Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #1

K-5 and infinity

Hello,
I have been using K-5 for some time and recently discovred that when I set my 35mm and 77mm lenses for f=2.0 and f=1.8,respectively, pictures are not sharp at infinity. I calibrated the lenses using different test charts, but these charts are for close distances and I do not have the problem. But if I shoot landscapes, pictures at infinity are not as sharp as should be and infinity is niot reached. I tried LV option and it turned out that the lenses cannot reach infinit and on the screen, much enlarged, pictures are not sharp. I also tried K 135mm 2.5 and it was the same. Now I have the last software and pity I did not shoot landscapes before, I mainly focused on portraits and objects rather far but not very far so I could not see the issue.
Any commnents are welcome.
Alek

Last edited by Al74; 07-25-2012 at 09:16 AM.
07-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems very odd, maybe the mount is damaged and has become misaligned? Is it impossible to reach infinity focus on ANY lens?
07-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Seems very odd, maybe the mount is damaged and has become misaligned? Is it impossible to reach infinity focus on ANY lens?
I used to try three lenses. I am going to check others.
07-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

How far do you have to stop down before you can focus at infinity?

07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
hml

Interesting

I noticed the same thing this weekend but did not have time to explore it further. Everything nice and sharp when less than infinity. This was on a 200mm prime and the 55-300 DA. I shoot mostly wildlife so it does not interfer too much with picture taking. What firmware are you using? I'm on 1.13.

I'll test properly this weekend to see if there is anything to it. That means tripod, SD off, and different settings. Might have to try the AF adjustments.
07-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hml Quote
I noticed the same thing this weekend but did not have time to explore it further. Everything nice and sharp when less than infinity. This was on a 200mm prime and the 55-300 DA. I shoot mostly wildlife so it does not interfer too much with picture taking. What firmware are you using? I'm on 1.13.

I'll test properly this weekend to see if there is anything to it. That means tripod, SD off, and different settings. Might have to try the AF adjustments.
Yes, I also used to focus on subjects not so far from the camera (portraits). Once I was shooting the Main Marker Square in Cracow but buildings were not so far, everything was fine, but of course I did not use wide open apertures. I noticed the issue after coming back from Slovakia taking pictures of beautiful the Strbskie Plese (lake) and Tatra Mountains behind it. At home pictures were not so sharp as I hoped but at that time I believed that maybe the lens, FA 35mm 2.0 was not so great to take advantage of 16M sensor, but OTOH close subjects were sharp evet at 2.0....
I checked the problem in Croatia during holidays and some objects at infinity were not so sharp even around f 4-5.6 using 35, 77mm and 135mm 2.5.
Alek

Last edited by Al74; 07-30-2012 at 02:52 AM.
08-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
How far do you have to stop down before you can focus at infinity?
It seems that infinity is not reach at f=4 and f=5. I am going to send the camera to the service. It cannot be like that. Pictures from FA 35mm and K SMC 135mm are not sharp at these apertures.
08-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Al74 Quote
It seems that infinity is not reach at f=4 and f=5. I am going to send the camera to the service. It cannot be like that. Pictures from FA 35mm and K SMC 135mm are not sharp at these apertures.
Nice to see a ¨Cracowian¨ around!
I have also shot in Tatry with great results, using 18-55 and 50-200.

08-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small World, I was in Krakow just few months ago, great city, but only had the Q with me.
I did not notice any problems with modern lenses with infinity focusing on any of Pentax DSLR's.
Recently I pulled out from the cupboard my old Sigma 200mm 2.8 and I can not get sharp infinity on any of Pentax DSLR's bodies, very odd it was fine on film,
need to investigate, maybe something dislodged inside?
10-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dekao Quote
Nice to see a ¨Cracowian¨ around!
I have also shot in Tatry with great results, using 18-55 and 50-200.
Hello,
The probem still exists even after the tests in France. I shall probably send the camera again. Today I have checked again and see. I have compared with my friend's K-5. During the weekend I am going to compare the results.
10-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Small World, I was in Krakow just few months ago, great city, but only had the Q with me.
I did not notice any problems with modern lenses with infinity focusing on any of Pentax DSLR's.
Recently I pulled out from the cupboard my old Sigma 200mm 2.8 and I can not get sharp infinity on any of Pentax DSLR's bodies, very odd it was fine on film,
need to investigate, maybe something dislodged inside?
Hmm, just try to use the lenses wide open to check if infinity is sharp or not. Yes, Cracow is beautiful city, BTW. Especially the old part.
PS My K-5 is again in service in France...

Last edited by Al74; 11-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.