Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Newbie need advice

Honestly, I don't know where should I put this thread, on the flashlight discussion or in pentax K-5 discussion. Since I'm K-5 user and I'm looking for K-5 users also, I put this thread below Pentax K-5 sub forum.

Recently, I want to buy a flash for my K-5. Is there any suggestion for me? I'm just a noob in flash photography.

I don't mind if it is a full manual flash like Yongnuo. But when I'm browsing this forum, I found that YN560 has a bad compatibility with K-5. Even that problems has been solved, I don't have an electrical knowledge to follow the instructions.

I'm also heard that using other brand can also work but it turn to full manual flash. Is there anyone has that kind of experience?

Thank you.

07-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi hamrio (and welcome, if no-one's said that before)

I can highly recommend the Metz lineup. I have the Metz 48AF-1, which is now superseded by the 50AF-1, both of which are fairly popular with Pentax shooters. The advantage of the 48 and 50 Metz guns over the Pentax equivalent (the AF360), is that they have tilt and swivel heads, whereas the Pentax model only has tilt - you have to move up to the AF540, which is more expensive, for tilt and swivel.

Rob
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The advantage of the 48 and 50 Metz guns over the Pentax equivalent (the AF360), is that they have tilt and swivel heads, whereas the Pentax model only has tilt - you have to move up to the AF540, which is more expensive, for tilt and swivel.
This was the very reason I went to the AF540 from the AF360. However, the AF540 is reportedly being replaced by Pentax, so I think they've recently stopped making them and are selling the remaining stock. I've heard good things about the Metz but not used them, so unless you find a good deal on an AF540 I would think Metz would be a good choice right now.
07-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi hamrio (and welcome, if no-one's said that before)

I can highly recommend the Metz lineup. I have the Metz 48AF-1, which is now superseded by the 50AF-1, both of which are fairly popular with Pentax shooters. The advantage of the 48 and 50 Metz guns over the Pentax equivalent (the AF360), is that they have tilt and swivel heads, whereas the Pentax model only has tilt - you have to move up to the AF540, which is more expensive, for tilt and swivel.

Rob
Between Metz 48 and Metz 50, is the difference is significant? Is there any problem with K-5?

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
This was the very reason I went to the AF540 from the AF360. However, the AF540 is reportedly being replaced by Pentax, so I think they've recently stopped making them and are selling the remaining stock. I've heard good things about the Metz but not used them, so unless you find a good deal on an AF540 I would think Metz would be a good choice right now.
Yeah, I've heard metz is the best third party for pentax flashes. But I also want to know about other third party like sigma or cactus. Do you have any experience of them?

07-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hamrio Quote
Between Metz 48 and Metz 50, is the difference is significant? Is there any problem with K-5?
The Metz 50 is a bit more powerful than the 48. Other than that, I'm not sure of differences, but I seem to recall the 50 has a metal foot (I know the 48 has a plastic foot).

Yeah, I've heard metz is the best third party for pentax flashes. But I also want to know about other third party like sigma or cactus. Do you have any experience of them?
Metz has been my constant companion for the past 25 years, sorry (well, there might have been the odd other brand from time to time, too). Others will have to comment here.
07-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I have the Sigma EF-530 DG ST and do not have any issue with it. Best bang for the buck. I understand the latest model is even better.
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I use a 540FGZ and have no problems and the images are great, how ever the only down side is that it can take a bit too long to recharge (does anyone know if I can by buy battery holder to speed up the recharge)
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeeBee1 Quote
I use a 540FGZ and have no problems and the images are great, how ever the only down side is that it can take a bit too long to recharge (does anyone know if I can by buy battery holder to speed up the recharge)
I don't know if batteries voltage may help speeding up the process of the flashes recharge rate. But what batteries are you currently using right now? Try using a higher voltage battery.

07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

I only have a ring flash but I have read many posts regarding flashes and as far as I learnt, AUTO mode is more reliable than PTTL, which is available only in the most expensive Metz and Pentax flashes or in some other brand flashes like Nikon SB, which you can buy used for around 100$.

Dear Pentaxians please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by kamisu; 07-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
07-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeeBee1 Quote
Is this what you're referring to? Pentax TR Power Pack III 37225 B&H Photo Video

However, before you try that, make sure you've at least tried the best Energizer Lithium AAs in the flash first. If it's still too slow, then try the Power Pack if you like. The guy I got my AF540 from had one, but I only purchased the flash and a lens from him.
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I realize this isn't a complete answer, but the bottom line is that Metz makes flashes for some of the big guys, and for all we know they could end up making the AF540 replacement anyway. So even though I like my AF540, I'll probably being looking at Metz first next time, unless Pentax has a compelling new model.
07-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
The Metz 50 is a bit more powerful than the 48. Other than that, I'm not sure of differences, but I seem to recall the 50 has a metal foot (I know the 48 has a plastic foot).

Metz has been my constant companion for the past 25 years, sorry (well, there might have been the odd other brand from time to time, too). Others will have to comment here.
I see. There isn't a big difference then. I heard that Metz 48 is already discontinued. It is hard to find it right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I have the Sigma EF-530 DG ST and do not have any issue with it. Best bang for the buck. I understand the latest model is even better.
For newbie like me, the old model is not a problem. As long as it works well, It can be a tool for me to learn about flashes and lighting.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I realize this isn't a complete answer, but the bottom line is that Metz makes flashes for some of the big guys, and for all we know they could end up making the AF540 replacement anyway. So even though I like my AF540, I'll probably being looking at Metz first next time, unless Pentax has a compelling new model.
Yeah. Pentax must think about flashes also in their further development.
07-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I use Sanyo but last night i tested the flash gun again, I do not know what \i did but I was able to do multiple flashes, At least I am now happy hehehehe'
Thanks
Gary
07-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I don't know if batteries voltage may help speeding up the process of the flashes recharge rate. But what batteries are you currently using right now? Try using a higher voltage battery.
I use Sanyo but last night i tested the flash gun again, I do not know what \i did but I was able to do multiple flashes, At least I am now happy hehehehe'
Thanks