I need to. I've always used the half press to auto focus. I've also always used it to get me out of the menu or playback and back into the shooting mode but now it gets stuck regularly when I'm in either the menu or playback. I know I can use the AF button on the back of the camera, and that's what I've started doing, but that's not my preferred method. I only noticed this issue recently but it is becoming more and more frequent. It's not consistent and I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it other than it seems most common after being in the menu or playback. The one coincidence is that I think it started after I updated to firmware version 1.13 a couple of weeks ago. It might have started before then, I can't be certain, but it's definitely gotten worse since then. Any suggestions or info to help solve this problem will be greatly appreciated. Maybe this has been described and troubleshot by others, I didn't find anything in my preliminary searches though. I'll be disappointed if it's just the the shutter button wearing out, especially since I only have around 17,000 actuations on the camera. I'm passed warranty and I'm not in a position right now to send it in for service either.

07-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You might want to check and make sure your exposure settings aren't all out of whack.
07-20-2012, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter button on k-x and k-5 has had some issues discussed in a number of threads. Consensus seems to be some dirt or grit gets into the button and causes it to act erratically. I had this on the k-x. Only solution suggested, short of sending it in for repair, was to exercise the button. I know that sounds weird but it worked for me. With the camera off, firmly press the button all the way down and then release, do this twenty times or so. I did it with the camera upside on the theory that anything in there should fall out, but I have no idea if that actually helped. Anyway, after I did that the k-x has worked fine. YMMV, but its worth a try.

Others have suggested electronics cleaner or 'flossing' around the button but I did not want to spray anything on my camera so I tried this. Do a search for 'sticking shutter button' or similar and you should find those threads.
07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Only solution suggested, short of sending it in for repair, was to exercise the button. I know that sounds weird but it worked for me. With the camera off, firmly press the button all the way down and then release, do this twenty times or so.
I followed these steps and now my shutter is responding quickly and consistently like it used to. I can AF on demand with a half press without having to mash on the button and end up taking a picture before I want to. I can also reliably snap out of playback and the menu to start shooting again. Honestly, I was getting worried that my K-5 had lost its snappy responsiveness that I rely on. Thank you so much for the help! This forum can be invaluable at times.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.
07-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I should try this too. There are times when I don't get AF while half-pressing, thinking that I did not press the button hard enough, then press harder and take an OOF shot. I tried washing the button under running water, it helped a little. Maybe this will help more.
12-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hope this works

I just began experiencing exactly the same issue this weekend

I am in warranty but I was so worried about losing my caerma for the next weeks when I want it to take photos, already considering an excuse to get a K-30 as a second body to use while the K-5 was away... I will try this tonight, fingers crossed!