Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter

HSS Flash.

When is it beneficial on the K-5 and can I only access feature during manual operation? I don't have a Metz AF-2 yet, but will after I purchase two more Ltd's(15/21).

07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I find it most useful when shooting a single subject (or maybe a couple close together) against a bright sky. There's a couple things you should know though. As your shutter speed increases, the power of the flash decreases. Basically it's most useful between 1/200th and 1/1000th, beyond that the guide number is too low for anything but macro work. I use the Metz 58 AF2, and at ISO 100 @ f/8 and with the zoom head set to 50mm the working distance is about 2 feet at 1/1000th, and that's with no light modifier. You could open up the aperture or increase the ISO, but that will let in more ambient as well.

So if you have the flash on your hotshoe, you have to get very close to your subject. I normally use a long TTL cord instead. You could set the flash up wirelessly, but you would need 2 HSS flashes, one on the hotshoe (the master), and one off camera, (the slave). Why two you might ask? Well unfortunately Pentax cameras won't sync over 1/180th without a HSS flash on the hotshoe, period. It's like the camera wants someone to hold it's hand and tell it everything will be ok. That's one of those things that you don't realize until buy one and try to make it work. Shame on you, Pentax.

Hope that helps.
07-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It did. Thanks.
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, to answer your other question, you can use HSS in Tv, Av, TAv and M mode. I can't get the K20d to cross the 1/180th barrier in Sv or P mode, I'm assuming the K-5 is the same. M is probably the best though because the camera may try to strike a different balance between flash and ambient than the one you are after. Setting the flash EV comp to +1 or +2 might work though in one of the automatic modes.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 07-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.
07-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the info maxfield_photo regarding HSS and the lack of the built - in flash to trigger this wirelessly. I have just started to use the 360 in HSS for outdoor fill flash and wasn't aware that the built-in flash doesn't trigger wireless off - camera flash in HSS. Just checked and this is only briefly mentioned in the manual. Guess I have to get another flash!