Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tried TAV For The First Time...

yesterday while photographing Table Tennis. It was a learning experience to say the least. I discovered the K-5 picked ISO 10000 in TAV while it chose ISO 80 in AV. Cool.

07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully someone with a k-5 can correct me, but isn't TAV mode auto-iso that lets you set both your shutter and aperture manually?

From my understanding of the Av mode using auto-iso on Pentax cams, they aim for the ISO setting that allows them to use 1/(2xFL) of the lens. Or at least that's what it does on my k-x.
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a very handy mode, I use it in nighttime shooting and with flash sometimes as well.
07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is why I mainly use Hyper Program and AV. All this TV/TAV/SV rubbish is confusing.

07-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't really say that. I don't use Tv or Sv, but I would love TAV on my k-x. That's one of the big selling points for me getting a k-5/k-30. Auto-ISO while letting me define my aperture and shutter speed is really useful.
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use TAv a lot on my K20 and K5- set shutter speed for freezing motion, set aperture for DoF let ISO float- even better on my K5 because within reason there is little disadvantage to the higher ISO settings, unlike the K20. The main problem with this mode is overexposure once ISO bottoms out. What I would like is an overide option that allows the shutter speed to increase or aperture decrease (selectable) There is a menu option, something like "auto EV compensation when proper exposure not obtained" I've never worked out ehat this actually does, doesn't appear to allow the scenario outlined!
07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
yesterday while photographing Table Tennis. It was a learning experience to say the least. I discovered the K-5 picked ISO 10000 in TAV while it chose ISO 80 in AV. Cool.
What was the shutter speed in TAV compared to the shutter speed in AV?

07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Don't forget you also got three setting on how "quick" auto-ISO will increase. (slow/normal/fast).
Using fast setting on auto-ISO will let the camera choose faster shutter speed in Av, which can be useful when shooting sport with long lenses.
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't understand the confusion around TAv. It simply floats the ISO while keeping T and Av at your chosen values. This is brilliant for certain shooting.

The high ISO capability of the K-5 also makes it a very viable mode for challenging situations. I use it for shooting birds in the last afternoon sun with a Sigma 170-500mm which works best at Av at about f/8-f/11 and T at about 1/350s. So TAv is just the right recipe.
07-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
I don't understand the confusion around TAv. It simply floats the ISO while keeping T and Av at your chosen values. This is brilliant for certain shooting.

The high ISO capability of the K-5 also makes it a very viable mode for challenging situations. I use it for shooting birds in the last afternoon sun with a Sigma 170-500mm which works best at Av at about f/8-f/11 and T at about 1/350s. So TAv is just the right recipe.
I agree...TAv is very cool, and I am in it about 40%-50% of the time. The K-5 is such a great performer in high ISO sitautions, I like to be able to set my shutter speed high to minimize handshake and still maintain my aperture for creative purposes. Then i let the camera play around with ISO.
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, very useful particularly with the range you want ISO to float within adjustable. Sometimes the only thing that matters is getting the shot so set the high end as far up as you want. But if low noise is important then set the range to 80 - 800 and let it float within. You do have to watch that it does not go out of bounds if light is changing a lot but within the limits it is a great tool.
07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
From my understanding of the Av mode using auto-iso on Pentax cams, they aim for the ISO setting that allows them to use 1/(2xFL) of the lens. Or at least that's what it does on my k-x.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but in Av my K-5 has ISO fixed at the base ISO, which is 80 if you have expanded ISO mode selected, then the shutter speed is set to whatever gives the proper exposure.
Edit: Re-reading your post, maybe i am not in auto-ISO?
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Banned

The confusion exists because one can use P and auto-ISO, and still be able to adjust aperture and shutter.

Or sensitivity, then set the ISO.

I admit, it's hard to wrap my head around this, to be honest.
07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but in Av my K-5 has ISO fixed at the base ISO, which is 80 if you have expanded ISO mode selected, then the shutter speed is set to whatever gives the proper exposure.
Edit: Re-reading your post, maybe i am not in auto-ISO?
Yeah I was referring to auto-ISO in Av mode, otherwise OP's post wouldn't make sense. My k-x will select the ISO required to keep my shutter speed at 1/(2xFL) - so when I use my Sigma 50mm, it tries to keep the shutter speed at 1/100s.

The reason why TAV trumps auto-ISO in AV mode is because I can't force the shutter speed in Av mode to be higher for sports unless I want to change to Sv.

I don't know much about Program mode since I only use Av and Manual. I understand that Hyper-program modes give you a lot more options, but I don't think they can replace TAV.
07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Tav mode is one of the coolest features on the better cams, i use it a lot when i am shooting with an AF lens (sadly it doesn't apply for manual focus lenses )