Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
This is a great way to go because grain is fixable in post-processing, particularly with the K-5, but hand shake and DoF really aren't.

07-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
andre-mz5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eindhoven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 268
I already used TAv with the K10D when I was shooting sports. However the high iso performance of the k10 could not help me when shooting indoor sports. Now with the introduction of the K5 that high iso performance realy covers a very wide spectrum. I have auto iso set to 100-6400, but in dim sport arena's I will set it to 100-10000.
So yes, I'm a big fan of TAv
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian
StephenHampshire's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,256
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Tav mode is one of the coolest features on the better cams, i use it a lot when i am shooting with an AF lens (sadly it doesn't apply for manual focus lenses )
yes it does if they have an A setting!
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
yes it does if they have an A setting!
Sadly my MF lenses are mostly Taks (well not sadly they are great lenses) I'm in process of getting rid of the m/k series and will just keep the m4/2 stuff (which is a pretty complete range from 20-300 just missing a 24 and maybe a better 300)
I can shoot av mode with auto iso set to fast though which is close

07-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian
StephenHampshire's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,256
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Sadly my MF lenses are mostly Taks (well not sadly they are great lenses) I'm in process of getting rid of the m/k series and will just keep the m4/2 stuff (which is a pretty complete range from 20-300 just missing a 24 and maybe a better 300)
I can shoot av mode with auto iso set to fast though which is close
Thats true and a good tip.
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,399
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What was the shutter speed in TAV compared to the shutter speed in AV?
6400 vs one much lower(can't remember).
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
6400 vs one much lower(can't remember).
What lens did you use and what aperture? If you set the shutter speed to 1/6400s indoors, I can see why the k-5 chose ISO 10,000 for that shot.
07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,918
I love this mode. It was such a pleasant surprise when I got my k5. Combined with the high iso performance it allows me to better/more easily use my slower lenses in many more circumstances than I could before...


Last edited by todd; 07-23-2012 at 12:45 PM.
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,399
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What was the shutter speed in TAV compared to the shutter speed in AV?
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What lens did you use and what aperture? If you set the shutter speed to 1/6400s indoors, I can see why the k-5 chose ISO 10,000 for that shot.
43 Ltd@1.9-2.2 for isolation because guys love your bokeh(which is a term I never saw until I joined this site). I think what's throwing me off is I'm thinking in terms of ASA as I love fine grain.

So, if I'm thinking correctly, you have shutter/aperture control in Manual, Hyper-program and TAv...right?

Last edited by tabl10s; 07-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
07-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,625
Makes sense - I'll assume the shutter speed set in Av mode was about 1/80, which would match double the focal length.

im not sure about hyper program. From the manuals, i thought hyper program allow you to switch between Sv or Av quickly, but not allow full manual.
07-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,399
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Makes sense - I'll assume the shutter speed set in Av mode was about 1/80, which would match double the focal length.

im not sure about hyper program. From the manuals, i thought hyper program allow you to switch between Sv or Av quickly, but not allow full manual.
Probably (AV). Hyper is Manual if you don't like what the camera choose's(I choose Jiff btw...:^). TAv allows you to switch between Tv and Av on the fly.

Last edited by tabl10s; 07-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #27
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY/Germany
Posts: 1,183
So maybe it would help me understand TAV better if I know how it differs from Hyperprogram using the Auto ISO function. I'm switching shutter and aperture manually when I'm in P-mode, I tailor what the ISO does and how fast or slow it goes, then when I want to go to a selected range that's appropriate to shoot before one can think, I simply hit the green button and it goes back to a standard P move with auto ISO.

So how is TAV different and it would help to understand it if I know exactly what conditions it's made for.
07-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,625
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So maybe it would help me understand TAV better if I know how it differs from Hyperprogram using the Auto ISO function. I'm switching shutter and aperture manually when I'm in P-mode, I tailor what the ISO does and how fast or slow it goes, then when I want to go to a selected range that's appropriate to shoot before one can think, I simply hit the green button and it goes back to a standard P move with auto ISO.

So how is TAV different and it would help to understand it if I know exactly what conditions it's made for.
To me, TAV is manual with auto-ISO, and that's how it's done on the K-01. So if you are an avid manual user like me, TAV is a godsend since there's only two dials.
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
To me, TAV is manual with auto-ISO, and that's how it's done on the K-01. So if you are an avid manual user like me, TAV is a godsend since there's only two dials.
best explanation of it.
07-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY/Germany
Posts: 1,183
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
To me, TAV is manual with auto-ISO, and that's how it's done on the K-01. So if you are an avid manual user like me, TAV is a godsend since there's only two dials.
But then Hyperprogram is manual with auto ISO, which is TAv, but it also allows the camera, when there isn't time to set it up, to snap off a shot by adjusting basic parameters on its own, but then go back to manual without having to fiddle with the mode dial.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, iso, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, tav
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-01 TAv mode Na Horuk Pentax K-01 23 03-09-2013 08:33 PM
TAV workaround devorama Pentax Q 5 03-08-2012 12:55 PM
TAv Mode L33tGreg Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 07-21-2011 01:20 PM
Using the TAv mode with the K7 ... question. jpzk Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 11-22-2010 07:10 PM
TAv mode Howard2k Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-23-2010 01:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top